Woman as a priest?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Woman as a priest?

Post by 1over137 »

In my village, there are two churches. One is envangelical augsburg church. From my googling I learned there is a woman in a role of a priest.

My question is: Is this in accordance with the Bible? I do not think woman is to rule over man.
How do you view it? And would you visit such church?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Mazzy
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Woman as a priest?

Post by Mazzy »

1over137 wrote:In my village, there are two churches. One is envangelical augsburg church. From my googling I learned there is a woman in a role of a priest.

My question is: Is this in accordance with the Bible? I do not think woman is to rule over man.
A woman has served as a priest at the Anglican church I attend. Personally I feel a little uncomfortable about it.

However, there are many examples of women taking the lead in bible. eg Phoebe was a deacon. By referring to Phoebe as a prostatis, Paul solicits the attention and respect of the leaders in Rome's church, which also included other women, namely Prisca/(Priscilla)[Rom. 16:3], Mary[Rom. 16:6], Junia[Rom. 16:7], and Tryphena, Tryphosa, and Persis [16:12] .[3] (Wiki Phoebe)

"I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church in Cenchreae. I ask you to receive her in the Lord in a way worthy of his people and to give her any help she may need from you, for she has been the benefactor of many people, including me."
— Paul[Rom. 16:1-2]

Supporters of women's ordination may point to the role of notable female figures in the Bible such as Phoebe, Junia (considered an apostle by Paul) and others in Romans 16:1, the female disciples of Jesus, and the women at the crucifixion who were the first witnesses to the Resurrection of Christ, as supporting evidence of the importance of women as leaders in the Early Church. They may also rely on exegetical interpretations of scriptural language related to gender.[67][69][70] (Wiki - Ordination of Women)

Indeed a female being a priest is not akin to her 'ruling' over man. Paul himself referred to Junia as an apostle. If being given a role as a leader means 'ruling' above others then Paul stating Phoebe is a Deacon, means Paul has contradicted his own doctrine, not Gods.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Since a priest, like an apostle, was to SERVE and NOT rule, I don't see a problem with women being ordained at all.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:In my village, there are two churches. One is envangelical augsburg church. From my googling I learned there is a woman in a role of a priest.

Does this help Hana?
http://www.gotquestions.org/women-pastors.html

Or, if that's not direct enough, how about this?
http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/lo ... oleofw.htm

What do you think?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

PaulSacramento wrote:Since a priest, like an apostle, was to SERVE and NOT rule, I don't see a problem with women being ordained at all.
Paul,

Aren't priests spiritual leaders? And woman leading a man...
What about 1 Cor. 14 and 1 Tim. 2 from the links from Rick?

---

Rick,

I saw your first link some time ago. Yet, I wonder why are there women-priests?

---

Mazzy,

I wonder what Phoebe did as a deacon. Did she had sermons every Sunday?

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Mazzy
Valued Member

Post by Mazzy »

1over137 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Since a priest, like an apostle, was to SERVE and NOT rule, I don't see a problem with women being ordained at all.
Paul,

---

Rick,

---

Mazzy,

It doesn't matter what leading a man is. The point is Pheobe was a Deacon, meaning she was a leader in the congregation just like a priest.

As far a sermons go... They are not 'biblical'. There are no scriptures of sermons at the Christian gatherings before or after Christ in the bible that I am aware of. Jesus didn't even bless the bread before breaking it, He just gave thanks. There is no reason a women cannot give thanks. A women may like to defer to her husband or an elder male out of respect and to avoid contention, not because she HAS to.

It has taken me a good deal of thought to deal with the idea of female priests even though I am defending them. If they were not allowed many congregations would have no priest at all. Some Catholic priests have to cover many areas due to the lack of male priests.

The truth be knows I reckon priests as they are are now should go be they male or female. What a great idea!!!.. not being paid a stripend/pay for serving God, male or female. Many religions can take a page out of the JW beliefs on this point.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I know I'll probably be in the minority on this but I believe it is a doctrine of man and not of God claiming women cannot be priests or pastors of a church.From reading 1st Corinthians 12 and 14.

