Hugh Ross' Reasons to Believe examines the Shroud of Turin

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Hugh Ross' Reasons to Believe examines the Shroud of Turin

Post by Philip »

Hugh Ross and his Reasons to Believe organization were originally dismissive of the Shroud of Turin. And yet, it appears they are now taking another and closer look at it. Here is a nice overview from a medical professional of what can be learned about the Shroud just by examining it - with some interesting things I'd not heard before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Mjdqzurgc
bkudrle
Newbie Member

Re: Reasons to Believe (Reasons.org) on the Shroud of Turin

Post by bkudrle »

Very interesting overview of the Shroud of Turin that I have not heard before. It seems pretty convincing that this is a cloth from someone who has been crucified. The evidence of the blood on the head that is consistent with a crown of thorns seems pretty compelling to me that this could be the crucifixion of Jesus, given that such an injury would not be part of a standard crucifixion. Thanks for sharing this.

On this note, I just received a DVD on this subject called "Who Can He Be?". It is more of a historical documentary and seems to be very well done. It is by David Rolfe, a professional film maker. I have only watched about 30 minutes or so of it but it has passed my test for something that my wife will probably watch with me, so I hope to watch the rest of it later with her. I didn't get to this part yet, but apparently this DVD makes a good case that the dating of the cloth can be traced back 2000 years. David Rolfe has a standing challenge to the British Museum to back up their claim from the 1980s that dated the cloth only to medieval times. I am looking forward to hearing more about the claims in this DVD.
Philip
Site Owner

More details on the Shroud of Turin from Reasons to Believe

Post by Philip »

Clearly, the scientific data - particularly as it relates to the widely reported (but ultimately flawed) 1988 dating on the Shroud of Turin, per its testing on what is now known to have been REPAIRS interwoven during the medieval-era cloth, into what is now known to be the FAR older, first-century Shroud's cloth - has finally drawn Reasons to Believe's team of scientists and experts to take a much closer look at this incredible artifact.

Here is some terrific information on the cloth itself, including chemical fibers and fiber analysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNQV5mp1INk

As the incredible, accumulated evidences has collectively shown us, in a way, I would say that the Shroud represents the world's first "photographic" (negative) exposure. As this first-century crucified man's image - on what has been, scientifically, perhaps the world's most-studied artifact - was captured as a witness for all time, of the greatest and most important event in earth's history: The Resurrection of Jesus Christ. The impressive weight of the collective evidences eventually led me to ask myself, who else could the image be of, but Christ? And I rhetorically ask this as one, at least initially, tremendously skeptical of the claims connecting the Shroud to Jesus of Nazareth.

Also, see this post (All about the Shroud): viewtopic.php?p=254205#p254205