Morality without God?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Mystical
Valued Member

Morality without God?

Post by Mystical »

Can there be morality without God?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

It'd make absolutely no sense. It'd be relativistic nonsense...
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

I have a problem with this: Too many errors. I can't point them out now, but I'm sure you guys will notice them right away. I think the problem most of the time is people just don't understand God. How can they understand these concepts and move towards giving their lives to Him?

http://www.atheists.org/Atheism/cohen.html
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

What was it God revealed to man? He did not reveal science. The whole structure of physical science was built up very gradually and tentatively by man.
Science-founded on the continent with a prevalent Christian worldview. Morons.

Then the moron goes on and ignores all the foundations that allows science to flourish.
But, and this is the important thing, while there is no need for an inspired arithmetic or an inspired geometry, while there is no inspired chemistry or geology, there had to be, apparently, and inspired morality, because without God moral laws would be without authority, and decency would disappear from human society.
Without God things like decency are purely relative! As well as right and wrong. Morality without God is nonsensical.

http://www.leaderu.com/orgs/probe/docs/god-ethi.html

I don't wish to go on, that moron is an idiot.

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

I predict the next poster will be BGood trying to defend moral stupidity.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Believer »

I just LOVE how http://www.atheists.org spreads lies and misinformation, regardless of how much they "know" about Christianity. Once again, having to go to a belief system that has a God, they find Christianity is the best to attack. Why? Because it has a HUGE number of believers, 94% to be exact (Recent Gallup poll). In fact, Christianity is on the rise, non-believers are coming more to faith in it as topics of Christianity, other religions, and science actually are making sense to them, AMAZING how that works for someone who really wants to be in the know :wink:. American Atheists may have very long articles, but that doesn't make them true, it makes them true for them and their readers because they are long articles filled with deception that look like truth. I wrote an e-mail to American Atheists (some of you may remember), of course they didn't reply, why should they? I was once an addict to their website always with doubts and such, and that was last and the beginning of this year. No longer do I have such a thing. I just scoff at it like atheists scoff at Christians because we are "wrong". Oh how they love to lie.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

You ruined my prediction...

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

Paragraph 1-6 to start:
There seems a want of sense in giving man a revelation he could not understand.
There is great consistency in our understanding of the bible. Those issues which are in question are miniscule and almost irrelevant.
He did no reveal science.
Actually, the bible taught us about scientific facts long before they were "discovered": Facts on the rain cycle, Law of Thermodynamics, Law of Entropy, the fact that the sun moves in space, coagulating factor of blood, characteristics of the surface of the ocean, female anatomy facts, characteristics of the earth as a body (the fact that the earth free floats in space, that the earth is round), facts about lightwaves, radiowaves, dinosaurs, etc. My favortie: the bible taught us how to build successful ships (after 1900, every large ship was built after the proportions of the ark!), etc. (God Doesn't Believe in Atheists by Ray Comfort).
What was there left for God to give man? He gave them morality.
The ten commandments is a measuring stick, not of what we must do, but what we cannot do...thus, salvation through Christ.
...but somehow he forgot the very necessary lesson that parents ought also to honor their children.
The bible teaches parents to love, respect, and honor their children.
...All this happened to animals without God. Why should man have to receive a revelation before he could reach the moral stage of the higher animal life?
Because we are man and not animals. Because man has free-will and animals do not.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:You ruined my prediction...
lol,

Remember that the Japanese don't beleive in a God. Yet their society seems to avoid plunging into social chaos.

Also many polythiestic primative cultures seem to be the most peaceful people on the planet.

It's no wonder the ideas of the most war faring peoples have spread the farthest. The victors tend to subjugate and convert the losers.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

Mystical said

The ten commandments is a measuring stick, not of what we must do, but what we cannot do...thus, salvation through Christ.

I think that was the best statement in this thread

While morality comes from God, Man does have the knowledge of good and evil, so it should be no suprise that man can behave with morality even without God's guidence, of course all these societies pass laws because just like Christians people don't always do the right and good thing, so becuase of the weakness of the flesh we must put outside consequences on undesirable behavior. OF course some of the laws are wacked because the world lacks a fuller understanding of what is worthwhile and eternal, and what is foolishness.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:You ruined my prediction...
lol,

Remember that the Japanese don't beleive in a God. Yet their society seems to avoid plunging into social chaos.

Also many polythiestic primative cultures seem to be the most peaceful people on the planet.

It's no wonder the ideas of the most war faring peoples have spread the farthest. The victors tend to subjugate and convert the losers.
Any evidence of this? My goodness. As USUAL...mindless assertions...lol

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

It's no wonder the ideas of the most war faring peoples have spread the farthest...
I think Christianity is the largest "religion" in the world. It is based on peace and love.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Mystical wrote:
It's no wonder the ideas of the most war faring peoples have spread the farthest...
I think Christianity is the largest "religion" in the world. It is based on peace and love.
It is based on peace and love, however the practioners responsible for the spread of Christianity were not always peaceful.

Once christianity took hold in the Roman Empire the Catholic Chuch became a political the political center of the Dark and Medieval Periods. After the fall, of the Roman empire the Catholic church remained a center of influence up until and through the renaisance. From there colonization of the rest of the world resulted in the spreading of Christianity throughout the world, either through conversion(South America, Africa, Asia.) or decimation and colonization(North America, Australia). Regardless of the nature of the religion there is little doubt why it is the dominant theology in the World.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

...the practioners responsible for the spread of Christianity were not always peaceful.
Then I suppose we can deduce that they weren't practicing Christianity.
...there is little doubt why it is the dominant theology in the world.
I know. It is dominant because it is true.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Which is to be expected. Just because they don't believe in God doesn't mean they don't believe in God. What I mean is, just because they don't believe in God, doesn't mean they don't contradict that belief and believe that some things are objectively wrong, and some things are objectively wrong.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous