Necessity.

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Necessity.

Post by Silvertusk »

Just throw this one out there.

Is every human being necessary. I mean there is absolutely no way that we could not have existed individually as God ordained us from before creation. The fact that I exist is a necessary part of the universe because God planned it from the start.

Thoughts?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Necessity.

Post by Jac3510 »

No human being is necessary. We are all contingent. God could have decided not to create, for instance. Or He could have created a world in which I did not exist.

Now, given the fact that I exist, I am now necessary. But I am not necessary in myself. This goes to a distinction between something being necessary absolutely or by supposition. Something is necessary absolutely if it cannot fail to be what it is (it is necessary in this sense that all triangles have three sides, and that even if this world did not exist); something is necessary by supposition if it could be different but, in fact is not. The kind of world that exists and all its inhabitants is necessary only by supposition, not absolutely. (For Aquinas' argument, read this; your OP seems to have a lot in common with Objection 1.)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Jac3510 wrote:No human being is necessary. We are all contingent. God could have decided not to create, for instance. Or He could have created a world in which I did not exist.

Now, given the fact that I exist, I am now necessary. But I am not necessary in myself. This goes to a distinction between something being necessary absolutely or by supposition. Something is necessary absolutely if it cannot fail to be what it is (it is necessary in this sense that all triangles have three sides, and that even if this world did not exist); something is necessary by supposition if it could be different but, in fact is not. The kind of world that exists and all its inhabitants is necessary only by supposition, not absolutely. (For Aquinas' argument, read this; your OP seems to have a lot in common with Objection 1.)
Thanks Jac.
Objection 1. It seems that whatever God wills He wills necessarily. For everything eternal is necessary. But whatever God wills, He wills from eternity, for otherwise His will would be mutable. Therefore whatever He wills, He wills necessarily.
Seems to be what I am saying really. If God wills me to exist then he would have done so from eternity past as like it says he is immutable. I might be contigent - but I would still be necessary. And that makes each individual even more amazing and special.

Is that basically what you were saying?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Sure, the only thing you need to keep in mind is that God could have willed differently than He did. You are necessary by supposition, not absolutely. That is, you are necessary because God really did will you; had God not willed you, you would not be, meaning taht you are contingent on His will and only necessary by supposition.

Now, the fact that God did will you from eternity past, even though such was not necessary, certainy can be taken to highlight how special you are. After all, that just means that God chose you to exist. He didn't have to. That He did means, literally, He chose for you to exist. I have a hard time thinking of anything more profound than being chosen by God.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Jac3510 wrote:Sure, the only thing you need to keep in mind is that God could have willed differently than He did. You are necessary by supposition, not absolutely. That is, you are necessary because God really did will you; had God not willed you, you would not be, meaning taht you are contingent on His will and only necessary by supposition.

Now, the fact that God did will you from eternity past, even though such was not necessary, certainy can be taken to highlight how special you are. After all, that just means that God chose you to exist. He didn't have to. That He did means, literally, He chose for you to exist. I have a hard time thinking of anything more profound than being chosen by God.

Amen to that. Thank you for you responses Jac.

God Bless