Hypnotism

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Fisherman
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Hypnotism

Post by Fisherman »

Howdy!

What is the Biblical stance on hypnotism and what do you think of it? (two separate questions. To the Christian, it'll be one question though.) ;)

Someone called today wanting us to do some SEO for their website and some other work and I'm not sure I want to do it. I think he quit selling used cars to go into this. I dunno. :roll:

Thanks
Ain't what I otta be, Ain’t what I wanta be, Ain't what I could be, Image

But, thank God, I Ain't what I used to be, And, Praise God, I, Ain't what I'm gonna be! :D
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Hypnotism

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Fisherman wrote:Howdy!

What is the Biblical stance on hypnotism and what do you think of it? (two separate questions. To the Christian, it'll be one question though.) ;)

Someone called today wanting us to do some SEO for their website and some other work and I'm not sure I want to do it. I think he quit selling used cars to go into this. I dunno. :roll:

Thanks

Well, some others may have some strong opinions on it.

I think that there are varying degrees of it in use.

It's a soft science. I believe it can be a psychological tool useful in working in areas such as repressed memories, post traumatic stress syndrome and the like.

That being said, I know that the application of it in motivational applications such as smoking cessation etc, there is a great deal of hype that goes beyond what is scientifically supported.

Earlier in my life, I might have bought into the point of view promoted by those whose ministry I sat under that any form of hypnotism was to be avoided as a point of contact or a pathway to negative spiritual influence. Some would even go so far as to state that it could lead to demonic oppression or even possession. I'm not quite as sure now that I believe that that is necessarily true. There certainly are elements of trances and openness to spiritual influences that should be avoided. I think in a clinical situation where there is a clear purpose and trained personnel involved, that I would not advise against it necessarily.

I think there is a great deal of popular application that to me smacks of hucksterism and carnival sideshows. I'd avoid that like the plague. I'd not necessarily write it off completely in all situation though.

I don't endorse this link, but it does give some insight as to a conservative Christian viewpoint on this issue and maybe it will be helpful.

http://www.letusreason.org/Nam3.htm
Fisherman
Recognized Member

Post by Fisherman »

Good link. I don't think I'll take the job. I don't think I would have anyway. The decision would have been easier if his business had been a bar or liquor store.

Thanks!
Ain't what I otta be, Ain’t what I wanta be, Ain't what I could be, Image

But, thank God, I Ain't what I used to be, And, Praise God, I, Ain't what I'm gonna be! :D
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

I think there is a great deal of popular application that to me smacks of hucksterism and carnival sideshows.
I think the same can be said of some church services. :lol:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

FFC wrote:
I think there is a great deal of popular application that to me smacks of hucksterism and carnival sideshows.
I think the same can be said of some church services. :lol:
Yup. Been there ..... seen the bearded lady .... ;)
Birdie
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by Birdie »

I myself don't like the idea of being hypnotism just because I like to be conscious but their was this doctor that uses hypnosis to help people quit smoking. He actually came and talked about it at a Christian camp I went to.
identity_in_development
Familiar Member

Practical uses for hypnosis

Post by identity_in_development »

Not everyone can be hypnotized. If you find that you day dream, sleep walk, or that you blank out for breaf periods of time - along with having difficulty sleeping - you are a prime candidate for hypnosis. Since hypnosis is simply a state of heightened relaxation and an increased suggestive state, it can be used clinically, quite effectively help people sleep better, have less anxiety, and curb stress - which is often the reason people give for smoking, which is why people report that hypnotism can be effective in smoking cessation.

There's nothing spiritual about hypnosis unless you MAKE it a spiritual thing.
FFC

Re: Practical uses for hypnosis

Post by FFC »

identity_in_development wrote:Not everyone can be hypnotized. If you find that you day dream, sleep walk, or that you blank out for breaf periods of time - along with having difficulty sleeping - you are a prime candidate for hypnosis. Since hypnosis is simply a state of heightened relaxation and an increased suggestive state, it can be used clinically, quite effectively help people sleep better, have less anxiety, and curb stress - which is often the reason people give for smoking, which is why people report that hypnotism can be effective in smoking cessation.

There's nothing spiritual about hypnosis unless you MAKE it a spiritual thing.

Unless the practitioner looks like this guy. :shock: :lol: :lol:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

identity_in_development
Familiar Member

Should I know who that is, or is that just a random picture?

I hate to admit this, but I don't understand. :cry:
FFC

Post by FFC »

identity_in_development wrote:Should I know who that is, or is that just a random picture?

I hate to admit this, but I don't understand. :cry:
It's an actor who played the fictional evil hypnotist "Svengali".

identity_in_development
Familiar Member

Before my time I guess.

I'm still youngin'....

.... comparatively.