"Lordship Salvation"

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: "Lordship Salvation"

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:To be clear, my question concerning what thought-provoking questions we might ask to provoke self-contemplation in those whom might not be saved (but THINK they are) - it's not about what WE can discern from such people, as to any work's-related "proofs" of their salvation, because we can't peer into people's hearts and minds. Its about making others contemplate what they might have deluded themselves over.

Again, the saved thief on the cross comes to mind - he articulated to Jesus an understanding of precisely Who Jesus truly was in his response to the other thief ("Do you not fear GOD?"/ "Remember me when you come into YOUR kingdom."), and his desire for Jesus remember him. What possible WORKS could WE discern from such a man, just hours from death? I would imagine he actually said very little, with every word being excruciating and beyond imaginable effort. Any supposed works would have been in what he articulated for the ages, and more importantly, from the WORK God did in the thief's HEART and MIND, that he RESPONDED to. Also, very interesting, as to the supposed great depth of understanding and theologically correct articulation and manifestation necessary, from many in the Lordship Salvation crowd, that we don't read of some great repentance and deep commitment from the thief Jesus reassured - we see a very simple but powerful understanding has come upon him, of precisely Who/What (Lord) Jesus is, and yet it is articulated so thinly. He doesn't request forgiveness, but that he has turned to Jesus in faith is apparent in the boldness of his "request" - actually, almost a directive: " He does acknowledge that they (the thieves) are paying for sins he himself acknowledges Jesus remember me when you come into your Kingdom."

The saved thief's story is, essentially, a death-bed salvation, during great duress, pain, and realizing that he is soon to die - all of which, and most importantly, his close-up encounter with Jesus, brings him to faith. In fact, it is almost certain that this man, without his fearful dilemma and ALSO encountering Jesus, would never, otherwise have turned. And yet, in the very same situation, witnessing Jesus up close, the other thief echoes the world's mockery of God. But, really, my point of all this is that the INTENTIONS OF THE HEART of this thief are why Jesus judged him acceptable for His Kingdom. From many whom promote the way LS is often articulated, based upon the thin evidence that any MAN could have perceived (without Jesus having validated the thief's salvation), they would likely highly question anyone else's salvation ("Where's the evidence???!!! Where are the WORKS???!!!"). And so I think we all need to emphasize that WE just can't KNOW whether any person having prayed a simple prayer isn't saved - or that they are. But there are cautions of self-examination that are important for everyone. But I will say, when we see NO evidence of works in a LONG-time supposed believer, especially if they are given to certain behaviors and actions - we should be suspicious and at least WONDER about the likelihood they are not saved. But to dogmatically assert that if we haven't seen A,B or C in a person, then we KNOW they aren't saved - degenerate that someone has "prayed a prayer for Jesus to save them," and assert they are likely unsaved - I think, this is complete arrogance, that a MAN can know things only God can about another's salvation - as these may well be things that cannot be SEEN by men.
My opinion is to try to keep it as simple as possible. The gospel is simple. Trust in Christ, and know you have eternal life.

With that said, I'd focus on asking who that person says Jesus Christ is. Then, see if that person knows what Christ has done for him so that he may have eternal life.

Then go from there.

You've seen how many times just on this forum, people have claimed to be a believer, or even claimed to once have been a believer. Then with a little basic questioning, we find out that they either have some other Jesus that they though was the Christ who saves. Or we find out that they never actually believed on/trusted Christ. Maybe they just believed Christ was the Son of God, but never actually trusted in his atoning work.

I know you know this, but people tend to over complicate the gospel. It's really very simple. It's when people start adding stuff to the gospel, like works, keeping faithful, forsaking sin, making Christ Lord above all, etc., that the gospel that saves, becomes a false gospel that confuses and puts unbiblical burdens on people.

People need to be saved first. Then we can worry about teaching them to be a good disciple, as one with complete assurance that God is faithful in what He has promised.

The gospel is not "believe in Christ, AND be a faithful and good Christian, AND do good works in order to stay saved.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

why do people need evidence of another's faith?
Can YOU save him? Can YOU save her?
No.
That is God's territory.
It is HIS place to judge the faith, not ours.

The reason this crap comes along every so often is because PEOPLE WANT to boast about how good they are, "look how charitable I am, Look how I give and take care of others!, I am Christ's special snowflake !".

True Christian good works should NOT be seen, no one needs to know what we give, to who and why. No one needs to know who we take care of or who we preach to.

What's next, timesheets to see how MUCH we preach? visitation sheets to see how we are preaching to?
Welcome to the world of the JW's !

If you give and care Christ knows and He knows WHy you do it.

