Someone please clarify.

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
jerickson314
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by jerickson314 »

XenonII wrote:I would question however that this ailment has been eliminated in "many" people. The APA doesn't seem to think so?
[

I am familiar with the APA position on this issue. They don't really have any case, from what I've seen. Some logic and philosophy leads to the conclusion that the ex-gays are in a better position than the APA to comment on the possibility of change. I'll summarize:

The APA is trying to do something called "proving a negative". They are claiming that there does not exist any person who has changed sexual orientation. This notion can actually be disproven, by providing an example of at least one person who has changed sexual orientation. ]This has been done. However, the APA still does not believe. They seem to claim that the ex-gay testimonies must be lies, simply because sexual orientation cannot be changed. Thus, their logic "begs the question" and is invalid. There are still at least two ways by which they could support their ideas, however:

1.) Demonstrate that the ex-gay testimonies are not credible, through some means other than a begged question about the impossibility of change.
2.) Demonstrate that there is something inherent in SSA that would make it unchangeable. For instance, demonstrate that it is entirely controlled by inborn factors.

Item 1 has been achieved for a fraction of ex-gay testimonies, but not for the majority. Item 2 has pretty much been disproven, by twin studies and such.

There exists at least one other way to "prove a negative", but it doesn't apply to the question of orientation change.

The fact of the matter is that the APA cannot know that change is impossible (even if we were to assume that it is impossible), whereas the ex-gays can know that change is possible. The ex-gays do say that change is possible, and there is no good reason to doubt all of them.
XenonII wrote:I also think the severe health threats are more associated with unsafe sex practices, promiscuity and bad luck.
For the most part, yes. Some other factors (like anal cancer) do apply more generally, like to any anal sex. It is the psychological health threats that seem to apply the most generally.
XenonII wrote:Not struggling in the sense that I am engaging in SSB, I find to resist SSB to be quite easy, but the condition of SSA I still find deeply troubling and depressing, it feels like a barrier between me and God at times and is even effecting my faith.
By "struggling", I basically just meant "experiencing". Sorry if that wasn't clear. I am sorry that your situtation is as it is, and hope that you will be able to experience healing. It must be hard.
XenonII wrote:Sometimes I wonder. Romans says God has abandoned them, but then those people engaged in all sorts of evil acts, and I am celibate,
If you read the context, it's talking about rebellion against God. Remaining celibate out of submission to God certainly does not constitute rebellion!
XenonII wrote:so I don't know and I don't know whats required or expected of me, to try and change, or seek counselling to cope with the feelings, or just remain celebate or what.
It's really between you and God. I will mention that none of these options would be sinful, but counseling and attempting change do sound like wise ideas.
XenonII wrote:It's a very loney condition you don't feel like you can talk to anyone about it for fear of what their reaction maybe or the preconceived image they may have of "one of those people".
I can imagine, knowing how many people in the public schools tell gay jokes and such. Even many Christians have quite a condemning attitude, and seem to know almost nothing about SSA.

Becoming Real does have an article on telling. Don't know if it will be helpful.
XenonII wrote:It's also something I feel deeply ashamed about and I didn't really want to discuss it on here but I dunno I need to be able to let someone know about it and not just keep suffering in silence its tearing me apart!
If you don't feel comfortable talking about it, don't feel pressured. You may also want to seek support from a local congregation or organization, or from a forum specializing in this sort of thing. LiveHope is available for those under 25, and I think there are some at PeopleCanChange open to older guys as well. Both of these are for those who don't want to become involved in SSB, the former being exclusively Christian.