Modest Dress and Headcoverings: Male Response?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
User avatar
Angel Cake
Acquainted Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:05 pm
Christian: No
Location: North Carolina
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Modest Dress and Headcoverings: Male Response?

#1

Post by Angel Cake » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:21 pm

I've noticed that most of the posters here are male, and I was wondering if you had any thoughts about modest dress and/or headcoverings. I would be interested to get the male perspective as I have discussed this many times with my Christian sisters.

User avatar
Canuckster1127
Old School
Posts: 5306
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Modest Dress and Headcoverings: Male Response?

#2

Post by Canuckster1127 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:17 pm

Angel Cake wrote:I've noticed that most of the posters here are male, and I was wondering if you had any thoughts about modest dress and/or headcoverings. I would be interested to get the male perspective as I have discussed this many times with my Christian sisters.
Males are typically attracted and stimulated by sight. I don't suggest a burqua. Conservative dress to me means, modest, not skin tight and not obviously looking to sell what the men are looking for.

What that means for everyone else I can't say.

What it means for my 11 year old daughter for the next 7 or 8 years should be interesting though.

Bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender

//bartsbarometer.com/

User avatar
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Posts: 10029
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia
Has liked: 650 times
Been liked: 671 times

Re: Modest Dress and Headcoverings: Male Response?

#3

Post by Kurieuo » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:22 pm

Angel Cake wrote:I've noticed that most of the posters here are male, and I was wondering if you had any thoughts about modest dress and/or headcoverings. I would be interested to get the male perspective as I have discussed this many times with my Christian sisters.
I think it should be left up to the person what they decide to wear. The way people dress obviously project a certain image to others (both male and female). So it really depends on what a person wants to project.

I think sensitivity to different cultures, situations such as work, and in general other people, should also be taken into account. Ultimately it is really whether one cares about what others think (and I believe we all really do), and what image one desires to project.

K
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

User avatar
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1491
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:44 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Stuarts Draft, VA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

#4

Post by puritan lad » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:33 pm

I once did an interesting slideshow on the evolution of the woman's bathing suit from 1860 to 1950. I stopped at 1950 for obvious reasons, being a church study. Most of the teenagers laughed at the 1860 bathing suit. I'll try to post some pictures to illustrate the obvious cultural change. What women wore in the 1920's would have given the puritans of the 1700's heart failure. What they wear now would have gotten them arrested in the 1920's. Have we gone too far? I would say, with some that I've seen at the beach, definitely. One has to wonder what the next 60 year will bring us.

Open for some interesting discussion...
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Gman
Old School
Posts: 6081
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:36 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Northern California
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

#5

Post by Gman » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:03 pm

puritan lad wrote:I once did an interesting slideshow on the evolution of the woman's bathing suit from 1860 to 1950. I stopped at 1950 for obvious reasons, being a church study. Most of the teenagers laughed at the 1860 bathing suit. I'll try to post some pictures to illustrate the obvious cultural change. What women wore in the 1920's would have given the puritans of the 1700's heart failure. What they wear now would have gotten them arrested in the 1920's. Have we gone too far? I would say, with some that I've seen at the beach, definitely. One has to wonder what the next 60 year will bring us.

Open for some interesting discussion...


Good point PL.. I'm with you on this.. Including girls wearing makeup before becoming an adult. I would never allow this for my girls. I see girls 6 or 7 now wearing makeup these days.. For what?

Blame it on this cosmopolitan culture... The lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, it's everywhere.. Women have to compete with super models like Nicole Kidman and for men Tom Cruise. We practically treat these people like they are Gods.. Like their work is so important. What a crime...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8

User avatar
godslanguage
Senior Member
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 4:16 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#6

Post by godslanguage » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:46 pm

What can I say, sex sells and the devil appreciates doing business

User avatar
Turgonian
Senior Member
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:44 pm
Christian: No
Location: the Netherlands
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#7

Post by Turgonian » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:26 am

Yesterday evening I read an article about Christian beauty vs. artificiality (make-up etc.). One statement was this: 'beauty' is often confused with 'prettiness'.

I don't think a girl looks 'outmoded' when she covers everything up to the neck. But my friends tell me I am utterly unable to recognize prettiness. And I am! :lol:
Seriously, I haven't got a sensor for prettiness. I have different standards, somehow...

But that's off topic. ;)
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)

User avatar
Canuckster1127
Old School
Posts: 5306
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

#8

Post by Canuckster1127 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:13 am

Turgonian wrote:Yesterday evening I read an article about Christian beauty vs. artificiality (make-up etc.). One statement was this: 'beauty' is often confused with 'prettiness'.

