Next Sermon on Prayer.

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Next Sermon on Prayer.

Post by Silvertusk »

Hello everyone.

My next sermon I have been asked to do is on Prayer (I always get the easy ones......;-))

Basically it is because to be honest I am not very good at it. I am doing my research and am reading some books - but I was wondering about what your thoughts are on it? Basically I will be approaching it from mainly an apologetic angle and will considering questions like:

1) If God knows what you want, why pray about it.
2) If God only works according to his will, why pray to change his mind? Does he change his mind? (case of Abraham and Sodom for instance, Moses and the Israelites)
3) The Bible says ask and you will receive - yet why is this often not the case?
4) How do you reconcile unanswered prayer? How do you comfort someone who has had tragic lost because of unanswered prayer?
5) Have people had any answer to prayer? How do you know it was from God?
6) How do you best approach prayer?
7) Why does prayer often seem a one sided conversation?
8) Why does the answering of prayers seem at times random, which kind of makes these circumstances either seem like coincidences or the whole prayer thing arbitrary?

There are probably more questions in there somewhere but that will do for now. Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless

Silvertusk.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Re: Next Sermon on Prayer.

Post by Nessa »

Silvertusk wrote:Hello everyone.

My next sermon I have been asked to do is on Prayer (I always get the easy ones......;-))

Basically it is because to be honest I am not very good at it. I am doing my research and am reading some books - but I was wondering about what your thoughts are on it? Basically I will be approaching it from mainly an apologetic angle and will considering questions like:

2) If God only works according to his will, why pray to change his mind? Does he change his mind? (case of Abraham and Sodom for instance, Moses and the Israelites)
3) The Bible says ask and you will receive - yet why is this often not the case?
4) How do you reconcile unanswered prayer? How do you comfort someone who has had tragic lost because of unanswered prayer?
8) Why does the answering of prayers seem at times random, which kind of makes these circumstances either seem like coincidences or the whole prayer thing arbitrary?

There are probably more questions in there somewhere but that will do for now. Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless

Silvertusk.
Hey there,

Well, prayer is one of my biggest struggles.

And it is purely emotional.

My question is this: Does it matter to God if I pray?
Im not asking if it will make a difference in the outcome of the circumstance but whether it makes a personal difference to God himself. How does he feel about the fact I dont pray?

I need to know it matters to him. Not just because I am an instrument in accomplishing his will but just simply because he wants to hear me. And Im not entirely sure I believe he does.

Why do you yourself find prayer hard, Silvertusk?
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Thanks for the reply Nessa.

I have posed that question as well - what does it matter to God? And that one should be up there as well.

I find it difficult to pray sometimes for a few reasons. Sometimes because I am effectively speaking to an invisible being. Other times I literally do not know what to say - and when I do say something it seems contrite and inadequate. Other times because I know sin has not put me in a right place with God. But I think fear is another factor - fear of not getting an answer and how that will affect my faith. It sounds pretty stupid - but sometimes i feel that if I don't ask then I will not be disappointed.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Silvertusk wrote:Thanks for the reply Nessa.

I have posed that question as well - what does it matter to God? And that one should be up there as well.

I find it difficult to pray sometimes for a few reasons. Sometimes because I am effectively speaking to an invisible being. Other times I literally do not know what to say - and when I do say something it seems contrite and inadequate. Other times because I know sin has not put me in a right place with God. But I think fear is another factor - fear of not getting an answer and how that will affect my faith. It sounds pretty stupid - but sometimes i feel that if I don't ask then I will not be disappointed.
It sounds like you are the perfect person to do the sermon cos you know you dont have all the answers and you struggle. I would much rather listen to a sermon coming from that place than '10 simple steps to praying better'

I really know what you mean about the disappointment factor. Cos if you ask and it doesnt happen, then you are faced with why? Did you lack faith? Does God not care? Was he even listening? Did you prayer the 'wrong way'? Wrong motives? And like you say, not wanting it to affect our own faith.

Just trying to be yourself and being honest is not that easy. We are often very good at wearing masks and they dont just automatically drop off when we go to God. We can find they have become so bonded to our skin that to remove them is just too painful :( There is going to be rawness and its just much easier leaving the mask on.

I often think if God was infront of me in the flesh, it would all be so much easier to pray. But I think thats a lie. I think its easy to think the invisibility factor makes it hard but does it really? If you have a close trusted friend, its really no harder to talk on the phone than face to face. What may seem like an invisibility issue may be more of a heart issue. And unbelief.

I wish I could hear some of king David's prayers. The tone and the intensity. But even then, we must carve out our own prayer life. Though seeing a glimpse of someone else's may give insight.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Also, I find the word 'praying' off putting. It sounds so unnatural to me. Something you force and do on demand. And I cant just do it on demand without giving a 'performance'
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Some great comments and thoughts there Nessa - thank you. I especially like the mask analogy.

I will certainly be using the Psalms a lot in my sermon - And you are absolutely right about the tone of them - wouldn't it be good to hear them raw as they were intended.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

You know I think also it comes down to authenticity - God has created a longing and desire within us to experience a real and authentic relationship with himself. And while adam and eve walked freely 'naked' in the garden talking with God, we have lost that. Nowadays, we may no longer be hiding ourselves behind bushes, but we are hiding ourselves behind those masks. And God wants us to walk again with him 'exposed and vulnerable". Also to be like that with others. And we are not sure how. Maybe the whole christian church nudist thing I posted is a vain attempt to try to reclaim that once lost freedom but in the wrong way.
Last edited by Nessa on Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Some very useful insights - Thank you v much Nessa. Hope you don't mind but I will borrow some of this for my sermon
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

An extremely brief summary is that we pray to align our thoughts and deeds to God's will, not the other way around. In other words we pray that the change occurs in us.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Silver,

Prayer is a large topic.

There are several ways to pray...

Intercession ie arbitration

Request

Needs

Worship

General conservation - fellowship

Spiritual warfare

General conversation - getting to know God

Promises - releasing these, petition for

Experiencing closeness to God's presence

John 20:22-23 - release, unbind, loose, deliver, set free from sins or the retaining of these (Note whom Paul prayed about in 1 and 2 Corinthians regarding someone trapped in sin as example of this)

Praying in the Spirit and with understanding...

Asking for God's Wisdom for the day and times

Discernment

Silver these are few bullet point reasons why we pray. It is a shame that folks are not taught about prayer or how too very much anymore so that prayer becomes boring and stopped by philosophic reasoning that borderlines on old puritanism predestination concerning - why bother to pray - God knows all.

Here is something else to consider. The gospel accounts mention that if we love/care about/know the Lord we should do what he tells us to do. One of the things he tells us is to pray. In the Lords Prayer are listed bullet points subject lines about the different ways one prays.

For the others...

Maybe we should start a thread here on Why Pray?

Let me know if that sounds good?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

I think it sounds great, if it's ok. I'm most interested, and may be able to contribute.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Silvertusk wrote:Some very useful insights - Thank you v much Nessa. Hope you don't mind but I will borrow some of this for my sermon
Im actually touched that you.would do that :esmile:
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

Nessa wrote:

God Bless

Silvertusk.
Hey there,

Well, prayer is one of my biggest struggles.

And it is purely emotional.

My question is this: Does it matter to God if I pray?
Im not asking if it will make a difference in the outcome of the circumstance but whether it makes a personal difference to God himself. How does he feel about the fact I dont pray?

I need to know it matters to him. Not just because I am an instrument in accomplishing his will but just simply because he wants to hear me. And Im not entirely sure I believe he does.

Why do you yourself find prayer hard, Silvertusk?
Of course He wants to hear you nessa, He loves you. Of course it matters. Maybe He needs to hear how you love Him.

Personally, I rarely pray out loud, I don't think God has a problem deciphering thoughts from prayer.
I think each of us has a personal relationship with God and our own way of praying, of communicating with God. I pray when I write, kinda like my writings are a prayer sometimes.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

1) If God knows what you want, why pray about it.To perhaps figure out if you really, really want it, need it or just desire it.
2) If God only works according to his will, why pray to change his mind? Does he change his mind? (case of Abraham and Sodom for instance, Moses and the Israelites)Never really considered this, is now on my ponder list.
3) The Bible says ask and you will receive - yet why is this often not the case?Because not everything we ask for is ours to ask for. We may not need it or having it could be detrimental.
4) How do you reconcile unanswered prayer? How do you comfort someone who has had tragic lost because of unanswered prayer?After each miscarraige I pleaded with God not to put me through it again, to bless me with a child. Now, I realise that He didn't put me through it, He got me through it, and sometimes our prayers are answered in less obvious ways.
5) Have people had any answer to prayer? How do you know it was from God?Yes. I now have a daughter. God has pulled me through so much. How do I know it was an answer from Him? I don't, I just believe it is.
6) How do you best approach prayer?Whenever, wherever I am I chat to Him all the time and thank Him each morning and night.
7) Why does prayer often seem a one sided conversation?It doesn't to me.
8) Why does the answering of prayers seem at times random, which kind of makes these circumstances either seem like coincidences or the whole prayer thing arbitrary? Every prayer that I have really, really meant has been answered in some way.

God Bless

Silvertusk.
It's actually kinda hard to differentiate between prayer and just kinda chatting to Him. He is in my thoughts pretty much all the time. I do get answers, not verbally, but kinda like just a feeling. Or, I'll think of something about what I believe, what I've been pondering and I just get this picture, or inspiration to write.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

B. W. wrote:Silver,

Prayer is a large topic.

There are several ways to pray...

Intercession ie arbitration

Request

Needs

Worship

General conservation - fellowship

Spiritual warfare

General conversation - getting to know God

Promises - releasing these, petition for

Experiencing closeness to God's presence

John 20:22-23 - release, unbind, loose, deliver, set free from sins or the retaining of these (Note whom Paul prayed about in 1 and 2 Corinthians regarding someone trapped in sin as example of this)

Praying in the Spirit and with understanding...

Asking for God's Wisdom for the day and times

Discernment

Silver these are few bullet point reasons why we pray. It is a shame that folks are not taught about prayer or how too very much anymore so that prayer becomes boring and stopped by philosophic reasoning that borderlines on old puritanism predestination concerning - why bother to pray - God knows all.

Here is something else to consider. The gospel accounts mention that if we love/care about/know the Lord we should do what he tells us to do. One of the things he tells us is to pray. In the Lords Prayer are listed bullet points subject lines about the different ways one prays.

For the others...

Maybe we should start a thread here on Why Pray?

Let me know if that sounds good?
-
-
-
Sounds great to me.