Still want to drink Pepsi now?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Still want to drink Pepsi now?

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote:
RickD wrote:
neo-x wrote:The snopes article pretty well shreds away the idea what the article seems to suggest. Ironically, I am drinking pepsi while writing this post.
It does?

Then you must've read a different snopes article. Because the snopes article I read does nothing to disprove the other article's premise. The snopes article I read, just tries to justify it by saying it happened 35 years ago, and there's no aborted fetuses in the products.

Enjoy your Pepsi, knowing it was flavored with lots of love!

And btw, is snopes known as a bastion of fairness?
The cells, called HEK 293 cells (that stands for human embryonic kidney) were taken from an aborted fetus in the 1970s in the Netherlands. Bits of chopped up DNA from the adenovirus, a virus that causes a pretty severe cold. The kidney cells were forced to take up bits of DNA using a technique invented in 1973 that used a calcium solution. The resulting cells don't act much like human cells at all, but they are very easy to work with and have become workhorses of cellular biology. That's why they're used in the development of drugs and vaccines. No new fetal tissue has been used to keep the cell culture going; the use of this cell line isn't leading to new abortions.
neither Pepsi nor any other U.S. food company is actually manufacturing or selling any consumable products "that are actually made using the cell tissue of unborn babies that were murdered through abortion." What we're talking about here is a cell line derived from a single (healthy, aborted) fetus over forty years ago: claiming that current food products employing flavorings derived from research based on the HEK 293 cell line "are actually made using the cell tissue of unborn babies" is like saying that possessing a digitized image of a photocopy of a picture of a Beethoven manuscript is the same as "owning a document in Beethoven's own handwriting" — the original is not present in substance, only in a multi-generational, representational form.
If you comprehend the bold in the last line ( even if you leave the rest out), the rest doesn't matter actually. I'll put it to you in another analogy. You are right now carrying multi generational dna, passed from the first humans or lets say Adam and Eve, who existed 100,000 years ago or something like that, I am not sure which timeline you accept is right but whichever it is, lets say that is the time your dna is from. So give or take 50,000 years, how much of that part of DNA is true representation of your self. Not very much, infact it has hardly survived, mixed with many other dna's from different persons along your lineage. Then:

Will I be correct to assume that the person of Adam and you, physically speaking, the same? Ofcourse not, that person is dead and you carry part of his dna, a minuscule-atomic part at that, but your actions or attributes neither represent Adam nor the other way around. If we had the chance to put the two persons side by side, you and Adam would be worlds apart in personality, physique etc.

For instance, if someone murdered you, no one could claim your murderer actually killed Adam as well - since you carry his Dna in some form, would you agree?

A question, if those first cells had been taken from any dead body, or a living person, anything other than the aborted fetus, would your response be any different?
Of course my response would be different. Abortion is an abomination. And a particularly awful abomination, that kills the most vulnerable people. The ones that should be protected, not killed.
I'm rather surprised that you don't see the connection between what this company did, and profiting off of murdering the most innocent of our society.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote:
Enjoy your Pepsi, knowing it was flavored with lots of love!
Apart from the vague emotional appeal, this has no bearing in reality so not sure if the sarcasm works. To be honest if they were using aborted baby tissues I would not condone such a thing or eat it, but they are not. If you look at how muti-generational cells work you would see its of no concern to what you fear may be true.

EDIT: By the way I did finish my pepsi, chilled, and enjoyed it very much.
Neo,

The company DID use aborted baby tissue. That's what the whole issue is!!
Just because it's not a continuing usage of aborted babies, that doesn't justify it. Once is enough! Profiting off the murder of one innocent baby is wrong, isn't it? Surely you can see that?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote:I will put it another way, to make it more simple for the rest of the readers who may not be familiar with technical jargon.

Consider that my child died, we buried him, overtime his body returned to earth in organic form, nutrients, nitrogen etc etc mixed with soil, and there were crops sown on top of the grave, then when the harvest came, people cooked whatever was ripe and ate it. I put to you that is exactly how much guilty anyone should be for drinking pepsi.