I don't think a girl looks 'outmoded' when she covers everything up to the neck. But my friends tell me I am utterly unable to recognize prettiness. And I am! :lol:
Seriously, I haven't got a sensor for prettiness. I have different standards, somehow...

But that's off topic. ;)
Physical beauty has it's place but it fades and when it is gone the person who wore it still remains.

Society places emphasis upon physical beauty and does so with little regard for the inner character, intellect and spiritual life of a woman. (Case in point, Farrah Fawcett .... has anyone actually tried to listen to her or make it through an interview?)

I find far more beauty around me in terms of women I know (my wife first and foremost) whom I also know of their devotion to family, church, their intelligence and success in other areas.

Our society plays upon lust and fantasy.

Reality is far more appealing and concrete.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender

//bartsbarometer.com/

User avatar
Birdie
Recognized Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 4:37 pm
Christian: No
Location: Usa
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#9

Post by Birdie » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:41 pm

I don't think I dress too bad (I'm a teenage girl). The 'worst' things I wear are short skirts, and because they very comfty and cool when its hot. I'm not big on makeup. I usally don't have acne and my lips are red already and I think eyeliner looks weird. It would be good if you're older to wear eyeliner and you have bags under your eyes but wearing it when your young makes you look emo.
"Hope is the thing with feathers"

FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Posts: 1683
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:11 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

#10

Post by FFC » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:50 pm

Birdie wrote:I don't think I dress too bad (I'm a teenage girl). The 'worst' things I wear are short skirts, and because they very comfty and cool when its hot. I'm not big on makeup. I usally don't have acne and my lips are red already and I think eyeliner looks weird. It would be good if you're older to wear eyeliner and you have bags under your eyes but wearing it when your young makes you look emo.
emo? :?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?

User avatar
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Posts: 5472
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:53 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 336 times
Contact:

#11

Post by Jac3510 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:19 am

FFC wrote:
Birdie wrote:I don't think I dress too bad (I'm a teenage girl). The 'worst' things I wear are short skirts, and because they very comfty and cool when its hot. I'm not big on makeup. I usally don't have acne and my lips are red already and I think eyeliner looks weird. It would be good if you're older to wear eyeliner and you have bags under your eyes but wearing it when your young makes you look emo.
emo? :?
Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEJDGLF-e18

:lol:

edit: here's actually a good video on what emo really is. You have to watch it all the way until the end, though . . . it's a mockumentary that gets serious as 4:20:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LSRreO6T64
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 6024
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 143 times

#12

Post by Byblos » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:34 am

Jac3510 wrote:
FFC wrote:emo? :?

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEJDGLF-e18

:lol:


That is just pathetically sad. I have a teenage son now (just turned 13) who's current mission in life is to become the next Jimi Hendrix/Gene Simmons combo. He actually does tongue elongation exercises while playing his guitar (this is so wrong on so many levels I can't begin to imagine). Along with our ever too demanding parental duties, my wife and I are in constant prayers that we steer our kids onto a relatively safe adult landing. The cards are stacked against us though.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

User avatar
Canuckster1127
Old School
Posts: 5306
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

#13

Post by Canuckster1127 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:49 am

Byblos wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:
FFC wrote:emo? :?

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEJDGLF-e18

:lol:


That is just pathetically sad. I have a teenage son now (just turned 13) who's current mission in life is to become the next Jimi Hendrix/Gene Simmons combo. He actually does tongue elongation exercises while playing his guitar (this is so wrong on so many levels I can't begin to imagine). Along with our ever too demanding parental duties, my wife and I are in constant prayers that we steer our kids onto a relatively safe adult landing. The cards are stacked against us though.
We have much in common.

I have a 14 year old who is determined to be the successor to Nirvana.

Perhaps we could form a support group or something ...... ;)
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender

//bartsbarometer.com/

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 6024
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 143 times

#14

Post by Byblos » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:06 am

Canuckster1127 wrote:
We have much in common.

I have a 14 year old who is determined to be the successor to Nirvana.

Perhaps we could form a support group or something ...... ;)
LOL! Either that or become their agents. Hey if you can't stop 'em, manage them. :lol:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

User avatar
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Posts: 1491
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:44 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Stuarts Draft, VA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

#15

Post by puritan lad » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:42 am

I have a 13 year old who keeps asking why she can't get body piercings. My answer is that it would too painful for her when I yank out her jewelry. (Seems to work so far. We'll see what happens when her 13 year old brain turns 18.)
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/

Post Reply