Hugh Ross asserts scientific dates for Biblical Creation references

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Hugh Ross asserts scientific dates for Biblical Creation references

Post by Philip »

Astronomer Hugh Ross of Reasons to Believe (Reasons.org) references key Bible passages and applies approximate scientific dates for them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiAsjtHRsbQ
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Re: Hugh Ross asserts scientific dates for Biblical Creation references

Post by Fliegender »

Hugh Ross is promoting Day-Age in the YouTube video linked to above. The problem I saw in the video is that Dr. Ross seemed to have put the first day of creation at 3,825 billion years ago. That date doesn’t line up with current theory which estimates the age of the universe at 13,8 billion years. So where are the missing 10 billion years between the Big Bang and Dr. Ross’ Creation Day #1?

Schroeder’s Creation Perspective attempts to answer that...and much more. If interested, the reader can get the answer here:

http://geraldschroeder.com/AgeUniverse.aspx

YouTube also has some interviews with Dr Schroeder where he briefly explains his ideas.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Fliegender wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:12 pm Hugh Ross is promoting Day-Age in the YouTube video linked to above. The problem I saw in the video is that Dr. Ross seemed to have put the first day of creation at 3,825 billion years ago. That date doesn’t line up with current theory which estimates the age of the universe at 13,8 billion years. So where are the missing 10 billion years between the Big Bang and Dr. Ross’ Creation Day #1?

Schroeder’s Creation Perspective attempts to answer that...and much more. If interested, the reader can get the answer here:

http://geraldschroeder.com/AgeUniverse.aspx

YouTube also has some interviews with Dr Schroeder where he briefly explains his ideas.
Flie, here, he's not postulating a date for the earth's creation (which he has consistently put at about 4.5 billion years ago) - what he's referencing is the beginning of LIFE on the earth. Notice, the Scripture references God brooding over the waters of the earth, which already exists. And Hugh and co. also have long put the Big Bang's beginning at about 13.73 billion years ago.
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

Philip wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:47 pm
Flie, here, he's not postulating a date for the earth's creation (which he has consistently put at about 4.5 billion years ago) - what he's referencing is the beginning of LIFE on the earth. Notice, the Scripture references God brooding over the waters of the earth, which already exists. And Hugh and co. also have long put the Big Bang's beginning at about 13.73 billion years ago.
Okay...then Dr Ross misspoke when he said that “...3,825 billion years, plus or minus 0,006 billion years...so that would be the start of* Creation Day One...” He was obviously talking about the creation of life, not the creation of the universe. The quote is taken from the 50 second to the one minute, ten-second segment of the video you linked to.

Anyone can make a mistake.

*the emphasis is mine.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Flie - I like that you question stuff. Because it is so easy to just pass on incorrect or imprecise info. As much as I respect Hugh Ross, I do feel he has "scientificized" portions of the Bible that weren't necessarily meant to be perceived scientifically - ESPECIALLY as the original audience for the Creation passages were ancient, pre-scientific age people. That's one thing I really got out of Johnny Miller's book, "In the Beginning We Misunderstood." When I talked to Fuz Rana (of RTB) a couple of years ago, I asked him if he'd ever read the book - he hadn't (should have!). Of course, when you become part of an organization - whether Christian or something in the secular world, once you've received widespread attention and acclaim for your views and books, backing up when you realize you've been in error becomes exceptionally difficult. But Hugh, Fuz, RTB, etc, to their credit, did so when they realized the Neanderthals HAD interbred with humans, intermingling genetic and thus their tell-tale markers. But Hugh and Co. were exactly what they Young Earth movement needed challenging on. Plus, they've done a tremendous job making people aware of the immense complexity and incredible fine-tuning necessary for the universe, earth and life.