You, me, we eat the same remains of many people who died or were aborted or were diseased; and animals whose life ends and is mixed back with organic matter from earth, should I be guilty now for eating anything organic, since almost everything organic grows this way?

Would you say you are eating people when you are eating a carrot or tomato or peas because they do contain essential organic material from dead people/animals etc?
You see, that concern of yours makes no sense.
So now you're comparing the eating of food, which is naturally grown in soil, with deliberately using tissue from a murdered baby?
You don't see the difference?

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Kurieuo wrote:Here's also another link: http://www.jillstanek.com/2012/04/facts ... ntroversy/
Incase it was missed in that article:
Bottom line: There are no aborted embryonic or fetal cells in any of PepsiCo’s final products. But: Aborted cells are used in the development of artificial flavor enhancers by biotech company Senomyx, with which PepsiCo signed a four-year, $30 million agreement in 2010 for research and development. No Pepsi products containing Senonymx flavor enhancers should be expected until 2013. Senomyx’s disputed cell line is HEK-293, derived from the kidney cells of an aborted baby. We could go into the weeds at this point, but Wikipedia offers an easy explanation: HEK stands for Human Embryonic Kidney cells. These cells, which were cloned, originally came from healthy, electively aborted human embryos. Using information from the human genome sequence, Senomyx has identified hundreds of taste receptors and currently owns 113 patents on their discoveries. - See more at: http://www.jillstanek.com/2012/04/facts ... V7ZBR.dpuf
So anyone drinking Pepsi, enjoy your poison but don't get made at those who bring truth into the light.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Here's also another link: http://www.jillstanek.com/2012/04/facts ... ntroversy/
Incase it was missed in that article:
Bottom line: There are no aborted embryonic or fetal cells in any of PepsiCo’s final products. But: Aborted cells are used in the development of artificial flavor enhancers by biotech company Senomyx, with which PepsiCo signed a four-year, $30 million agreement in 2010 for research and development. No Pepsi products containing Senonymx flavor enhancers should be expected until 2013. Senomyx’s disputed cell line is HEK-293, derived from the kidney cells of an aborted baby. We could go into the weeds at this point, but Wikipedia offers an easy explanation: HEK stands for Human Embryonic Kidney cells. These cells, which were cloned, originally came from healthy, electively aborted human embryos. Using information from the human genome sequence, Senomyx has identified hundreds of taste receptors and currently owns 113 patents on their discoveries. - See more at: http://www.jillstanek.com/2012/04/facts ... V7ZBR.dpuf
So anyone drinking Pepsi, enjoy your poison but don't get made at those who bring truth into the light.
Yes. Thanks K. I get a little testy when the subject of abortion comes up. And I'm a little more testy than usual, because I'm having caffeine withdrawals, from not drinking Pepsi. y@-)

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

It's sadly not just Pepsi, but rather now more Senomyx flavor enhancers that are sold as an MSG replacement.

They're being used across a wide array of products throughout many countries including my own. They're used products like chips (i.e., Doritos), coffee (Nescafe), noodles (Maggi), and the like.

So this is quite disgusting. And it pisses me off that one part of society always wants to try and make everyone else complicit on issues that would morally disturb many people.

My next thing from here is to get a list of all products. Here are some I found: http://www.sott.net/article/242726-Avoi ... etal-Cells
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:It's sadly not just Pepsi, but rather now more Senomyx flavor enhancers that are sold as an MSG replacement.

They're being used across a wide array of products throughout many countries including my own. They're used products like chips (i.e., Doritos), coffee (Nescafe), noodles (Maggi), and the like.

So this is quite disgusting. And it pisses me off that one part of society always wants to try and make everyone else complicit on issues that would morally disturb many people.

My next thing from here is to get a list of all products. Here are some I found: http://www.sott.net/article/242726-Avoi ... etal-Cells
Seeing that your link is a few years old, I wonder if any of those companies have updated their stance.

-Edward R Murrow