Shame on Al Gore

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Shame on Al Gore

Post by Proinsias »

I think it's a step in the right direction. From my UK perspective some of the mainstream US media is verging on comedy in regards to Islamophobia. I've not checked the numbers but I suspect there's also a few muslims in the US and streaming Al Jazerra is a pain, it works much better on the TV.
Stygian
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Stygian »

No...there must be something else. Your reaction is way overboard, far in excess of what would be a reasonable rebuttal to my OP. You seem very emotional. Posting when angry is never a good idea.

How about telling us why you think it is good for Al-jazeera to be the new owner of CurrentTV?
I have no real opinion about Al-Jazeera being with CurrentTV, but the unfairness of your judgements against Al-Jazeera is what is bothering me. But what on Earth makes you imagine that I'm sitting here, slamming my keyboard in anger? even then, what point are you trying to make? I'd wager you're just trying to 'get to me' because you've nothing really to say.

You seem angrier than me, honestly. I've yet to hear a good point from anybody, by the way. I'll just wait here, I guess.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Proinsias wrote:I think it's a step in the right direction. From my UK perspective some of the mainstream US media is verging on comedy in regards to Islamophobia. I've not checked the numbers but I suspect there's also a few muslims in the US and streaming Al Jazerra is a pain, it works much better on the TV.
I'm closer to US media outlets than you are and I don't see any ''widespread'' Islamophobia. Nor do I see or hear any when I'm in the USA, which is often. I don't doubt that you get the impression that there is a lot of Islamophobia in US media, but that isn't the case. As Stygian pointed out, Americans are more concerned with Kim Kardashian's new dress...

In any case, xenophobia in any form isn't my point; these are the points I've been making:

1. Al-jazeera is an anti-West/-America/-Israel organization which has long been banned in the USA and which has managed to circumvent this by buying an established US network.
2. Al-jazeera/English speaks in a Western-friendly manner and Al-jazeera/Arabic is anti-Western-values and gives a voice to those who promote jihad in its most radical forms.

www.palwatch.org is an organization that documents Arab double-speak (one message for the West, the opposite message for the Muslim world.)

By chance, I heard this U.S. radio pastor talking about the CurrentTV story today. You can listen to his thoughts here:

www.fortressoffaith.org

FL y~o)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

In defense of Al Gore, I can understand why he did this. He didn't want to sell to Glenn Beck because Beck's religious and political beliefs are too different than his own. Beck is a narrow minded, conservative. Whereas Islam is a very open and tolerant religion. Islam wants all people to live together in peace. True Islam is very tolerant of other beliefs. For example, look at everywhere that Muslims have gone. They seem to adapt very well to the culture they're joining. Kudos to Al Gore for choosing a medium(Al-jazeera) that is honest, open, tolerant, and completely anti-propaganda. Whatever could go wrong when Islam, the religion of peace, takes control of a television station?

You narrow-minded, bigoted Christians should be ashamed of yourselves. :shakehead:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote:In defense of Al Gore, I can understand why he did this. He didn't want to sell to Glenn Beck because Beck's religious and political beliefs are to different than his own. Beck is a narrow minded, conservative. Whereas Islam is a very open and tolerant religion. Islam wants all people to live together in peace. True Islam is very tolerant of other beliefs. For example, look at everywhere that Muslims have gone. They seem to adapt very well to the culture they're joining. Kudos to Al Gore for choosing a medium(Al-jazeera) that is honest, open, tolerant, and completely anti-propaganda. What ever could go wrong when Islam, the religion of peace, takes control of a television station?

You narrow-minded, bigoted Christians should be ashamed of yourselves. :shakehead:
Rick... You need to buy a few copies of the Koran and read and study it yourself.. It is not a peaceful religion and is intolerant of other religions. The Muslim people have been greatly hurt by it's teachings. Women are greatly oppressed. It would do well for people not to follow it... But since we claim we are an open society.. No one cares anymore... Anything you say against it is automatically considered hate speech.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I guess my intended sarcasm was lost on you Gman. :shock:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote:I guess my intended sarcasm was lost on you Gman. :shock:
That is what is hard about reading you sometimes Rick... y#-o
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

We aren't going to just sit blindly and hug everyone that seeks to destroy the United States or Canada or Israel for that matter.
just by the way...no one is trying to destroy Canada. Canada has not bombed or warred with anyone in the last century. America is obvious enough, they have been warring arounf teh world for near a century now. The more they are engaged in world politics, the more enemies they have. You know history doesn't repeat itself but it rhymes pretty well. Right now America is fueling future anti-west terrorism head on, and you know what they say, what goes around...

You have already seen it happened when America created the Taliban. Don't be surprised when you see a new generation of younger militants trying to blow up places. I am not not saying that terrorism is now because of America solely, but American wars act as a big trigger of it.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gman wrote:
RickD wrote:I guess my intended sarcasm was lost on you Gman. :shock:
That is what is hard about reading you sometimes Rick... y#-o
Sorry G. I thought it was pretty obvious. Even for me. You must not be as perceptive in your old age. ;)

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Free speech either is or isn't.
And all the good and bad that comes with it.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:Free speech either is or isn't.
I don't think FL has an issue with free speech. I think his issue was with what he sees as Gore's poor judgement.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
I don't think FL has an issue with free speech. I think his issue was with what he sees as Gore's poor judgement.
AL Gore? Poor Judgment?
Surely you jest !!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
RickD wrote:
AL Gore? Poor Judgment?
Surely you jest !!
Paul, how could you? I never, repeat, never jest! y:o)

-Edward R Murrow

Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Speaking as one who lived in the US, I see regular evidence of anti-Arab, anti-Islamic prejudice. I recognize the extreme factions and the danger represented from that direction. Lumping them all together culturally and religiously isn't a valid approach. It's an easy one and there's plenty of people willing to do it and defend it, however.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=1700599
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Speaking as one who lived in the US, I see regular evidence of anti-Arab, anti-Islamic prejudice. I recognize the extreme factions and the danger represented from that direction. Lumping them all together culturally and religiously isn't a valid approach. It's an easy one and there's plenty of people willing to do it and defend it, however.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=1700599
Bart, in the light of history, don't you think anti-Islamic prejudice is understandable? Look at 9/11. Of all the people who attacked the U. S. that day, how many were radical Muslims, as opposed to radicals from another religion? Look at the lack of freedom and hypocrisy in Muslim countries under Sharia law. I think from my perspective, I see more of a healthy caution of Islam. Not at all, an anti-Arab prejudice. Where I live, there are plenty of backwoods rednecks who are prejudiced against pretty much everyone different. But overall, I really don't hear anything from day to day, in a derogatory tone against Muslims in general. maybe that's because I stopped watching FOX NEWS. :pound:

-Edward R Murrow