Was Adam perfect?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Was Adam perfect?

Post by PaulSacramento »

Byblos wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:You seem surprised.
Very. I'm sure you have your reasons why you're saying that but it just sounds like something a deist would say.
I don't believe that God creates us individually like he did with Adam for example.
That He sustains creation, yes of course.
We are born of our mother and fathers, we are not directly created By God.
In other words I do NOT believe that God intervenes in the "creative" process that happens in the womb.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Jeremiah 1:5
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations."

Unless you're saying God stopped forming people in the womb at some point after Jeremiah. :lol:

Maybe evolution took over after the Old Testament. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:Jeremiah 1:5
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations."

Unless you're saying God stopped forming people in the womb at some point after Jeremiah. :lol:

Don't see "created you" in there...
Are you suggesting that every human in existence right now was an act of divine creation by God?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:<a class="rtBibleRef" href="http://biblia.com/bible/nasb95/Jeremiah%201.5" data-reference="Jeremiah 1.5" data-version="nasb95" data-purpose="bible-reference" target="_blank">Jeremiah 1:5</a>

Are you suggesting that every human in existence right now was an act of divine creation by God?
I'm only trying to show you that I think you're wrong when you said:
In other words I do NOT believe that God intervenes in the "creative" process that happens in the womb.
I think that Jeremiah 1:5 shows that God does indeed intervene in the "creative"(quotes yours) process that happens in the womb.

Don't you think if God forms someone in the womb, that He is involved in the "creative" process in the womb?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:<a class="rtBibleRef" href="http://biblia.com/bible/nasb95/Jeremiah%201.5" data-reference="Jeremiah 1.5" data-version="nasb95" data-purpose="bible-reference" target="_blank">Jeremiah 1:5</a>

I think that Jeremiah 1:5 shows that God does indeed intervene in the "creative"(quotes yours) process that happens in the womb.

Don't you think if God forms someone in the womb, that He is involved in the "creative" process in the womb?
I an not sure that the text means what you think it means...
That would imply that any birth defect or such was God's direct doing.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:
Byblos wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:You seem surprised.
Very. I'm sure you have your reasons why you're saying that but it just sounds like something a deist would say.
Or an evolutionist... :mrgreen:
I have no issue with evolution whatsoever and yet I would never utter anything like that.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

PaulSacramento wrote:

But you don't believe that either, as an evolutionist, that is.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Byblos wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

But you don't believe that either, as an evolutionist, that is.
No, I believe that breathes a living spirit into every human being BUT I don't believe that God creates every living being and that, outside of Christ of course, He has not divinely interfered in any procreational event since Adam and Eve.

Do you believe that God creates every single human life every born/conceived? I mean personally created them in the womb?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

I an not sure that the text means what you think it means...
That would imply that any birth defect or such was God's direct doing.
I think it means exactly what it says. That God formed Jeremiah in the womb. Which is an argument against what you said.

And no, I don't think it implies that any birth defect is God's direct doing.

From what you said, it seems like you're agreeing with the deist belief that God doesn't personally interact with His creation. I think that's what Byblos was saying.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

So from what you wrote here:
PaulS wrote:
God didn't make you any way at all, He didn't make you, you were born of your mother and father.
God stopped making people a LONG time ago.
You're saying God stopped making people a LONG time ago, in other words, after Jeremiah?

-Edward R Murrow

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

PaulSacramento wrote:He has not divinely interfered in any procreational event since Adam and Eve.
But why make an exception for Adam and Eve, since you're an evolutionist.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:He has not divinely interfered in any procreational event since Adam and Eve.
:popcornduo:

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think you guys are going off a bit.
God not getting directly involved in the conception process is a FAR CRY from stating that He doesn't get involved in His creation at all.
I believe that God created Adam and Eve directly ( and obviously differently) and that the moment that procreation came to be that God no longer DIRECTLY created human beings but that humans beget other humans.
I don't think that the language in Jeremiah states that God created Jeremiah in a divine way in his mothers womb, is that what you are implying?

Now it may be that certain people, like the prophets, that God has preordained for a special task ( like Jeremiah, Isaiah, Elijah, etc), He may have done something more, I really don't know BUT it kind of makes sense.
The thing is that you can NOT state that God created directly ( and divinely of course) every human being and still state that He has no control over birth defects and things of that nature.
How do you reconcile that?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Byblos wrote:
Because they were different, that I why they were in a garden IN Eden, a paradise on Earth.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Because they were different, that I why they were in a garden IN Eden, a paradise on Earth.
Paul, if you're an evolutionist then necessarily you believe Adam and Eve are no different biologically than you or me, right?