Proof we are in the last days MORE EARTHQUAKES!

Discussions on Christian eschatology including different views pertaining to Jesus' second coming, rapture and tribulation, the millennium, and so forth.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Proof we are in the last days MORE EARTHQUAKES!

Post by 1over137 »

But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Male

Post by Stu »

Seraph wrote:And as the link I posted shows, the average number of earthquakes per year has NOT been increasing over time.
Well hang on, all that link says is that they are assuming that there were the same amount of earthquakes in the past as today.
How would they know there were more or less earthquakes in the past if they didn't have any seismograph stations to tell them so?
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Seraph
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Seraph »

Stu wrote:
Seraph wrote:And as the link I posted shows, the average number of earthquakes per year has NOT been increasing over time.
Well hang on, all that link says is that they are assuming that there were the same amount of earthquakes in the past as today.
How would they know there were more or less earthquakes in the past if they didn't have any seismograph stations to tell them so?
They're only saying thats why there might appear to have been less earthquakes in the past than in the present. There may have been more, there may have been less. Either way, that pretty much debunks using the apparent increase in earthquakes as a sign of the end times, because the apparent increase is due to something other than an actual stunning increase in earthquakes.

Saying "there *may* have been less earthquakes in the past, so thats proof of the end times" doesn't really hold up under scrutiny.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
crookedvulture
Familiar Member

Post by crookedvulture »

DRDS wrote:Fine, I'll go live in my bubble and you can go "back to sleep" be sure to take your "I :heart: Obama" plush teddy sheep to bed with you as you go!
Doesn't think the end times are coming; therefore loves Obama. Nice touch using 'sheep,' by the by.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

DRDS wrote:http://lamarzulli.wordpress.com/2014/02 ... -places-3/

IT'S TRUE, IT'S TRUE OH YEAH BABY, IT'S TRUE! YOU CAN'T DENY THESE STATS! TAKE THAT, MR. "ALL IS WELL" CROWD!
Actually they are on the rise and diverse places too - Atlanta GA recently - Washington DC a few years ago... and yes there is an increase...

Sometimes God judges a country and the folks inside the country blame the natural disasters on climate change and hide their collectivist heads in the sand... and say everything as it always was and been.

Major 1000 year floods in Colorado in the most liberal dominated areas in the state first then infecting the rest of the state, hmmm

High winds on the east and west coast - out of the blue - a few years ago... hmmm

Major catastrophic drought in southern CA - all in left dominated areas and what the liberals have wrought upon CA ...hmmm

Major storm hits the Northeastern states (Sandy) all Left leaning too and now Polar Vortex and lovely snow.... hmmm...

Its nothing folks - climate change - let''s use these to pass more leftist legislation and bullying!

We passed the point of sanity...

Deny it all you want... blame it all on just being the same as it was before.

I always wondered how the ancient Israelites could continue to sin midst God's judgments - now I undertand - nothing has changed
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Major rains and flooding, and even crippling snow in the south, when it's supposed to be the dry season. And the south is the Bible Belt. There goes your theory... :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Well, I am glad DRDS that you think I am fullfilling some kind of prophecy. You're words kind of startled me.

Even Paul wondered if christ was going to return in Paul's own lifetime...so I don't blame you, but I think that you are taking it quite ahead without much to back it up. I think you need good christian fellowship. People of faith who can give you a comfort zone, really I think that would help you. Remember Christ's words, we do not know the day nor the time...let that sink in please. Even Christ said only the father knew. Revelations for all that it is, is not even fully described...there are a couple of times within that book where the author is called to "not write" certain things and omit them...what are those things and how long is that period, we do not even know.

I put my faith in christ, whether he comes tommorow or 10000 years from now, I know I am with him, so I have no worries and I don't care when he comes. We should have faith in his promises!
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

And B.W., you have there also super volcano Saint Helen. It is her regular time to explode soon.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Hana, I love the smilie in your signature. :)
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

neo-x wrote:Hana, I love the smilie in your signature. :)
It's anti sadness smiley :D

#foreverinmyheart
PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by PeteSinCA »

This is just putting the article Seraph linked & quoted into other words, but ...

We really cannot compare modern earthquake frequency data to what we "knew" even as recently as a century or two ago. Modern instruments are far more sensitive and ubiquitous: we now get data for remote unpopulated and sparsely areas from which we did not (either for lack of observation or lack of communication); modern instruments record many, many earthquakes that are so minor that human observers don't notice them, even when awake and at rest.

To this, add the fact that communications and records technology and the subsistence culture of large parts of the world means that our knowledge of as recently as a century ago is very incomplete, and we don't know how great that gap really is.

Speaking personally: 1.) I am not denying that Jesus will return; 2.) I do not deny that Jesus might return tomorrow (or even before I finish typing this post, which might be tomorrow, :mrgreen: ). ALL I am saying is that we do not have the ~2000 years of knowledge necessary to say that recent earthquake data are or are not evidence that Jesus will be returning soon.

And I try hard not to think about whether the tone of the OP in this thread would incline or disincline a non-believer toward Christ.
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

PeteSinCA wrote:This is just putting the article Seraph linked & quoted into other words, but ...

We really cannot compare modern earthquake frequency data to what we "knew" even as recently as a century or two ago. Modern instruments are far more sensitive and ubiquitous: we now get data for remote unpopulated and sparsely areas from which we did not (either for lack of observation or lack of communication); modern instruments record many, many earthquakes that are so minor that human observers don't notice them, even when awake and at rest.

To this, add the fact that communications and records technology and the subsistence culture of large parts of the world means that our knowledge of as recently as a century ago is very incomplete, and we don't know how great that gap really is.

Speaking personally: 1.) I am not denying that Jesus will return; 2.) I do not deny that Jesus might return tomorrow (or even before I finish typing this post, which might be tomorrow, :mrgreen: ). ALL I am saying is that we do not have the ~2000 years of knowledge necessary to say that recent earthquake data are or are not evidence that Jesus will be returning soon.

And I try hard not to think about whether the tone of the OP in this thread would incline or disincline a non-believer toward Christ.
The Bible doesn't talk about frequency of earthquakes.
It talks about earthquakes in diverse places. It's about where they take place.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Yeah and have been taking place all through the 4 billion or 10000 years or 6000 years, which ever scenario you pick...so how does that matter now? Why now?

without.

Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

neo-x wrote:Yeah and have been taking place all through the 4 billion or 10000 years or 6000 years, which ever scenario you pick...so how does that matter now? Why now?
If the info was essentially worthless to us then why did Jesus give it to us?

We have the ability with modern technology to document earthquakes around the globe now.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Stu wrote:
neo-x wrote:Yeah and have been taking place all through the 4 billion or 10000 years or 6000 years, which ever scenario you pick...so how does that matter now? Why now?
If the info was essentially worthless to us then why did Jesus give it to us?

We have the ability with modern technology to document earthquakes around the globe now.
the info may not be worthless Our understanding of it is simply incomplete.

without.