What scares the New Atheists

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: What scares the New Atheists

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audie wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Yeah Audie, you need to read better.
You said:
I know how to read. Im not hypersensitive. How about turn about is fair play? "Rarely do you meet an open and honest Christian." No dig there? Just stating the facts?
BUT I didn't writer that, I wrote:
Rarely do you read such and honest and open atheist.
See the difference?
READ not meet.
I have read the vast majority of atheist writings against religion and faith ( I can't see I have read all of course, no one can).
And I stand by my statement.
Ohhh, that so makes all the difference!

Here is the properly written counter statement:

"Rarely, yes, oh so very seldom it is that you read anything honest written by a Christian."

Does seeing that clarify things, seem equally fair?
Yes, it makes a difference.
And you are entitled to your opinion about Christian writers as well.
I would aks you WHO those writers were and why you felt that way and I would hope that, like my view on atheist writers, yours would be supported by facts and evidence and not just emotion.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audie wrote:Great. First the bigoted stereotype. Is it admitted, or taken back? No! The poster stands by his words.

Next, someone else hops in to say its the atheists' problem, and adds in some more to the pig pile.

What splendid "Christians" here.
I have warned you in the past to watch your condescending tone.
I don't see anyone here attacking you personally and yet, here you are, doing just that by this comment:
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Audie wrote:Great. First the bigoted stereotype. Is it admitted, or taken back? No! The poster stands by his words.

Next, someone else hops in to say its the atheists' problem, and adds in some more to the pig pile.

I have warned you in the past to watch your condescending tone.
I don't see anyone here attacking you personally and yet, here you are, doing just that by this comment:

I do not acccept the comment on the honestly of atheists as anything but a completely gratuitous swipe at the honesty of all atheists. Limiting it to atheist writers doesnt make it a bit better. We all write.

I dont accept the pig-pile as anything other than jumping on a chance to take another swipe.

I do not accept that there was any condescension in what I said, no more than there was sarcasm for which I was criticized, in an earlier comment that said exactly what I meant.

I dont accept without comment the many condescending things said to me, "young lady" being a recent one. I could go back and mine a whole lot more.

I dont accept false statements made about me from anyone. When people make things up and state them as fact, its the same as what in court they call perjury.

I dont accept the negative stereotyping of atheists as being representative of Christian values. My statement had nothing to do with condescension, it was a direct criticism of blatant hypocrisy.

I will accept that this is a debate forum, and that you have a different opinion.
I accept that you have your finger on a button with which you can threaten me when opinions differ.

I also accept the responsibility to be better than some of the examples set before me here.

I gave it some thought, and like all responsibilities, I take it seriously.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Audie wrote:I do not acccept the comment on the honestly of atheists as anything but a completely gratuitous swipe at the honesty of all atheists. Limiting it to atheist writers doesnt make it a bit better. We all write.I dont accept the pig-pile as anything other than jumping on a chance to take another swipe.I do not accept that there was any condescension in what I said, no more than there was sarcasm for which I was criticized, in an earlier comment that said exactly what I meant.I dont accept without comment the many condescending things said to me, "young lady" being a recent one. I could go back and mine a whole lot more. I dont accept false statements made about me from anyone. When people make things up and state them as fact, its the same as what in court they call perjury.I dont accept the negative stereotyping of atheists as being representative of Christian values. My statement had nothing to do with condescension, it was a direct criticism of blatant hypocrisy. I will accept that this is a debate forum, and that you have a different opinion.I accept that you have your finger on a button with which you can threaten me when opinions differ.I also accept the responsibility to be better than some of the examples set before me here. I gave it some thought, and like all responsibilities, I take it seriously.
Oaaaaaa! Ruvry rung rady vely angly :warmup:

