Modest Dress and Headcoverings: Male Response?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Angel Cake
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Modest Dress and Headcoverings: Male Response?

Post by Angel Cake »

I've noticed that most of the posters here are male, and I was wondering if you had any thoughts about modest dress and/or headcoverings. I would be interested to get the male perspective as I have discussed this many times with my Christian sisters.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Modest Dress and Headcoverings: Male Response?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Angel Cake wrote:I've noticed that most of the posters here are male, and I was wondering if you had any thoughts about modest dress and/or headcoverings. I would be interested to get the male perspective as I have discussed this many times with my Christian sisters.
Males are typically attracted and stimulated by sight. I don't suggest a burqua. Conservative dress to me means, modest, not skin tight and not obviously looking to sell what the men are looking for.

What that means for everyone else I can't say.

What it means for my 11 year old daughter for the next 7 or 8 years should be interesting though.

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Modest Dress and Headcoverings: Male Response?

Post by Kurieuo »

Angel Cake wrote:I've noticed that most of the posters here are male, and I was wondering if you had any thoughts about modest dress and/or headcoverings. I would be interested to get the male perspective as I have discussed this many times with my Christian sisters.
I think it should be left up to the person what they decide to wear. The way people dress obviously project a certain image to others (both male and female). So it really depends on what a person wants to project.

I think sensitivity to different cultures, situations such as work, and in general other people, should also be taken into account. Ultimately it is really whether one cares about what others think (and I believe we all really do), and what image one desires to project.

K
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

I once did an interesting slideshow on the evolution of the woman's bathing suit from 1860 to 1950. I stopped at 1950 for obvious reasons, being a church study. Most of the teenagers laughed at the 1860 bathing suit. I'll try to post some pictures to illustrate the obvious cultural change. What women wore in the 1920's would have given the puritans of the 1700's heart failure. What they wear now would have gotten them arrested in the 1920's. Have we gone too far? I would say, with some that I've seen at the beach, definitely. One has to wonder what the next 60 year will bring us.

Open for some interesting discussion...
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

puritan lad wrote:I once did an interesting slideshow on the evolution of the woman's bathing suit from 1860 to 1950. I stopped at 1950 for obvious reasons, being a church study. Most of the teenagers laughed at the 1860 bathing suit. I'll try to post some pictures to illustrate the obvious cultural change. What women wore in the 1920's would have given the puritans of the 1700's heart failure. What they wear now would have gotten them arrested in the 1920's. Have we gone too far? I would say, with some that I've seen at the beach, definitely. One has to wonder what the next 60 year will bring us.

Open for some interesting discussion...

Good point PL.. I'm with you on this.. Including girls wearing makeup before becoming an adult. I would never allow this for my girls. I see girls 6 or 7 now wearing makeup these days.. For what?

Blame it on this cosmopolitan culture... The lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, it's everywhere.. Women have to compete with super models like Nicole Kidman and for men Tom Cruise. We practically treat these people like they are Gods.. Like their work is so important. What a crime...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
godslanguage

Post by godslanguage »

What can I say, sex sells and the devil appreciates doing business
Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

Yesterday evening I read an article about Christian beauty vs. artificiality (make-up etc.). One statement was this: 'beauty' is often confused with 'prettiness'.

I don't think a girl looks 'outmoded' when she covers everything up to the neck. But my friends tell me I am utterly unable to recognize prettiness. And I am! :lol:
Seriously, I haven't got a sensor for prettiness. I have different standards, somehow...

But that's off topic. ;)
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Turgonian wrote:Yesterday evening I read an article about Christian beauty vs. artificiality (make-up etc.). One statement was this: 'beauty' is often confused with 'prettiness'.

I don't think a girl looks 'outmoded' when she covers everything up to the neck. But my friends tell me I am utterly unable to recognize prettiness. And I am! :lol:
Seriously, I haven't got a sensor for prettiness. I have different standards, somehow...

But that's off topic. ;)
Physical beauty has it's place but it fades and when it is gone the person who wore it still remains.

Society places emphasis upon physical beauty and does so with little regard for the inner character, intellect and spiritual life of a woman. (Case in point, Farrah Fawcett .... has anyone actually tried to listen to her or make it through an interview?)

I find far more beauty around me in terms of women I know (my wife first and foremost) whom I also know of their devotion to family, church, their intelligence and success in other areas.

Our society plays upon lust and fantasy.

Reality is far more appealing and concrete.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Birdie
Recognized Member

Post by Birdie »

I don't think I dress too bad (I'm a teenage girl). The 'worst' things I wear are short skirts, and because they very comfty and cool when its hot. I'm not big on makeup. I usally don't have acne and my lips are red already and I think eyeliner looks weird. It would be good if you're older to wear eyeliner and you have bags under your eyes but wearing it when your young makes you look emo.
"Hope is the thing with feathers"
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Birdie wrote:I don't think I dress too bad (I'm a teenage girl). The 'worst' things I wear are short skirts, and because they very comfty and cool when its hot. I'm not big on makeup. I usally don't have acne and my lips are red already and I think eyeliner looks weird. It would be good if you're older to wear eyeliner and you have bags under your eyes but wearing it when your young makes you look emo.
emo? :?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

FFC wrote:
Birdie wrote:I don't think I dress too bad (I'm a teenage girl). The 'worst' things I wear are short skirts, and because they very comfty and cool when its hot. I'm not big on makeup. I usally don't have acne and my lips are red already and I think eyeliner looks weird. It would be good if you're older to wear eyeliner and you have bags under your eyes but wearing it when your young makes you look emo.
emo? :?
Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEJDGLF-e18

:lol:

edit: here's actually a good video on what emo really is. You have to watch it all the way until the end, though . . . it's a mockumentary that gets serious as 4:20:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LSRreO6T64
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Jac3510 wrote:
FFC wrote:emo? :?

Here ya go:

That is just pathetically sad. I have a teenage son now (just turned 13) who's current mission in life is to become the next Jimi Hendrix/Gene Simmons combo. He actually does tongue elongation exercises while playing his guitar (this is so wrong on so many levels I can't begin to imagine). Along with our ever too demanding parental duties, my wife and I are in constant prayers that we steer our kids onto a relatively safe adult landing. The cards are stacked against us though.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Byblos wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:
FFC wrote:emo? :?

Here ya go:

That is just pathetically sad. I have a teenage son now (just turned 13) who's current mission in life is to become the next Jimi Hendrix/Gene Simmons combo. He actually does tongue elongation exercises while playing his guitar (this is so wrong on so many levels I can't begin to imagine). Along with our ever too demanding parental duties, my wife and I are in constant prayers that we steer our kids onto a relatively safe adult landing. The cards are stacked against us though.
We have much in common.

I have a 14 year old who is determined to be the successor to Nirvana.

Perhaps we could form a support group or something ...... ;)
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
We have much in common.

I have a 14 year old who is determined to be the successor to Nirvana.

Perhaps we could form a support group or something ...... ;)
LOL! Either that or become their agents. Hey if you can't stop 'em, manage them. :lol:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

I have a 13 year old who keeps asking why she can't get body piercings. My answer is that it would too painful for her when I yank out her jewelry. (Seems to work so far. We'll see what happens when her 13 year old brain turns 18.)
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/