I once preached a message before in a church about the things Paul was trying to correct as this church had alot of problems.I think most read it without context of what Paul was addressing at the church of Corinth and it was women talking during the service interrupting the church service and Paul was telling them do not interrupt the church service,if you have a question about what is going on?wait until you are not in church to discuss it,talk to you husband about it at home.Read 1st Corinthian 14 from this perspective,just try it and you'll see what I mean.

Women were talking during the church service,who knows what about?but they were interrupting the church service talking.Paul did not tell them not to preach,teach,prophesy,etc in church. It is a doctrine of man and not of God to think women cannot be a pastor,teacher,etc in a church.

The church at Corinth had a lot of problems Paul was addressing in his letter.

It is important first to make sure you were called to do it from the Lord,this is a must,not everybody is called to be a priest or preacher and it is important to make sure it is your calling to do it.
Last edited by abelcainsbrother on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:
Paul,

---

Rick,

---

Mazzy,

Hana,
I would say there are women priests, simply because they don't think it's wrong.
I also would say that it is ok for women to be over other women.

And I realize this can be a touchy subject. A lot of people wrongly assume that because someone believes scripture is clear that a woman shouldn't be over a man, that it's some kind of male chauvinist thing.
Just let me add that I think this is an issue of headship. I'm am in no way saying that women can't witness to men.
Hana, Jac touched on the subject here:
https://cmmorrison.wordpress.com/?s=Wom ... mit=Search
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I'm personally hung up on the whole "priest" thing.
So whatever a church decides is to their own pleasing.

If Christ was the final and everlasting priest, then why do we need another to mediate between us and God?
Should we not go directly to Christ. Is Christ only accessible via a priest? Or via some church?

Isn't the role of the Holy Spirit to come to us, rather than have us go to God whether through someone or some place?
The Holy Spirit who was sent to the Apostles and us, to keep the truth alive and be with us forever. (John 14:16-17)
Each of us who are in Christ are the building. Christ is the cornerstone and God now dwells "within" us.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:
Paul,

The historical issues with 1 Timothy aside, it is clear by Paul other letters, in particular Romans, that Gentile women were apostles and if they were apostles, then they were spiritual leaders yes BUT being a spiritual leader and having authority over men are two VERY DIFFERENT things.

Again, Christ commanded His apostles to SERVE not to lead:

Matthew 20:

Jesus called them to Himself and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them. 26 It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, 27 and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The truth be knows I reckon priests as they are are now should go be they male or female. What a great idea!!!.. not being paid a stripend/pay for serving God, male or female. Many religions can take a page out of the JW beliefs on this point.
JW's? really?
You do realize that in the JW religion no woman can hold the position of elder much less overseer and that women are not even allowed to lead in prayer if a Baptized male is present and if they do lead in prayer they have to cover their heads with a cloth?

Is that the page you wanna take from them ??
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

It is important first to make sure you were called to do it from the Lord,this is a must,not everybody is called to be a priest or preacher and it is important to make sure it is your calling to do it.
This is actually a very good point, for both men and women.
Not all are suited to be teachers or clergy, even if they THEY think so.
I have know a few that were so bad that they actually turned people away from their religion.

Christ should be the template for how we should preach:
With love, compassion, firmness and always full of the HS.
We need to understand that we can't preach the same way to everyone and while some may need a firm "orthodox" hand, other require a loving, guiding "liberal" hand.
It takes a special gift from the HS for a person to be a teacher or a preacher (not the same thing).
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I just would like to connect to other Christians in my village. Not thinking about being a priest (not yet : ) )
I just do not want feel like something is not ok when I will visit that church.

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:I just would like to connect to other Christians in my village. Not thinking about being a priest (not yet : ) )
Hana,

How is their doctrine? Do they have a statement of beliefs that you can read? Most churches have a "What We Believe", either on their website, or on some literature.

-Edward R Murrow

1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote:
1over137 wrote:I just would like to connect to other Christians in my village. Not thinking about being a priest (not yet : ) )
Hana,

How is their doctrine? Do they have a statement of beliefs that you can read? Most churches have a "What We Believe", either on their website, or on some literature.
I haven't read everything yet. What I read so far seemed ok.
I need to look into what augsburg profesion is in detail.

#foreverinmyheart