Anonymous :bag:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Audie wrote:I do not acccept the comment on the honestly of atheists as anything but a completely gratuitous swipe at the honesty of all atheists. Limiting it to atheist writers doesnt make it a bit better. We all write.I dont accept the pig-pile as anything other than jumping on a chance to take another swipe.I do not accept that there was any condescension in what I said, no more than there was sarcasm for which I was criticized, in an earlier comment that said exactly what I meant.I dont accept without comment the many condescending things said to me, "young lady" being a recent one. I could go back and mine a whole lot more. I dont accept false statements made about me from anyone. When people make things up and state them as fact, its the same as what in court they call perjury.I dont accept the negative stereotyping of atheists as being representative of Christian values. My statement had nothing to do with condescension, it was a direct criticism of blatant hypocrisy. I will accept that this is a debate forum, and that you have a different opinion.I accept that you have your finger on a button with which you can threaten me when opinions differ.I also accept the responsibility to be better than some of the examples set before me here. I gave it some thought, and like all responsibilities, I take it seriously.
Oaaaaaa! Ruvry rung rady vely angly :warmup:

Anonymous :bag:
49 kg of fightin' chinkette at your service, sir!
1over137
Technical Admin
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Audie wrote: I will accept that this is a debate forum, and that you have a different opinion.
I accept that you have your finger on a button with which you can threaten me when opinions differ.
While it is true that we moderators have some extra buttons we can click on, we have no desire to threaten anyone when opinions differ. We are moderators. We moderate. Not threaten.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Audie wrote:49 kg of fightin' chinkette at your service, sir!
49Kg ??? wow! you're a wee little thing!

I would also like to lodge an official complaint regarding the disgusting racist term "chinkette". It upset me greatly and has caused great mental anguish. I've also had trouble keeping my breakfast down. Please refer to "chinkette" as The C word in the future.

FL y:O2
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Audie wrote:49 kg of fightin' chinkette at your service, sir!
49Kg ??? wow! you're a wee little thing!

I would also like to lodge an official complaint regarding the disgusting racist term "chinkette". It upset me greatly and has caused great mental anguish. I've also had trouble keeping my breakfast down. Please refer to "chinkette" as The C word in the future.

FL y:O2
My bad. Subsequenrmente, I will self reference as "the C- thing".
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

1over137 wrote:
Audie wrote: I will accept that this is a debate forum, and that you have a different opinion.
While it is true that we moderators have some extra buttons we can click on, we have no desire to threaten anyone when opinions differ. We are moderators. We moderate. Not threaten.
Thanks 1/137, I misunderstood what he meant about warning me.
1over137
Technical Admin
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Thank you as well.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Audie wrote:My bad. Subsequenrmente, I will self reference as "the C- thing".
Here in Canada, we have C-things, N-things, W-things, FN-things. A lot of L-things came to this country in the 1990s, which is good because I speak their language. Personally, I am an F-thing but I also speak UK language. I may open a bank account at HSBC. Right now, I bank at BNP and BoA. When in Germany, I use the DB ATM.

FL :mrgreen:

+ + +

+ + +
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Audie wrote:My bad. Subsequenrmente, I will self reference as "the C- thing".
Here in Canada, we have C-things, N-things, W-things, FN-things. A lot of L-things came to this country in the 1990s, which is good because I speak their language. Personally, I am an F-thing but I also speak UK language. I may open a bank account at HSBC. Right now, I bank at BNP and BoA. When in Germany, I use the DB ATM.

FL :mrgreen:
I do some banking at HKSB.

American banks dont serm to much do acronyms.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I always find it humorous when Atheists take a dig at religion as the problem.
The fact is, the blights of religion are always mentioned.

I don't care where you fall on this issue
Fact is, if the religious movement of New Atheists (I think it an important distinction to be made) like Dawkins had their way, I fear Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc would all be rounded up.
I'm familiar with venom in people, and Dawkins has lots. Secular ideology is definitely not liberalising, but quite scary if you look at history. Truly bigoted.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:I always find it humorous when Atheists take a dig at religion as the problem.

Fact is, if the religious movement of New Atheists (I think it an important distinction to be made) like Dawkins had their way, I fear Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc would all be rounded up.
I'm familiar with venom in people, and Dawkins has lots. Secular ideology is definitely not liberalising, but quite scary if you look at history. Truly bigoted.
Looks as if you giving another example of religion being the problem.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:I always find it humorous when Atheists take a dig at religion as the problem.

Looks as if you giving another example of religion being the problem.
Reckon, of a secular variety.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)