You know what is the number 1 evidence of God's grace" of having the HS?
Not talking about what OTHERS ARE DOING OR NOT DOING !
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I am sure there are many that read the story of the crucified criminal and think:
"Why did he get saved? what did he do to deserve it?"
You know that the JW's say that he did nOT go into paradise with Christ that day because Christ didn't go BUT the reality behind their reluctance to accept that Christ said "Today you will be with me in paradise" is because the criminal never preached door-to-door and didn't do anything to deserve salvation because, deep down they believe that you HAVE to DO faith based works to be saved, namely preach door-to-door and attend the bible studies ( which you have to do for a X number of hours before you can get baptized by the way).

This is what happens when people ADD to the gospel, they get a list of things the MUST do IF they TRULY are under God's grace.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:why do people need evidence of another's faith?
Can YOU save him? Can YOU save her?
No.
That is God's territory.
It is HIS place to judge the faith, not ours.

The reason this crap comes along every so often is because PEOPLE WANT to boast about how good they are, "look how charitable I am, Look how I give and take care of others!, I am Christ's special snowflake !".

True Christian good works should NOT be seen, no one needs to know what we give, to who and why. No one needs to know who we take care of or who we preach to.

What's next, timesheets to see how MUCH we preach? visitation sheets to see how we are preaching to?
Welcome to the world of the JW's !

If you give and care Christ knows and He knows WHy you do it.

You know what is the number 1 evidence of God's grace" of having the HS?
Not talking about what OTHERS ARE DOING OR NOT DOING !
Paul,

You made a great point that shouldn't be overlooked. We should do good works quietly, without fanfare, and without having to tell people what we did.

Matthew 6:3

We should do good works out of love. Not to get recognized. It's really nobody else's business what I do or don't do. It's between me and God.

And it definitely isn't a competition.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Let's break Matthew 7 down a bit more. If we are looking to see understandable, visible works that JESUS will recognize - they obviously include works that it seems people immersed in LS beliefs would find as validation of a person's salvation. Not everyone, mind you, but some of those strongly asserting some of what I've heard them say (like Paul Washer).

Mathew 7: 21: “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’"

WOW! So, if you saw someone prophesying in Jesus' name, casting out DEMONS in His name - was able and empowered by God to do so, desired to cast them out, and also was doing "MANY MIGHTY works" in Jesus' name - I'm guessing many Christians would assume this to be a person anointed by God and determined to do His will. Because, for all APPEARANCES, from a MAN's point of view, that is precisely what one would probably think. And yet Jesus calls such works, in certain people, "works of lawlessness." Now, we know that the very same things MIGHT well be evidences that such a person is a mature and diligent Believer, building up their treasures in Heaven, with works that are manifest as such. But Jesus says such work "evidences" ain't necessarily so!

And the above should be a great caution to those of us whom are constantly scrutinizing the supposed Christian landscape for confirmations of people's "true faith." Because the words of Jesus tell me one can't always KNOW if the works perceived are pleasing to God, done by one of His children, or are, instead, works "of lawlessness." Clearly: 1) we can't know just by appearances of what WE might see as evidences of such; And, 2) That it's not the WORKS that are the problem - it's that they are done apart from one having a faith in Christ, by one just "checking off boxes," and trying hard to do THINGS without having a heart and motivation that springs from the indwelling of the Lord, received through faith. It also strongly suggests the motivation of such "works" is merely for show, and not motivated out of a true love for the Lord. Now, it is VERY frightening that a person could so deceive themselves, doing so much "in God's name," but yet not having Him in their hearts. But, again, as with many of the health and wealth TV preachers - they are there so much for show and self-promotion, or other desires. And yet they convince themselves they are "doing the Lord's work."
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

The thief is a good example, another is the "sinful woman" of Luke 7:36-50. Here you have a woman who never spoke a word, who (as far as we know) wasn't baptized (yet, or perhaps never); yet prior to the advent of the church, or even Christ's sacrifice, she was pronounced "saved" by her FAITH, and not what she did. I've seen Mormons and others practically do backflips on Luke 7:50; saying "saved" doesn't mean "saved" and the like. It's a wonderful portion of scripture.

I also think Luke 7:47 is key, along with Luke 18:9-14 and Matthew 7:21-23, to understanding the "lukewarmness" of Laodicea in Revelation 3, and how the church is today. Hint: the modern-day Laodicea isn't just those who contradict the condition of sinful man, it's also those who think their sins are few - yet James 2:10 and Isaiah 64:6 logically tells us that we are all guilty of her sin.
Last edited by SoCalExile on Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
God's grace is not cheap; it's free.
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

Yankee Arnold nails it here:

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

SoCal,

Thanks for posting the YouTube link to Yankee Arnold. I looked up his church, and if it weren't a 3 hour ride to get there, I might think about going back to church again. ;)

-Edward R Murrow

SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

Yeah I'm on the GA coast and I'm in a Bible desert myself.

Some good points here:
http://expreacherman.com/stemming-fruit-inspection/
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

PaulSacramento wrote: Why should any Christian look to see what another is doing? IF they are doing "enough"?

