Atheism on the rise

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Armyman
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes

Atheism on the rise

Post by Armyman »

Why is atheism on the rise and why do they think there is no evidence for God? Why do people equate atheism with smarts and theism as stupid?
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Atheism on the rise

Post by DBowling »

Armyman wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:39 pm Why is atheism on the rise and why do they think there is no evidence for God? Why do people equate atheism with smarts and theism as stupid?
Romans 1:19-22
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

Armyman wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:39 pm Why is atheism on the rise and why do they think there is no evidence for God? Why do people equate atheism with smarts and theism as stupid?
Mr Bowling gave you the biblical answer; I’ll give you just one reason from the secular realm:

When nominal Christians saw that evangelicals supported Trump en masse it made faith in God look bad.

E0042A85-FEA3-42B1-85E0-B148293A404F.jpeg
E0042A85-FEA3-42B1-85E0-B148293A404F.jpeg (85.5 KiB) Viewed 6270 times
I mean, you have to be a weapons-grade nutcase to believe Trump was some sort of godsend.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Are there Christians who have bought into false political solutions and saviors - unquestionably. But that doesn't mean that many of them also AREN'T truly saved - it just means they are confused and are nonetheless ALSO looking for a political savior to solve our temporal problems - in a way, similar to how many in Christ's day were looking toward a Messiah that they hoped would sock it to the Romans and restore Israel to greatness. Of course, many such people are unsaved as well. But a lot of people are trying to deny God and make themselves feel good and morally superior by pointing out the hypocrisy and mistakes of others. But that's still going to end in eternal doom if they don't spiritually wake up! We're ALL screwed up, in varying ways. Yet God didn't come to save people who had it all together and figured out. He came to save messed up people just like you and me - and yes, also some loons with ridiculous signs on the back of their van! But, yeah, Christians that get sucked into secular political schemes are deceived that some politicians or party is going to make everything okay. And that's a deluded fantasy.
Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

Philip wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:28 pm Are there Christians who have bought into false political solutions and saviors - unquestionably. But that doesn't mean that many of them also AREN'T truly saved - it just means they are confused and are nonetheless ALSO looking for a political savior to solve our temporal problems - in a way, similar to how many in Christ's day were looking toward a Messiah that they hoped would sock it to the Romans and restore Israel to greatness. Of course, many such people are unsaved as well. But a lot of people are trying to deny God and make themselves feel good and morally superior by pointing out the hypocrisy and mistakes of others. But that's still going to end in eternal doom if they don't spiritually wake up! We're ALL screwed up, in varying ways. Yet God didn't come to save people who had it all together and figured out. He came to save messed up people just like you and me - and yes, also some loons with ridiculous signs on the back of their van! But, yeah, Christians that get sucked into secular political schemes are deceived that some politicians or party is going to make everything okay. And that's a deluded fantasy.
Nice post but you’ve gone off on a tangent. The original question wasn’t if true, born-of-the-Spirit Christians can also be genuine fruitcakes like the guy driving the Trumpmobile. Scripture confirms that many of us are simple in the ways of the world. No argument there. However, there’s a world of difference between being unknowledgeable or naive and being just plain foolish. Christians who believe the world is 6000 years old and those who hold that the earth is flat are doing as much to make all of us look like dimwits as Westboro Baptists or Benny Hinn disciples.

A lot of atheism strikes me as emotional; emotional in the sense that it isn’t thought through. Scratch the surface of many atheists and you’ll see anger, daddy issues, or science as a proto-religion. When nominal Christians see the very vocal wackos who purport to be Christian, should we be surprised that they decide that atheism is right after all? I’m not.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Of COURSE many Christians are naive, etc., buying into all manner of false stuff. But so are atheists - and yes, typically for emotional reasons that lie behind what they'll actually assert.
FlieG: When nominal Christians see the very vocal wackos who purport to be Christian, should we be surprised that they decide that atheism is right after all? I’m not.
That's because atheists often see ONLY what they WANT to - as they selectively will buy into whatever they WANT to. Yet, no doubt that foolish Christians are wrecking their own witness for Christ with skewed beliefs! I see the same whackos - they've always been around - but I choose to look beyond them and DEEPER, because there are other voices and sources of truth to be found - IF one is willing to look for and sift them. But the entrenched atheists all seem to have the same characteristic - A) they don't tend to want to know any truth that conflicts with what they already have decided for themselves to be true and B) they've set their heart / brain switch to block any spiritually enlightening information from getting through that remotely suggests they might be wrong - especially if they would only carefully and honestly examine certain evidences. But people don't want to know what they don't want to know - especially, if they think it means they might have to abandon their narcissistic desire to remain the own little personal god in favor of the REAL one!

So, looking around at the various Christian (and other) whackos, for atheists, is just one more convenient excuse and self-delusion that keeps them comfortably immersed in their own unbelief. I see people all time that are off the rails on certain issues, but that yet are often spot-on concerning other things - unfortunately, human beings are messy that way! I mean, I see that with political self-identification all the time - people will demonize the actions or words of a group they dislike, but if others from their own favored group do the exact same things, they are strangely silent and ignore it. And that is emotional thinking in action!
Armyman
Recognized Member

Post by Armyman »

You're saying it's due to a poor grasp of certain subjects? Makes sense.

