Homosexuality

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:27 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Homosexuality

#166

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:31 am

RickD wrote:
Murray wrote:^ I agree with you but just to play the devils advocate, how do you explain homosexuality in monkeys?
Guys, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here. Homosexuality, by definition, only pertains to humans. Look it up in any dictionary. :beat:
Webster
Definition of HOMOSEXUALITY
1
: the quality or state of being homosexual
2
: erotic activity with another of the same sex

Definition of HOMOSEXUAL
1ho·mo·sex·u·al
adj
\ËŒhō-mə-ˈsek-sh(ə-)wəl, -ˈsek-shəl\
1
: of, relating to, or characterized by a tendency to direct sexual desire toward another of the same sex

Dictionary.com
ho·mo·sex·u·al
   [hoh-muh-sek-shoo-uhl or, especially Brit., -seks-yoo-] Show IPA
adjective
1.
of, pertaining to, or exhibiting homosexuality.
2.
of, pertaining to, or noting the same sex.

Medical Dictionary

ho·mo·sex·u·al·i·ty definition
Pronunciation: /ËŒhō-mə-ËŒsek-shə-ˈwal-ət-ē/
Function: n
pl -ties ; 1 : the quality or state of being homosexual
2 : erotic activity with another of the same sex



So tell me - What do you call it when two animals of the same gender have sex with one another? I call it a homosexual act. I'd love to know what your word is. y#-o
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.

User avatar
SnowDrops
Established Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:16 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Homosexuality

#167

Post by SnowDrops » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:49 am

Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
RickD wrote:
Murray wrote:^ I agree with you but just to play the devils advocate, how do you explain homosexuality in monkeys?
Guys, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here. Homosexuality, by definition, only pertains to humans. Look it up in any dictionary. :beat:
Webster
Definition of HOMOSEXUALITY
1
: the quality or state of being homosexual
2
: erotic activity with another of the same sex

Definition of HOMOSEXUAL
1ho·mo·sex·u·al
adj
\ËŒhō-mə-ˈsek-sh(ə-)wəl, -ˈsek-shəl\
1
: of, relating to, or characterized by a tendency to direct sexual desire toward another of the same sex

Dictionary.com
ho·mo·sex·u·al
   [hoh-muh-sek-shoo-uhl or, especially Brit., -seks-yoo-] Show IPA
adjective
1.
of, pertaining to, or exhibiting homosexuality.
2.
of, pertaining to, or noting the same sex.

Medical Dictionary

ho·mo·sex·u·al·i·ty definition
Pronunciation: /ËŒhō-mə-ËŒsek-shə-ˈwal-ət-ē/
Function: n
pl -ties ; 1 : the quality or state of being homosexual
2 : erotic activity with another of the same sex



So tell me - What do you call it when two animals of the same gender have sex with one another? I call it a homosexual act. I'd love to know what your word is. y#-o
The point is animals don't actually think or have feelings the way humans do. They don't really have any sexuality in the human sense - that is, sexual desire, etc. So I don't have a word for it, but then again, it doesn't really exist. Homosexual acts... well, at best it's a misleading term.
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21332
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 1063 times

Re: Homosexuality

#168

Post by RickD » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:18 am

So tell me - What do you call it when two animals of the same gender have sex with one another? I call it a homosexual act. I'd love to know what your word is.
You are not understanding. Animals cannot have sexual intercourse. Only humans can. You are equating human sexuality with animal mating. Animals cannot be homosexual, because homosexuality only pertains to humans. Animals do not have "sex" as humans do.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1102
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Williston, North Dakota
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Homosexuality

#169

Post by Murray » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:21 am

RickD wrote:
So tell me - What do you call it when two animals of the same gender have sex with one another? I call it a homosexual act. I'd love to know what your word is.
You are not understanding. Animals cannot have sexual intercourse. Only humans can. You are equating human sexuality with animal mating. Animals cannot be homosexual, because homosexuality only pertains to humans. Animals do not have "sex" as humans do.

So should I not call sexual reproduction ,sexual? Tell me then, what is the scientific term for 2 animals of opposite sex having reproductive sex?
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte

KravMagaSelfDefense
Recognized Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:08 am
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Homosexuality

#170

Post by KravMagaSelfDefense » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:29 am

Murray wrote:
RickD wrote:
So tell me - What do you call it when two animals of the same gender have sex with one another? I call it a homosexual act. I'd love to know what your word is.
You are not understanding. Animals cannot have sexual intercourse. Only humans can. You are equating human sexuality with animal mating. Animals cannot be homosexual, because homosexuality only pertains to humans. Animals do not have "sex" as humans do.

