Question about yalad

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Annonymus
Acquainted Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Question about yalad

Post by Annonymus »

I heard on Answers in Genesis that the word yalad can only mean a direct descendant (aka, someones son), saying that other words are used for grandchildren being born. I wanted to know if that was true or not? I know some people use Amram and Jochebed as examples, but then why does Genesis 15 say that the Hebrews will be in Egypt for only four generations? It seems to me that removes the possibility for telescoping. I know there's more proof in Chronicles that it is telescoped, but that just makes it even more confusing to me. If there is an example of yalad being used to refer to a descendant and not a son, can someone please show me?
PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Question about yalad

Post by PeteSinCA »

Well, you may be able to learn something about how that word is used with BibleStudyTools.com. Find the relevant passage in either the King James Version or New American Standard, turn on Strong's numbers, click on the particular word, and then get a list of every verse in which the word is used. BibleStudyTools.com has a lot of useful study features!
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts