Manna

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Manna

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

The "you" addressed in my post was meant towards the generic anyone, everyone.... you cannot, I cannot .. we cannot commit your / our faith (s) to promote hope and trust in lies. The only ones it does not include are those with no faith. You cannot commit what you do not have. I've said this numerous times and ways over the life of this thread. I find it curious you think it's all about you, and only you, when your among the first who'll proclaim it's just a fabricated story.

Hope the paralysis passes.
it did, back on the 25th. Your the only one holding on to it... y#-o
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
stuartcr
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by stuartcr »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:The "you" addressed in my post was meant towards the generic anyone, everyone.... you cannot, I cannot .. we cannot commit your / our faith (s) to promote hope and trust in lies. The only ones it does not include are those with no faith. You cannot commit what you do not have. I've said this numerous times and ways over the life of this thread. I find it curious you think it's all about you, and only you, when your among the first who'll proclaim it's just a fabricated story.

Hope the paralysis passes.
it did, back on the 25th. Your the only one holding on to it... y#-o
I'm glad you find it curious that you believe it's all about me.

Why would anyone need to commit? God knows what is in our hearts.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Why would anyone need to commit?
name one personal relationship you've ever had that didn't require it.

God knows what is in our hearts.
God knows everything. As I've said before... it's your life to live whether He knows what's in your heart or not. Him knowing everyone's outcome hasn't stopped one person from living their lives as they wish.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:Why would anyone need to commit?
name one personal relationship you've ever had that didn't require it.

God knows what is in our hearts.
God knows everything. As I've said before... it's your life to live whether He knows what's in your heart or not. Him knowing everyone's outcome hasn't stopped one person from living their lives as they wish.
I don't think a relationship with God is the same as a personal relationship between 2 humans.

I believe we live the life that God knows we will live.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

I don't think a relationship with God is the same as a personal relationship between 2 humans

So you don't think a commitment to faith in God is a precursor to having a personal relationship with Him ?

Hebrews 11:6  But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

<sigh> Obviously true, but what does Him knowing that, have to do with an individual's decision to a committed personal faith ? It's our choice to live (a) the life that God knows we will live.

Again, God knows everything. As I've said before... it's your life to live whether He knows what's in your heart or not. Him knowing everyone's outcome hasn't stopped one person from living their lives as they wish.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:I don't think a relationship with God is the same as a personal relationship between 2 humans

So you don't think a commitment to faith in God is a precursor to having a personal relationship with Him ?

Hebrews 11:6  But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

<sigh> Obviously true, but what does Him knowing that, have to do with an individual's decision to a committed personal faith ? It's our choice to live (a) the life that God knows we will live.

Again, God knows everything. As I've said before... it's your life to live whether He knows what's in your heart or not. Him knowing everyone's outcome hasn't stopped one person from living their lives as they wish.
I believe any relationship with God, is between that person and God. No, I do not believe a commitment to faith in God is a precursor to having a personal relationship with Him. Some people feel the need to have a commitment/relationship, some don't.

How do you know that Him knowing everyone's outcome hasn't stopped one person from living their lives as they wish?

I do not believe it is our choice...it is the way we are.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

It is not our choice? It is the way we are?
You mean the need to have relationship?
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

stuartcr wrote:
EssentialSacrifice wrote:I don't think a relationship with God is the same as a personal relationship between 2 humans

I believe any relationship with God, is between that person and God. No, I do not believe a commitment to faith in God is a precursor to having a personal relationship with Him. Some people feel the need to have a commitment/relationship, some don't.

How do you know that Him knowing everyone's outcome hasn't stopped one person from living their lives as they wish?

To have a relationship with God, that is personal as you stated between an individual and God in of itself a commitment of faith?
To firstly believe in the existence of God and then to believe that it is indeed personal.
How can a personal relationship develop without a degree of faith?
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

I believe any relationship with God, is between that person and God. Well, yeah, who else could it be if it's a personal relationship ?

No, I do not believe a commitment to faith in God is a precursor to having a personal relationship with Him. This is certainly the right answer for someone who cannot or will not define their god.

Some people of God feel the need to have a commitment/relationship, some you don't.