So should I not call sexual reproduction ,sexual? Tell me then, what is the scientific term for 2 animals of opposite sex having reproductive sex?
No what he means, is that animals DO have sex but it's not the same sort of sex that humans are capable of. Animals do it out of their instinct to mate and reproduce. Humans often do it for other, darker reasons. So that's why he's saying there's a difference between two animals simply obeying their natural instinct to reproduce, and humans' CONSCIOUS DECISION to have sex with one of the same gender. Humans can make decisions. Animals obey instincts.
Maybe the atheist cannot find God for the same reason a thief cannot find a policeman. ~Author Unknown
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. ~ C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
Atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning. - C.S. Lewis.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21332
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 1063 times

Re: Homosexuality

#171

Post by RickD » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:30 am

Murray wrote:
RickD wrote:
So tell me - What do you call it when two animals of the same gender have sex with one another? I call it a homosexual act. I'd love to know what your word is.
You are not understanding. Animals cannot have sexual intercourse. Only humans can. You are equating human sexuality with animal mating. Animals cannot be homosexual, because homosexuality only pertains to humans. Animals do not have "sex" as humans do.

So should I not call sexual reproduction ,sexual? Tell me then, what is the scientific term for 2 animals of opposite sex having reproductive sex?
Sexual reproduction is an acceptable term in that instance. My point and Snowdrops point is that human sexuality is completely different than anything in the animal kingdom. Human sexual intercourse is how man and wife become one flesh. If you understand the significance of that, then you understand the difference between humans and animals in that regard.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:27 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Homosexuality

#172

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:00 am

SnowDrops wrote:
Jonouchi Katsuya wrote:
RickD wrote:
Murray wrote:^ I agree with you but just to play the devils advocate, how do you explain homosexuality in monkeys?
Guys, I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here. Homosexuality, by definition, only pertains to humans. Look it up in any . :beat:
Webster
Definition of HOMOSEXUALITY
1
: the quality or state of being homosexual
2
: erotic activity with another of the same sex

Definition of HOMOSEXUAL
1ho·mo·sex·u·al
adj
\ËŒhō-mə-ˈsek-sh(ə-)wəl, -ˈsek-shəl\
1
: of, relating to, or characterized by a tendency to direct sexual desire toward another of the same sex

Dictionary.com
ho·mo·sex·u·al
   [hoh-muh-sek-shoo-uhl or, especially Brit., -seks-yoo-] Show IPA
adjective
1.
of, pertaining to, or exhibiting homosexuality.
2.
of, pertaining to, or noting the same sex.

Medical Dictionary

ho·mo·sex·u·al·i·ty definition
Pronunciation: /ËŒhō-mə-ËŒsek-shə-ˈwal-ət-ē/
Function: n
pl -ties ; 1 : the quality or state of being homosexual
2 : erotic activity with another of the same sex



So tell me - What do you call it when two animals of the same gender have sex with one another? I call it a homosexual act. I'd love to know what your word is. y#-o
The point is animals don't actually think or have feelings the way humans do. They don't really have any sexuality in the human sense - that is, sexual desire, etc. So I don't have a word for it, but then again, it doesn't really exist. Homosexual acts... well, at best it's a misleading term.
Homo means same like "homozygous," genes that are the same. Sexual...well, we all know that pertains to sex. So animals which engage in sex with animals of the same gender are committing a homosexual act, regardless of whether they have "desires" or not. I don't see what's "misleading" about it at all. It doesn't matter whether or not you believe animals are capable of having a sexual orientation like humans. It simply is. And I certainly wouldn't say that no animals have sexual desire - there are species of mammals that have recreational sex, when they're not in heat. Even if you do believe that animals have no feelings or souls (which I wholeheartedly disagree with), you can't simply say that there isn't a word for homosexual acts in the animal kingdom.
Here, I'll provide some information about dolphins and brain activity:
http://www.wilddolphinswimshawaii.com/d ... cation.htm
You can certainly research more about their capacity for rational thought and feelings. We may not understand them completely, but it doesn't mean they don't have them.
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21332
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 1063 times

Re: Homosexuality

#173

Post by RickD » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:04 pm

Homo means same like "homozygous," genes that are the same. Sexual...well, we all know that pertains to sex. So animals which engage in sex with animals of the same gender are committing a homosexual act, regardless of whether they have "desires" or not. I don't see what's "misleading" about it at all.
What part of the definition of homosexual is it that you don't understand? Animals cannot commit a homosexual act. By definition, homosexuality pertains ONLY to humans. It is misleading, because you are changing the meaning of homosexual to make your point.
. Even if you do believe that animals have no feelings or souls (which I wholeheartedly disagree with), you can't simply say that there isn't a word for homosexual acts in the animal kingdom.
Many mammals do have souls, IMO.
There isn't a word for homosexual acts in the animal kingdom, because homosexuality is solely a human condition.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:27 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Homosexuality

#174

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:19 pm

RickD wrote:
Homo means same like "homozygous," genes that are the same. Sexual...well, we all know that pertains to sex. So animals which engage in sex with animals of the same gender are committing a homosexual act, regardless of whether they have "desires" or not. I don't see what's "misleading" about it at all.
What part of the definition of homosexual is it that you don't understand? Animals cannot commit a homosexual act. By definition, homosexuality pertains ONLY to humans. It is misleading, because you are changing the meaning of homosexual to make your point.
. Even if you do believe that animals have no feelings or souls (which I wholeheartedly disagree with), you can't simply say that there isn't a word for homosexual acts in the animal kingdom.
Many mammals do have souls, IMO.
There isn't a word for homosexual acts in the animal kingdom, because homosexuality is solely a human condition.
I already gave you several definitions from MANY dictionaries! None of which state that homosexuality is a human condition only! There are many definitions but all basically meaning animals who are attracted to those of the same gender. Animals including human beings.

Many people on this site claim that animals DON'T have souls! I am happy to know that your sect of Christianity has some level of compassion for animals...

If you don't believe they have feelings.... we are going to have to disagree.

Remember, it is christian churches that marries dogs. I would hope these dogs have feelings for each other. But like I said... MANY people on this site claim animals don't have souls, feelings, thoughts...
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.

User avatar
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1102
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Williston, North Dakota
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Re: Homosexuality

#175

Post by Murray » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:02 pm

^

Animals were created by god as companions in life for us. So yes, we(some of us) do not believe animals have souls, but yet we should still have respect for them as god put them here to 1) companionship 2) Use at times 3) admire. In the bible, if I remember correct, the OT laws actually have laws that are meant to protect animals and lower suffering, such as a certain way to kill them that is humane (kosher).

While I personally do not believe they have souls, many churches do, they believe that we will be accompanied by animals in heaven and such, really the question of animals having souls is a question of what is heaven like? Will it be like this world but perfect? Will it be all fluffy and white with just human spirits? Will it be animal spirits living with human sprits, who knows?

Honestly, this is not a big topic for christians as most christians do respect animals as they are gods creation, and that we really have no need to discuss if they have souls or not because discussing that really gets us nowhere in following jesus.

So my opinion in conclusion is really, no souls, respect them and treat them well because they are gods gifts, and don't worry your whole life wondering if they have souls or not because in the end, god will not ask you if you believed they had souls or not.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte

User avatar
SnowDrops
Established Member
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:16 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Homosexuality

#176

Post by SnowDrops » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:10 pm

Animals do have feelings, but they do not think or feel like humans - note that I am not saying they do not think or feel. Still, homosexuality only applies to humans not by definition (which you clearly brought out), but because humans are the only ones capable of having any kind of sexuality.
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21332
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 1063 times

Re: Homosexuality

#177

Post by RickD » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:22 pm

I already gave you several definitions from MANY dictionaries! None of which state that homosexuality is a human condition only! There are many definitions but all basically meaning animals who are attracted to those of the same gender. Animals including human beings.
Every definition you posted shows humanity only. Unless you're saying animals can have erotic activity. I understand if English is not your native language.
While I personally do not believe they have souls, many churches do, they believe that we will be accompanied by animals in heaven and such, really the question of animals having souls is a question of what is heaven like? Will it be like this world but perfect? Will it be all fluffy and white with just human spirits? Will it be animal spirits living with human sprits, who knows?
Murray, I think you may be confusing souls, and spirits. Soulish creatures were given the ability to feel, and have relationships with people. Humans alone, have spirits, which show we were made in the image of God.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 21332
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 199 times
Been liked: 1063 times

Re: Homosexuality

#178

Post by RickD » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Many people on this site claim that animals DON'T have souls! I am happy to know that your sect of Christianity has some level of compassion for animals...
I don't belong to any particular "sect" of Christianity. I don't think one has to believe some animals have souls, to have compassion for them.
Remember, it is christian churches that marries dogs. I would hope these dogs have feelings for each other. But like I said... MANY people on this site claim animals don't have souls, feelings, thoughts...
I don't know any churches that "marry" dogs. That is ridiculous, but understandable, because people don't understand what marriage is. If you think it is ok for dogs to marry, because they have feelings, would it be ok for me to marry my dog?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."



St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:27 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Homosexuality

#179

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:21 am

RickD wrote:
Many people on this site claim that animals DON'T have souls! I am happy to know that your sect of Christianity has some level of compassion for animals...
I don't belong to any particular "sect" of Christianity. I don't think one has to believe some animals have souls, to have compassion for them.
Remember, it is churches that marries dogs. I would hope these dogs have feelings for each other. But like I said... MANY people on this site claim animals don't have souls, feelings, thoughts...
I don't know any churches that "marry" dogs. That is ridiculous, but understandable, because people don't understand what marriage is. If you think it is ok for dogs to marry, because they have feelings, would it be ok for me to marry my dog?
I'm not OK with Dog Marriages. I feel they are silly because Dogs can not inform their human companions if they consent to said marriage.

No, I would not be OK with you marrying your dog because the dog can not consent. If it was granted the ability to be sentient and the ability to inform you and others of it's desire to marry you... I actually don't know what my answer would be then. I would be grossed out though that you would even consider this offer.
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.

Jonouchi Katsuya
Established Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:27 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Homosexuality

#180

Post by Jonouchi Katsuya » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:23 am

Animals do have feelings though. Scientist are finding out that Dolphins are as intelligent if not more intelligent in some areas then we are. Dolphins are sexual beings. They do have preference. They do chose their lovers.
Hi I am a Buddhist and I seek enlightenment. I do not know everything. I do not pretend to know everything. I desire strongly to discuss the Bible as you see it. Please correct me when I get something wrong.

Post Reply