Matthew 5:43-46, "hate your enemy"?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Matthew 5:43-46, "hate your enemy"?

Post by Christian2 »

Hello,
Jesus said, "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy; But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those whose persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Mt. 5.43-46
As I understand it, this saying "love your neighbor and hate your enemy" is not in the Old Testament. Does anyone know who Jesus was addressing when He said this? Jesus must have heard it somewhere, but where?

Thanks.
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Hi Christian2,

The passage that cross references here is:
Leviticus 19:18 (KJV)
Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord.

The reason for Jesus's teaching here is that the corrupt teachers added by inference that it means to also hate your enemy, according to JFB's Bible Commentary.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Thanks August

Post by Christian2 »

Hello August,

What you said makes sense.

How do you reconcile the verse you gave me
Leviticus 19:18 (KJV)
Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord.
with this one:

23But if any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, 24eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. Exodus 21:23-25

One verse says don't avenge and the other says it is OK as long as you don't avenge with something worse. Contradictory?

And then Jesus comes along as says this:

38 "You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' 39But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. 41And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. 42Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.

Why the drastic change, do you think?

Thanks.
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Hi C2,
How do you reconcile the verse you gave me (Lev 19:18)...with this one:

23But if any harm follows, then you shall give life for life, 24eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. Exodus 21:23-25

One verse says don't avenge and the other says it is OK as long as you don't avenge with something worse. Contradictory?
I don't think it's contradictory. Jesus confirmed the perfect teaching in the Sermon on the Mount. God's desire is that we love our neighbour (rea`, ray'-ah; or reya`, ray'-ah; from Hebrew 7462 (ra`ah); an associate, brother, companion, fellow, friend, husband, lover, neighbour) like ourselves, and dedicated 6 of the 10 commandments to that effect, and those were later confirmed by Jesus. The verse in Leviticus shows that perfect desire of God that His children live in harmony with each other, as part of His moral law. The verse in Exodus comes from the civil and ceremonial law dictated by God to Israel, where there was a need for civil obedience when they established their new nation, after being freed from Egypt. It is an indication that in civil law, the punishment should fit the crime, administered by a governmental structure. The one verse (Lev) relates to our personal relationships with fellow Christians, where we are instructed not to take avenge etc, as you point out from Jesus teachings, and Jesus also extends this to our personal enemies, to clear up the false teachings. The second verse (Ex) relates specifically to the civil law and governmental structure of ancient Israel, and you can reference that back to Deut 5 and the early part of Deut 6, where the distinction is clearly made between the moral law (10 commandments) and the civil and ceremonial law that followed and was applicable to Israel at that time.
And then Jesus comes along as says this:

38 "You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' 39But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. 41And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. 42Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.

Why the drastic change, do you think?
I don't think it was a drastic change. With Jesus's coming, the civil and ceremonial laws were abrogated, and Jesus confirmed what was written in the moral law, that as Christians we should not personally seek vengeance against those that wrong us. Sorry for going off on a bit of a tangent here, but this is very important, we cannot be fully filled with the Holy Spirit if we carry thoughts of vengeance and retribution against those that have wronged us. Just as God forgives us fully for our sins, He expects that we fully forgive those who have wronged us, and that necessarily excludes seeking vengeance. (See the Lord's prayer, His forgiving our sins is tied to us forgiving those who we would as unbelievers have seeked vengeance against).

It is important to note though, that we are still subject to the governments that God appoints over us, and the civil laws that they espouse. This should not be seen as personal retribution, but the administration of an orderly and law-abiding society.

Hope it helps.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

To August

Post by Christian2 »

Thank you for going through these Scriptures with me. Your thoughts have been much appreciated and helpful. I intend to keep them on file.

Thank you.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Matthew 5:43-46, "hate your enemy"?

Post by puritan lad »

Christian2 wrote:Hello,
Jesus said, "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy; But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those whose persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Mt. 5.43-46
As I understand it, this saying "love your neighbor and hate your enemy" is not in the Old Testament. Does anyone know who Jesus was addressing when He said this? Jesus must have heard it somewhere, but where?

Thanks.
Hello Christian,

The key to understang this passage is Jesus's opening words, "You have heard that it was said", not "It is written". He was not quoting scripture, but addressing a saying of the Pharisees. The entire sermon on the mount was Jesus's reaffirmation of the law, as opposed to the Pharisee's perversion of it, as the above saying showed. The phrase "hate your enemy" was added by the Pharisees. Jesus straightened things out.