How do you know that Him knowing everyone's outcome hasn't stopped one person from living their lives as they wish? ... free will ? y/:]

I do not believe it is our choice... illusion of free will ... ? :shakehead: it is the way we are. ... Fate alone... ? :shakehead:
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

1over137 wrote:It is not our choice? It is the way we are?
You mean the need to have relationship?
No, the choice to live (a) the life that God knows we will live.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

melanie wrote:
stuartcr wrote:

To have a relationship with God, that is personal as you stated between an individual and God in of itself a commitment of faith?
To firstly believe in the existence of God and then to believe that it is indeed personal.
How can a personal relationship develop without a degree of faith?
If there is a degree of faith, then I do not believe it is a conscious act. I think, if there is a degree of faith, then it comes automatically with the relationship. This get complicated, because I do not know what you consider to be;
1-a personal relationship with God
2-a commitment of faith

If you would define those two, then perhaps I can give you an answer you can understand.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:I believe any relationship with God, is between that person and God. Well, yeah, who else could it be if it's a personal relationship ?

No, I do not believe a commitment to faith in God is a precursor to having a personal relationship with Him. This is certainly the right answer for someone who cannot or will not define their god.

Some people of God feel the need to have a commitment/relationship, some you don't.

How do you know that Him knowing everyone's outcome hasn't stopped one person from living their lives as they wish? ... free will ? y/:]

I do not believe it is our choice... illusion of free will ... ? :shakehead: it is the way we are. ... Fate alone... ? :shakehead:
Sorry I cannot define God. If I could, then I probably would define God for you.

How do you know you have free will? Do you have a time machine which would enable you to go back and see if you actually could have made a different decision? If not, then you do not really know if you could have made a different choice. I understand the concept of free will, it's necessary for us to believe in it, because otherwise, we wouldn't be able to function as a society.

Please don't 'shakehead' too much, you could get a headache.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Sorry I cannot define God. If I could, then I probably would define God for you.
Honestly, as I've already said, apologies are not necessary. My comment, using your inability to define your god was more a statement of fact, not requiring response. You can't define what you can't define, whether you probably would or not.

How do you know you have free will? How do you know we don't ? Do you have a time machine which would enable you to go back and see if you actually could have made a different decision? Why would I need a time machine ? Why would I want to make a different decision ? How does the ability to decide for yourself in any way inhibit whatever choice you make at the time you make it ? If not, then you do not really know if you could have made a different choice. Again, why would I want to make a different decision ? I understand the concept of free will, You do ? it's necessary for us to believe in it, It is ? because otherwise, we wouldn't be able to function as a society. So your first thought in regards to free will is societal functionability, and not your personal ability to functionally perceive ?

Please don't 'shakehead' too much, you could get a headache. Thank you for your concern, if we had a “shrugs shoulders” smiley, those would have been my first choice. Free will, suppressed by product unavailability, resorting to the next best choice. It's good you were here and noticed, and, in this instance, I'm glad I don't have a time machine to get a “do-over” … God only knows what I may choose next !

I'll attach as much importance to it as I can muster.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:Sorry I cannot define God. If I could, then I probably would define God for you.
Honestly, as I've already said, apologies are not necessary. My comment, using your inability to define your god was more a statement of fact, not requiring response. You can't define what you can't define, whether you probably would or not.

How do you know you have free will? How do you know we don't ? Do you have a time machine which would enable you to go back and see if you actually could have made a different decision? Why would I need a time machine ? Why would I want to make a different decision ? How does the ability to decide for yourself in any way inhibit whatever choice you make at the time you make it ? If not, then you do not really know if you could have made a different choice. Again, why would I want to make a different decision ? I understand the concept of free will, You do ? it's necessary for us to believe in it, It is ? because otherwise, we wouldn't be able to function as a society. So your first thought in regards to free will is societal functionability, and not your personal ability to functionally perceive ?

Please don't 'shakehead' too much, you could get a headache. Thank you for your concern, if we had a “shrugs shoulders” smiley, those would have been my first choice. Free will, suppressed by product unavailability, resorting to the next best choice. It's good you were here and noticed, and, in this instance, I'm glad I don't have a time machine to get a “do-over” … God only knows what I may choose next !

I'll attach as much importance to it as I can muster.
Am I supposed to answer anything?

By the way, how are those definitions I asked you for coming along?
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Am I supposed to answer anything?
anything you wish anything you will ... freely.

By the way, how are those definitions I asked you for coming along? ... ?