It's a shame it's on the rise.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

Fliegender wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:08 pm
Mr Bowling gave you the biblical answer; I’ll give you just one reason from the secular realm:

When nominal Christians saw that evangelicals supported Trump en masse it made faith in God look bad.

I mean, you have to be a weapons-grade nutcase to believe Trump was some sort of godsend.
I think it would be foolish to blame the fringe nut jobs like the ones in the photo as the reason for the rise in Atheism, I think it is much deeper than that; I think the internet and information age has more to do with it than anything else.
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

Kenny wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:01 pm
Fliegender wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:08 pm

I think it would be foolish to blame the fringe nut jobs like the ones in the photo as the reason for the rise in Atheism, I think it is much deeper than that; I think the internet and information age has more to do with it than anything else.
Exactly.
Many Christians believe and have heard from God that Trump was used by God to give the world a little more time and breathing space before something hits the fan.

No, Trump isn't a Christian and he is certainly no saint, but God has used people like him before to achieve a certain goal. I certainly needed that time to do things in my life, both spiritually and in my personal life, I'm sure many others will be glad they had 4 more years to prepare.

Trump's days are over and blaming him for the rise in atheism is quite the stretch. It is people like Neil de Grasse Tyson and TV channels like Nat Geo and the school and university curriculum's teaching evolution that is turning people away from Christianity.

Essentially we are living in a society that is all about atheism wherever you turn.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

Kenny wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:01 pm I think it would be foolish to blame the fringe nut jobs like the ones in the photo as the reason for the rise in Atheism, I think it is much deeper than that; I think the internet and information age has more to do with it than anything else.
No...while there are some intelligent and knowledgeable atheists, most ask stupid questions on forums like “Doesn’t science prove God doesn’t exist?” which shows they are ignorant of just what science is.
-John Stuart Mill
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Fliegender wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:15 pm
Kenny wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:01 pm I think it would be foolish to blame the fringe nut jobs like the ones in the photo as the reason for the rise in Atheism, I think it is much deeper than that; I think the internet and information age has more to do with it than anything else.
No...while there are some intelligent and knowledgeable atheists, most ask stupid questions on forums like “Doesn’t science prove God doesn’t exist?” which shows they are ignorant of just what science is.
I find that difficult to believe. Take this forum for example; can you find a single incident where an atheist asked such an absurd question? If not here, can you point me to any forum where an actual atheist asked such an absurd question?
RickD wrote
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Kenny wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:07 pm
I find that difficult to believe. Take this forum for example; can you find a single incident where an atheist asked such an absurd question? If not here, can you point me to any forum where an actual atheist asked such an absurd question?

Ken, atheists may not ASK the question, but they sure widely assert that science disproves God!

Easy examples of best-selling books by famous, atheist scientists:

And prominent atheists like scientist Richard Dawkins, obsessed in book after book to asserting belief in God is dangerous and foolish, while asserting scientificism instead has all of the satisfying answers any "intelligent" person could ever want!

Almost all of the New Atheists works appeal to science to assert it refutes God.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Philip wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:00 pm
Kenny wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:07 pm

Ken, atheists may not ASK the question, but they sure widely assert that science disproves God!

Easy examples of best-selling books by famous, atheist scientists:

And prominent atheists like scientist Richard Dawkins, obsessed in book after book to asserting belief in God is dangerous and foolish, while asserting scientificism instead has all of the satisfying answers any "intelligent" person could ever want!

Almost all of the New Atheists works appeal to science to assert it refutes God.
Now that’s different. I can understand someone believing scientific discoveries disproving God based on history. Thunder used to be claimed the result of Thor’s mighty hammer; but science proved that wrong, so nobody believes that anymore. But it’s not just outdated religions, even religions of today. For example; whoever wrote Revelations claimed a day when the stars fall from the sky and land on Earth. Now whoever wrote that book had no concept about what the actual Universe is, so when science prove these things wrong, it seems those who want to continue to believe the Bible provides accurate information about the physical Universe, will often find themselves going back to the bible to reinterpret what it says and proclaim it to be a figurative interpretation rather than a literal interpretation. This constantly going back to change what it means in light of new scientific information makes a convincing argument that whatever religion is required to do this, is proven wrong.
RickD wrote
Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

Kenny wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:07 pm I find that difficult to believe. Take this forum for example; can you find a single incident where an atheist asked such an absurd question? If not here, can you point me to any forum where an actual atheist asked such an absurd question?
This forum doesn’t get too many atheists. You finding it “difficult to believe” that an atheist would actually ask stupid questions likely reveals that you think atheists are brighter than believers. So be it! If you want to see just how unintelligent and hostile many atheists are, try going to any dedicated atheist forum - they are easy to find - or visit a site such as Quora and visit their atheist rooms.
-John Stuart Mill
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Fliegender wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:36 am
Kenny wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:07 pm I find that difficult to believe. Take this forum for example; can you find a single incident where an atheist asked such an absurd question? If not here, can you point me to any forum where an actual atheist asked such an absurd question?
This forum doesn’t get too many atheists. You finding it “difficult to believe” that an atheist would actually ask stupid questions likely reveals that you think atheists are brighter than believers.
Sounds like you are suggesting believers ask stupid questions. Humm....
RickD wrote