hell's population

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Anonymous

hell's population

Post by Anonymous »

From a chirstian's prespective are people like gandhi, mohammed, buddha, dogen to name a few 'saints' all casted into the depths of hell ?

Does this not contradicts with the christian's moral concept of justice?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Everyone on their own is condemned before God for all have sinned no matter how much good they have done. God would be quite just in casting every one of us out from His presence.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Lol.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I see, i see...

its true that everybody must have at one point in time committed what would be defined as 'sin' by chirsitians.

So I guess that the chirstian god makes exceptions to those who repent through jesus?
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

nameless wrote:So I guess that the chirstian god makes exceptions to those who repent through jesus?
God will forgive the sin of anyone who turns to Him, yes. And one does that by repenting through Jesus. Forgiveness is a free gift from God, it need only be accepted.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Yes, as well as those who have never heard of Jesus but still listened to their conscience and did good.

From your list, I would give the following comments:

gandhi - He was quite aware of Jesus and his teachings, yet rejected his divinity. Not much hope.

Mohammed - If the qur'ran is what he actually thought, i don't think there is much hope for him. His teachings go directly against jewish and christian teachings.

buddha - Predates Jesus, so I don't see why he wouldn't be saved since his teachings were good (from my limited experience anyway)

dogen - I know close to nothing about him, so i can't tell. If he had no contact with christianity, he would probably be saved as well.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

i guess its non applicable to pose the question as to why god does not create what I deem would be a fairer system where ppl can earn their way to heaven if they commit say 'X amount of good deed' etc as an alternative to repenting through jesus christ...
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

nameless wrote:i guess its non applicable to pose the question as to why god does not create what I deem would be a fairer system where ppl can earn their way to heaven if they commit say 'X amount of good deed' etc as an alternative to repenting through jesus christ...
Your system is idiotic. Jesus's system allows everybody to be saved no matter what time in their life this occurs. With your system somebody who was a criminal their entire life would be stupid to come to Christ because he'd get into Hell anyway. Jesus gives anybody who is alive the opportunity to be saved. And what makes you think you do more good things than bad, or that you do a lot of good to begin with? Do you give money to every homeless person you meet? Do you volunteer your spare time? What sacrifices do you make that are worthy of Heaven? Simply "living your life" does not qualify as a good deed. Helping out friends and family does not qualify as good deeds because even the most wicked do that.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

nameless wrote:i guess its non applicable to pose the question as to why god does not create what I deem would be a fairer system where ppl can earn their way to heaven if they commit say 'X amount of good deed' etc as an alternative to repenting through jesus christ...
Good post on the fact that people would not repent even with proof of God.
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... ight=#8338

Or, see this discussion which addresses the very same issue. I'm hoping to finish my response to that thread today...
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... highlight=
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I'd agree that the current system is unfair for all deserve the same end—to be outcast from God. Yet, God used something foolish to those who don't believe, to offer grace to those who do. That is, God used Christ who died in our place to redeem those who accept such a gift from their own sin. All one has to do is choose to accept this gift.

Now imagine two clubs. One says people can only come if they have earned membership. To earn membership one must obtain superior wisdom, fulfill a long list of demands, or acheive a certain level of spirituality. Despite the best efforts of many a lot of people aren't going to gain membership and will be excluded. That is generally what all other religions besides Christianity teach. You must do something to earn your way to God.

On the other hand, the second club says anyone who wants to come in can because Jesus has already paid for your membership. Regardless of ethnic heritage, where you live, or your past history... the doors are open and anyone can come in. Entry is not based on qualifications, but only accepting Christ's gracious gift. What could be fairer to all? The matter is left up to each of us to decide. The question is, what will you ultimately decide?

Kurieuo.
Last edited by Kurieuo on Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Your system is idiotic
:( what I meant was a 2 path system, one repent through christ, and the second would be being a 'very good' person in general. That way people who are very good such as gandhi himself wouldnt go to hell. Sort of like a fail safe. The criteria of 'very good' of course being set up by god as defined by his moral system.

If I was god I would have such a system.

Good post on the fact that people would not repent even with proof of God.
Hmm... actually I would not repent if there was a proof of christian god as I disapprove of his conduct
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

nameless wrote: :( what I meant was a 2 path system, one repent through christ, and the second would be being a 'very good' person in general. That way people who are very good such as gandhi himself wouldnt go to hell. Sort of like a fail safe. The criteria of 'very good' of course being set up by god as defined by his moral system.
Ahh, but there is a two path system. Accepting Christ's gift, or being perfect and without any wrong.

Kurieuo.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

kk, I see how the christian system works then.
Thanks

well then 3 paths..
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

hmm... why does god need to send jesus down to pay the membership,
couldnt he equally grant membership to people who believe in him without jesus having to die etc... is this one of the inexplicable nature of god again?
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

It's not inexplicable. It's a symbol of God's love.