UPDATE: Is Mutual Masturbation Sinful?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.

Do you think MM is acceptable?

Yes
20%
No
60%
Unsure
20%

Total votes: 20

...In Heaven...
Acquainted Member

RE:

Post by ...In Heaven... »

I think masturbating isn't that bad, there's no actual contact and I don't think it's really lust, either. Same with MM, so I don't think it's wrong. I think if the person you imagine doesn't exist, it's sinless, because you cannot ever really get that person. You adulterate with no one.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Any sexual activity with another is wrong if outside unity of "marraige", for such intimacy God designed to be with the person one becomes united to.

Now Scripture is clear that God abhors homosexual and promiscuous relations as He does any other sin. Such is to insult God by throwing what He designed (a dependancy between man and woman) back in his face. The Bible is clear that lusting in thought even after someone opposite to one's sex is wrong (Job 31:1, Matthew 5:28). As Christ said, "I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already commited adultery with her in his heart"; by the same reasoning anyone who lusts after someone of the same sex has already commited homosexuality with them in their heart. Yet, you go even a step further to say gratifying ones lustful appetite with another is quite alright. Can anyone really think that Christ would have practiced MM with His Apostles? If you can not conceive of Christ practicing such thing, then an answer as to whether it is alright seems quite obvious...

God doesn't want us to simply refrain from commiting sinful actions, He wants our hearts to be changed, and this isn't possible if we keep entertaining the desires of our heart. True, it is a life-long struggle, but why does that mean we should give in? Does anyone really think they can give their life to God while taking their life back at the first sign of a struggle? The reason why a Christian gives their life to Christ, is because they choose to follow Christ, and one part of following Christ involves trying to be more like Him and thus struggling to overcome one's sinful desires in thought and deed.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

ochotseat wrote:Anyone know if there's a biblical passage that states that self or mutual masturbation is as sinful as fornication?
I sincerely doubt it considering there is no passage in the original Scriptures where "fornication" as understood in English usage today is literally used. According to the dictionary, "fornication" was first used in 1303.

Kurieuo.
ochotseat

Re: RE:

Post by ochotseat »

...In Heaven... wrote:I think masturbating isn't that bad, there's no actual contact and I don't think it's really lust, either. Same with MM, so I don't think it's wrong. I think if the person you imagine doesn't exist, it's sinless, because you cannot ever really get that person. You adulterate with no one.
Masturbation may not be as raunchy as anal sex (the most unclean form of sex around), but it isn't exactly noble either. Everyone's probably guilty of masturbation, so we should at least ask for forgiveness if we succumb to it.
Kurieuo wrote: I sincerely doubt it considering there is no passage in the original Scriptures where "fornication" as understood in English usage today is literally used. According to the dictionary, "fornication" was first used in 1303.
Kurieuo.
The Bible talks about everything including sex.

Here's some stuff on masturbation from bible.com:

<snip>

See http://www.bible.com/answers/amasturb.html (Moderator: please reference, and provide links over massive quotes)
stjimmythepunk
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Post by stjimmythepunk »

Why isn't it ok? It makes you happy isn't that good.
LittleShepherd
Established Member

Post by LittleShepherd »

Happiness can be, but is not always, good.

Smoking cigarettes makes some people happy. It is not good.
Getting drunk makes some people happy. It is not good.
A variety of drugs can make people happy, but they're not good.
There's a host of sexual behaviors that many find fun to engage in, but which are not good(and some are downright dangerous).
One can be happy while disobeying one's parents -- disobedience is still not good.

Happiness is not, and can not be, the primary indicator of whether something is good or not. Many dangerous and foolhardy behaviors are quite fun, but are...well, dangerous and foolhardy. Mutual masturbation falls in the latter category. It's not necessarily dangerous(though it has certain risks, splash pregnancy being one of them), but it's certainly foolhardy. You're playing around with your emotions and sex drive -- that's never a good thing.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

I've got a question for you guys...

does Song of Songs, chapter 5, verses 2-6, refer to masturbation (either mutual or not)?
LittleShepherd
Established Member

Post by LittleShepherd »

No.

The woman is sleeping and dreaming about her lover and when they're about to have sex she wakes up and finds him gone.

The Song is about a married couple anyways so they wouldn't be held to the abstinence standard that unmarried people are.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

stjimmythepunk wrote:Why isn't it ok? It makes you happy isn't that good.
By that standard then a pedophile could be considered to be doing something good if it makes him happy and the child he abuses knows no different. On the other hand, I believe there is more to morality than simply how something feels.

Kurieuo
stjimmythepunk
Acquainted Member

Post by stjimmythepunk »

Kurieuo wrote:
stjimmythepunk wrote:Why isn't it ok? It makes you happy isn't that good.
By that standard then a pedophile could be considered to be doing something good if it makes him happy and the child he abuses knows no different. On the other hand, I believe there is more to morality than simply how something feels.

Kurieuo
Very good point I didn't think of that.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

I think all things are permissable within the bounds of matrimony, as long as they are done from love and mutual satisfaction in each other.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

LittleShepherd wrote:No.

The woman is sleeping and dreaming about her lover and when they're about to have sex she wakes up and finds him gone.
Really? I heard somewhere that if you look at the original Hebrew writings and terms, it really refers to someone masturbating...
The edge
Established Member

Post by The edge »

Uncovering each other nakedness is sin. See Genesis. I think it was a son who went & covered his father but went to rant about it.
IRQ Conflict
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

:) heh! I was just gonna post, what should have been the obvious.

Gen 9:22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.
Gen 9:23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness.
Gen 9:24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.

Hab 2:15 Woe unto him that giveth his neighbor drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!

Lev 20:21 And if a man shall take his brother's wife, it is an unclean thing: he hath uncovered his brother's nakedness; they shall be childless.

Lev 20:18 And if a man shall lie with a woman having her sickness, and shall uncover her nakedness; he hath discovered her fountain, and she hath uncovered the fountain of her blood: and both of them shall be cut off from among their people.

Many many examples, both refering to people and nations.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
authentic
Familiar Member

Re: RE:

Post by authentic »

...In Heaven... wrote:There is nothing bad about it. Me and a buddy of mine do it together as a recreational thing. It is not real sex, IMO. I think it is pure fun and isn't a problem at all.
I have two questions, and this in all seriousness:

1. Are you are guy?

2. If you are a guy, are you gay? Because how can you masterbate in front of your buddy, looking at each other and not be gay. I'm curious.