Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Re:

Post by Kurieuo »

Jorge wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:The new board serves to provide a defense and persuasive case for Christianity, as well as encouragement and instruction for Christian people.
So you are trying to argue a case for Christianity, but not allowing any feedback from the other side?
I would recommend reading my response to Nevermind above, and also the board purpose which is quite clear on this issue.

It is not like this board closes off access to the Internet for anyone seeking an alternate non-Christian response. Perhaps you wish every board on the Internet to adopt your own set of rules? This is a Christian board. If you do not like it then there are many open boards on the Internet.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Discussion Guidelines

Post by Silvertusk »

It really surprises me sometimes why people just don't get it. They seem so offended that there is a site set up purely just to encourage Christians. They think that we are committing a horrible offence and they must reveal it for a "SHAM". These people obviously protest too much me think.

Silvertusk.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

nobible wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:It really surprises me sometimes why people just don't get it. They seem so offended that there is a site set up purely just to encourage Christians. They think that we are committing a horrible offence and they must reveal it for a "SHAM". These people obviously protest too much me think.

Silvertusk.

How would you feel if you saw a site set up purely just to encourage white people? Or just black people or Muslims?

Don't you understand that non-Christians will become further estranged from Christianity if they come to a site where the people tell them "speak as only we tell you or get out!"?
That kind of message only reinforces the idea to infidels that Christians talk about love and higher morals a lot, but they sure don't practice it. I know this because I've experienced such arrogance from fundamentalist Christians (cuz they couldn't tolerate the idea that some of us Christians are more progressive than they are) and many of my friends and people I've talked to have also encountered the same type of attitude...then those fundamentalists wonder why some of us got alienated from the church and church attendance is down in most of the first world. :shakehead: :wave:
I still don't see how you don't get it. It is simple - this is site for Christians and for people wanting to genuinely know about Christianity (from a more scientific persepctive in most cases). It is a site for support and encouragement to help people strenghten their faith. What is the problem with that? If you don't like it then go somewhere else.
You have come here saying the bible is wrong. So I ask again - what do you hope to achieve here?
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

I would like to add here... This forum DOES accept questions and will do it's best to address them, however, if we feel you have an axe to grind or just simply wish to debate/dictate your side, and have no interest in Christianity, then this forum is NOT for you. We will delete your post.

Also, please be considerate when asking questions.. Don't ask 100 questions at one time and expect them to be addressed at once.. Ask a few at first and then add more later if you can.

Thank you,

Gman
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Sudsy
Established Member

Post by Sudsy »

I just happened to read this guideline for debating under 'Guidelines for debating against Christian beliefs' and I think it is a very good guideline.
4. Do not set out to try to change the opinion of Christians as this immediately creates barriers and hostility.
I take this to mean all beliefs within Christianity. If so, is this line not being crossed in the thread 'Infinite punishment for finite sins' ? I take this to mean we can share our different views but we are not to try to convert others to our view even if we think we know the absolute truth. Yes/No ?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Sudsy wrote:I just happened to read this guideline for debating under 'Guidelines for debating against Christian beliefs' and I think it is a very good guideline.
4. Do not set out to try to change the opinion of Christians as this immediately creates barriers and hostility.
I take this to mean all beliefs within Christianity. If so, is this line not being crossed in the thread 'Infinite punishment for finite sins' ? I take this to mean we can share our different views but we are not to try to convert others to our view even if we think we know the absolute truth. Yes/No ?
It's a fine line Sudsy. This is primarily directed to non-Christians who come onto the board seeking to proselytize away from Christianity. We've never really seen that as opposed to Christians having firm beliefs or seeking to present positions and persuade one another in the context of discussions between believers. You're right however, that on many issues, it's clear that there can be a pretty broad divergence on opinions even within Christianity, and with rare exception (at least in the several years I've been part of the community here) we try to be pretty open to different views. That's reflected in our moderating team, which includes or has included in the past, Catholics, Protestants, Calvinist, Arminian and even some young earth creationists.

Sometimes conversations become passionate and as moderaters (we're all volunteers) we do the best we can to try and manage things and we're not always perfect.

Hope that helps,

bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Sudsy
Established Member

Post by Sudsy »

We've never really seen that as opposed to Christians having firm beliefs or seeking to present positions and persuade one another in the context of discussions between believers.
I see. Thanks for the reply.

I know you had mentioned in one of your posts that there was not an official position on eternal torment taken by this forum and yet we are being lead by an admin to learn the truth about the subject. I guess this is allowed in the extent of debating here. Just trying to get a handle on the parameters here and I hope my posts are being more cordial in my reponses. You do span quite a wide scope of Christian belief here, unlike some forums I have frequented.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

We're participants as well as moderators. You're not obligated to follow our lead in terms of positions or approach unless you're so inclined. If that becomes confused, and it might at times, speak with us privately or speak with another moderator and we'll work it out.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Sudsy
Established Member

Post by Sudsy »

OK
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

And just to clarify, when a moderator engages in a particular thread he or she is engaging as a poster, not a moderator. We tend to take on moderating duties in topics in which we are not directly engaged. It works most of the time but sometimes we find ourselves playing both roles at the same time (for lack of time or resources) and unfortunately that's when conflicts can arise. Like Bart said, any one of us can be approached privately with any concerns they might have and we will try to address and resolve them.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Post by Bradigans »

Amen to the discussion board guidelines... I'm slowly but surely getting through orientation.. Keep me in your prayers though.

--- IN CHRIST ---

Bradford
Graceismine
Familiar Member
Sex: Female

Post by Graceismine »

HI
I am a newbie as you can tell. :D I have a question...Are all posts vetted forever or for a trial period? I thought I lost my first post in the ethernet or wherever when lo and behold next day my email told me it had been accepted.

I was pleased because I had put time into it. :clap:

Thanks
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Graceismine wrote:HI
I am a newbie as you can tell. :D I have a question...Are all posts vetted forever or for a trial period? I thought I lost my first post in the ethernet or wherever when lo and behold next day my email told me it had been accepted.

Thanks
Graceismine, your first few posts have to be approved by a moderator. Sometimes it may take a little while, depending on when you posted, and if there are mods online.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Post by Bradigans »

Graceismine wrote:HI

Thanks
Nice to meet you...

Just wanted to say that everything has its season (Proverbs 15:23, Ecclesiastes 3:1)... Don't worry about the moderators.. They're being moderated (Colossians 1:16-17).

--- IN CHRIST ---

bradford
Domenic
Established Member

Post by Domenic »

This is how I feel: Mods cover the rules...that's fine. But, when a mod post what they believe is truth, they should not use being a mod to force what they believe on those who make reply, or tell them they can't talk to a mod that way. We members talk to each other that way...When a mod post a comment, statement, etc...they should take their mod hat off.