Who's place is it to judge our belief? our acts? is it not God's?

And if not God's then why are you looking to what your brother does or doesn't do ?
Just to make sure I'm not being misunderstood here.

Jesus condemns in the harshest of terms those who 'judge' others.
Jesus makes it clear that I need to take care of the log in my eye before I bother with the splinter in the eye's of others.

As you correctly point out, it is God's job to judge others, not mine.

In Christ
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

SoCalExile wrote:My points are being ignored, but I'll make them anyway.

Ephesians 2:10 does not guarantee good works , to say so, again, contradicts Romans 4:5 and Romans 11:6. What Paul must be saying is that there is no room to boast, because you and any works you manage to do aren't your own either; they were laid out by God; who btw, knows aready where we will succeed or fail and yet His grace is still free, and not a loan.
Ephesians 2:10 specifically states that we are saved by grace through faith to do good works.

I haven't ignored your point. In fact I have already responded to your assertion that Romans 4:5 contradicts the position that the result of genuine faith is good works.
Again Romans 4:5 and Romans 11:6 are speaking to the enabler or cause of salvation not the results of salvation.
Not acknowledging (or possibly simply ignoring) the difference between being the cause of something and being the effect of something appears to be one of the reasons you continue to misapply Romans 4:5 and Romans 11:6 in this discussion.

In Christ
Last edited by DBowling on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

RickD wrote: The comparison with tongues, was supposed to show you that just as tongues being an indicator of salvation isn't biblical, in the same way, works being an indicator of salvation is not biblical.
I simply respond with this...
I believe Jesus (Matthew 7:21-23), Paul (Romans 6:1-7), John (1 John 2:3-6), and James (James 2:14-19) all support the premise that works are a product of and indicator of salvation.

And look at the great dissertation on faith in Hebrews 11.
The great Faith Chapter is all about how faith manifests itself in the lives of God's people.
Faith is living... Faith changes lives... Faith produces good works.
But getting to your last paragraph:
So if grace causes salvation and salvation in turn causes good works, then the assertion that salvation causes good works does not add to or replace grace. It actually reinforces the primacy of grace by recognizing that both salvation and good works both have their primary cause in grace.
We both agree that salvation is by grace through faith. But, Where are you getting the assertion that salvation causes good works necessarily? In order for a believer to grow and mature, which results in good works, the believer must cooperate with the Holy Spirit. Good works aren't a necessary byproduct of salvation. Otherwise as SoCal has already pointed out, there would be no need for James to instruct Christians on how to be a good disciple.
Your conclusion and that of SoCal would be valid...
...if...
works being a byproduct meant sinless perfection was a byproduct of salvation.

No one is saying that sinless perfection is a byproduct of salvation.
That is what the process of sanctification is all about.
When we are saved we don't become sinless and perfect. We need to grow in Christ and that is why Scripture instructs on how to become more like our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

In Christ
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

DBowling wrote:
SoCalExile wrote:My points are being ignored, but I'll make them anyway.

Ephesians 2:10 does not guarantee good works , to say so, again, contradicts Romans 4:5 and Romans 11:6. What Paul must be saying is that there is no room to boast, because you and any works you manage to do aren't your own either; they were laid out by God; who btw, knows aready where we will succeed or fail and yet His grace is still free, and not a loan.
Ephesians 2:10 specifically states that we are saved by grace through faith to do good works.

I haven't ignored your point. In fact I have already responded to your assertion that Romans 4:5 contradicts the position that the result of genuine faith is good works.
Again Romans 4:5 and Romans 11:6 are speaking to the enabler or cause of salvation not the results of salvation.
Not acknowledging (or possibly simply ignoring) the difference between being the cause of something and being the effect of something appears to be one of the reasons you continue to misapply Romans 4:5 and Romans 11:6 in this discussion.

In Christ
Umm Romans 4:5 says we are saved without works, that means before or after. Abraham was never saved by works, notice the word "if" in the verse.

Romans 11:6 says grace and works are mutually exclusive. That means before AND after. If we are given eternal life by grace, that means it's by grace before and after.

Take Judas, he had enough evidence that no one suspected he would betray Jesus. Yet he never believed according to John! That means people were deceived by the evidence.

Take Samson, who for 20 years fornicated with prostitutes and heaten and his last dying act was to get vengeance on His enemies. Where was his evidence? Yet Hebrews 11 says he was saved by faith.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Can someone explain how according to LS:

1) if good works is the fruit and proof that someone is saved

And

2) no good works is the proof and indicator that someone isn't saved

Then how is good works not necessary for salvation?

And what about when the fruit inspectors look at a committed Mormon's life? Or Ghandi? Both full of good works, but lacking faith in the Christ that saves. They both pass the fruit inspector's inspection.

-Edward R Murrow