Jehovah Witness at your door: Serious questions for him!

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Jehovah Witness at your door: Serious questions for him!

Post by Philip »

Most of us have encountered a Jehovah's Witness at their door - what do you say to them? Do you ever challenge their doctrine about Jesus? They assert the one thing all of the other major cults do - they insist that Jesus is not GOD, but that He is merely an important, but created, being.

This detailed video goes through almost every conceivable assertion you might hear from a Jehovah's witness, with excellent questions and responses that would hopefully make them realize the massive inconsistencies - both current and historically - that their church and Watchtower Organization have taught and asserted. It's not about winning arguments - it's about presenting them with facts to consider that might make them see the truth. IF their heart is open, God can use key things you might make them aware of - things they may not know or haven't considered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJR6TTS1vS8
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Re: Jehovah Witness at your door: Serious questions for him!

Post by Fliegender »

Philip wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:06 pm
...IF their heart is open, God can use key things you might make them aware of - things they may not know or haven't considered.
IF their heart is open” you say. It never is in my experience. Never... Never, ever. The problem with pointing out the errors in Watchtower teachings is that the first visit to your house by Witnesses is done by neophyte believers. It’s easy to trip them up because they don’t know anything beyond the scripted answers they have been taught. So they promise to send you someone else who can “answer your questions”. When the more experienced team arrives, you are dealing with deeply convinced proselytizers. If you want to deal with these people, go ahead. I’m convinced it’s pointless.

When a group of Witnesses are canvassing door-to-door, you would be wasting your time talking to these people. Jehovah’s Witnesses have a “you-fight-me-you-fight-my-gang” mentality. A far better way to present biblical Christianity to a Witness is to chat one-on-one, informally.

The same goes for Mormon missionaries who show up at your door.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Jehovah Witness at your door: Serious questions for him!

Post by Philip »

Flie: When the more experienced team arrives, you are dealing with deeply convinced proselytizers.
Flie, I agree. With these "convinced" types, I immediately cut to the heart of the matter about Christ deity and as soon as they start their rebuttal chatter, I usher them away. But with the young "greenhorns," I think it's worth mentioning a few things that might make them think - the result is up God and whether or not they are totally closed off to Him. If you read the comments on some of these videos, you'll see that many former cultists HAVE had their eyes opened by exposure to the truth about their cult. And Scripture has many encounters where the Apostles or prophets put truth before people. Evangelism is to include spreading the word to people who we have zero idea of what their response might be. But, these hardcore proselytizers seem a waste of time - probably why it took the Apostle Paul have blindness resulting from a radical encounter with Christ to truly get his attention. And even then, he pondered what had happened to him, amidst his blindness, and his conversion was NOT instantaneous.

But the power of this video can be considerable to the JW who has never learned about the contents within it - as many would be shocked. And like many calling themselves a Christian, whom are nonetheless merely a cultural one - there are certainly JWs, while certainly not saved, have not yet bought into the whole theological teachings of their church, for whom things like this video could be an eye-opener. You simply can't practice "conversational evangelism" if you only willing to do it with people you are certain will be open to it - as that's not what Scripture teaches about the Great Commission.