Answering an atheist

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Thomaskutty
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes

Answering an atheist

Post by Thomaskutty »

A friend of mine who is an atheist challenged me with a question like this.

A tiger chasing a deer prays not to skip its prey while deer prays to save his life from the tiger. Whose prayer will be answered if God is just ?. This question put me in a dilemma. Can anybody reasonably give an explanation to this question.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Answering an atheist

Post by RickD »

Welcome to the board Thomas.

Tell him that's not how prayer works. Animals aren't spiritual creatures. They have no concept of God, nevermind prayer.

Basically it's a nonsense question, used to try to trap the person answering.

It's like asking, "if God is all powerful, why can't he make a four-sided triangle?"
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Welcome to the forums, Thomas.

The lesson here is to beware of false premises. If you see a false premise, politely correct the principle in question, and answer accordingly.

It makes no sense to debate using wrong definitions of words or concepts. That's almost the same as arguing with somebody who speaks a language you don't know.
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

Yeah, you could put 2 human beings instead of 2 animals. Say the scenario is the same. The killer prays to kill the one running away. That guy prays to not be caught.
Anyway, why would anyone's prayer be answered? Also, relation of prayer and God is not the same as of a vendor machine, as many people think. You don't insert coin (prayer) to receive product (reward)...
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
crackpot
Familiar Member

Post by crackpot »

The question is dumb and is asked by an equally dumb atheist.

Nevertheless, the correct answer to this dumb question is that the Christian God is sovereign and does what he pleases according to his will.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Thomaskutty wrote:A friend of mine who is an atheist challenged me with a question like this.

A tiger chasing a deer prays not to skip its prey while deer prays to save his life from the tiger. Whose prayer will be answered if God is just ?. This question put me in a dilemma. Can anybody reasonably give an explanation to this question.
Maybe I missed it, but what is the dilemma exactly?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
ICOYAR
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by ICOYAR »

Animals do not have the intelligence or intellectual coherence to even comprehend God. They are therefore exempt from sinful behavior. They cannot pray.
Thomaskutty
Newbie Member

Post by Thomaskutty »

Thanks for the quick response to the question. Why I am in a dilemma to answer the question is that, i want to give that fellow a consistent answer from a logical perspective. I know that my friend who raised the question is affirmative on his disbelief in God and really the question is to ridicule those who believe in God, either Christian or any other. My dilemma was to find an entry point to get well in to the subject with reason and consistency.
Anyhow I have got some thread which will definitely lead me to give an answer.

Thomas
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

Thomaskutty wrote:Thanks for the quick response to the question. Why I am in a dilemma to answer the question is that, i want to give that fellow a consistent answer from a logical perspective. I know that my friend who raised the question is affirmative on his disbelief in God and really the question is to ridicule those who believe in God, either Christian or any other. My dilemma was to find an entry point to get well in to the subject with reason and consistency.

Thomas
Tell us how it goes :ebiggrin:
Duggie70
Acquainted Member

Post by Duggie70 »

May I suggest that you be honest.

Tell your atheist friend that you do not know the answer to his question, and that no mortals on an internet forum know God's answer to such a question. Perhaps the question is even ill-posed.

An admission of not knowing is often the most honorable position.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Thomaskutty wrote:Thanks for the quick response to the question. Why I am in a dilemma to answer the question is that, i want to give that fellow a consistent answer from a logical perspective. I know that my friend who raised the question is affirmative on his disbelief in God and really the question is to ridicule those who believe in God, either Christian or any other. My dilemma was to find an entry point to get well in to the subject with reason and consistency.

Thomas
Really the question doesn't compute for me.
I see nothing just or unjust about an animal eating another.
It's just apart of the natural created order in a world intended to be temporary.

Nonetheless, when you're put in the hot seat (as we often are as Christians given our evident positive stance), then it is often worthwhile asking questions back to clarify what the person means. Anyone can ask questions and make criticisms, but then not all are legitimate -- there are stupid questions and criticisms.

I guarantee you he'll struggle to explain what the dilemma exactly is.

Further, it also makes discussion more respectful (to you), and gives the person likely scoffing your beliefs an opportunity to more seriously reflect upon what it is they're asking. This then provides you with a greater chance to answer their question/s in a more effective manner rather than waste time with a response that doesn't get to the heart of the matter at all.

If they are being respectful with their question rather than seeking to ridicule and turn a deaf ear, then they shouldn't have any issues really clarifying what they mean. Two things up front I'd seek clarity on:
  • What is the dilemma exactly? (may have other questions depending upon their response)
  • What is "just", who says what is "just"? Or is it just his strong feelings...
Obviously, these two questions are crucial to being able to provide any adequate answer.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Thomaskutty wrote:A friend of mine who is an atheist challenged me with a question like this.

The issue is WHose prayer will be answered IF God is Just.
The analogy is flawed of course but the question is a semi-valid one from the atheistic perspective ( a perspective that doesn't acknowledge God much less understand Him).
In short, As the sustainer of the universe it is God sole purview to answer, or not, any prayer directed towards Him.
He doesn't HAVE to of course.

Now, the issue is the "just" part:
'If God is Just, whose prayer will he answer"

The answer is, of course, whichever one God decides to answer since God, being GOD, is just then EVERY ACTION is just because it simply can NOT be anything else, otherwise he would not be God.

Remember, philosophical questions are answered NOT by "science" or even "morals" but by philosophy.
Why is that important?
Because the answer you give will never be right to the skeptic BUT it doesn't have to be right for THEM, it simply has to be a viable answer ( whether they like the answer or agree is 100% irrelevant).
Duggie70
Acquainted Member

Post by Duggie70 »

Whatever you do, do not reply to a skeptic with Bible verses.

Until you have established with the non-believer that the Bible is in fact the Word of God, drawing quotations is merely an exercise in futility.

In many cases it could be downright counterproductive.