Prayers for my father-in-law

Post all your prayer requests and responses here.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Prayers for my father-in-law

Post by Byblos »

He's been in ICU for almost a month after contracting a bad infection after routine surgery (stomach hernia). Last week we learned that the type of infection he has (KPC) is a very nasty strain that's extremely resistant to antibiotics. His immune system is shutting down and soon his vital organs will follow. All attempts with known antibiotics have failed. The only other option is with a class of drugs that have been banned for 50 years and that will surely shut down his kidneys for good, which means he will be on dialysis for the rest of his life. The thing is, he specifically stated in his will he does not wish to be on dialysis or a feeding tube. So here we are, a relatively healthy man in his late 60s goes in for routine surgery that will most likely kill him, barring any miracles. If it weren't sad enough, we also found out had they screened his lungs before surgery they would most likely have postponed it because as it turned he had pneumonia prior to the surgery.

My father died when I was 15 years old and this man has not only been my father-in-law but the only father I've known for almost 30 years. Although we didn't see eye-to-eye on theological issues (he teetered between atheism and agnosticism) he did accept Jesus some 15 years ago. I don't know how sincere he was, only he and God know that. What I do know is that this is one of those times that I hope, I wish, I pray that you guys (yes, I mean you Jac) are right, even though I do not consciously accept OSAS.

All that to desperately ask for your prayers, please. His name is Marty.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Prayers for my father-in-law

Post by RickD »

Wow Byblos, I feel for you. Within a 5 year period, I lost my dad, my mother in law, and my mom, so I can kinda understand what you're feeling. I'll be praying for him and your family.
y[-o<
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

You and your family are in my prayers.
Take comfort in knowing that GOD knows Us ALL and He KNOWS those that believe and those that don't and WHY they do and and don't.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

I will do pray, John. For Marty and for you.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Thank you all.

We just received word from the hospital that his condition has worsened and we're out of options. It is a matter of days, maybe even hours. Your continued prayers for a speedy resolution is much appreciated. He has suffered enough but may God's will be done.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Geez, it's horrible how quickly dire situations can happen.
It makes me so nervous at times now I have kids.

Prayed for you Byblos and Marty.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

John, any update on Marty?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Kurieuo wrote:John, any update on Marty?
Slight improvement yesterday after a downhill spiral for days. It might be good news if he's able to sustain it. But with a 1% chance of survival we'll take any slight improvement to be great news. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers folks, they are what keeps us going.

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

An update: Marty is awake and breathing on his own. Doctors are literally astounded. They can't explain it but of course they are reluctant to utter the M word. It truly is nothing short of a miracle. A short few weeks ago we had finalized his funeral arrangements. What is even a bigger miracle is what he said to me when I saw him yesterday, he said thanks for all the prayers, I guess they do work sometimes. That's coming from an avowed atheist.

Thought I'd share the good news with you on this day. Much to be thankful for always. Today especially. Thank you all.

1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Byblos wrote:An update: Marty is awake and breathing on his own. Doctors are literally astounded. They can't explain it but of course they are reluctant to utter the M word. It truly is nothing short of a miracle. A short few weeks ago we had finalized his funeral arrangements. What is even a bigger miracle is what he said to me when I saw him yesterday, he said thanks for all the prayers, I guess they do work sometimes. That's coming from an avowed atheist.

Thought I'd share the good news with you on this day. Much to be thankful for always. Today especially. Thank you all.
That is wonderful Byb.
1% chance and ...

Our Father is amazing.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Thanks John, very good to hear Marty's awake and even talking.
Let's pray he has a change of heart towards God now the issue is much closer to him.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

That's great news Byblos! Keep us posted please. :D
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

After a long battle, it really looked like Marty was going to make it but unfortunately he took a turn for the worse. Last week he was diagnosed with lymphoma. It was so sudden and so aggressive that he was left with lymph nodes triple the size and no course of action. Today we made the agonizing decision to transfer him to palliative care. It is a matter of days, maybe hours. Please keep him and us in your prayers that the Lord be merciful and end his suffering quickly.

Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

So sorry to hear that Byblos. I pray that Gods peace will be with you and your family through this difficult time.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Divine Mercy nightly for Marty until you say otherwise... so sorry Byblos... so very sorry ...
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine