Joe Biden's Religion

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Joe Biden's Religion

Post by RickD »

For those of you who watched the vice-presidential debate, you might remember the "abortion" question. Of all the topics in the debate, this one stood out the most to me. Dennis Prager wrote an article about it here:
Joe Biden's religion: Catholicism or leftism

What do you think?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Joe Biden's Religion

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think the Catholic church makes it clear that catholic doctrine applies ONLY to catholics.
Joe is quite correct that he doesn't have the right to impose his religious beliefs on others.
Catholicisim is "liberal" in the sense that it advocates taking care of those that CAN'T take care of themselves, not WON'T or REFUSE but CAN'T.
The writer is also correct that Joe is picking and choosing which doctrines he believes in to impose ( or try to impose) on others.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Just a thought. I think Biden is being hypocritical in this instance. If he believes what Catholicism says about abortion, then he believes the issue is about killing innocent, unborn human beings. He doesn't want to "push" his beliefs that murder is wrong, on others? Or, he believes murdering the unborn is wrong, as his Catholic church teaches, but a woman's "right" to not be inconvenienced takes precedence over someone's life? Say it ain't so, Joe. :shakehead:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

PaulSacramento wrote:I think the Catholic church makes it clear that catholic doctrine applies ONLY to catholics.
I don't think so. Otherwise why bother evangelizing.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Byblos wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:I think the Catholic church makes it clear that [C]atholic doctrine applies ONLY to catholics.
Byblos is right! The Bible's message applies to all, saved & unsaved.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Byblos wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:I think the Catholic church makes it clear that catholic doctrine applies ONLY to catholics.
To convert to the catholic doctrine, yes?
Indeed, but we are discussing doctrine of an organized religion, not the bible's message.

Not all Christians subscribe to the doctrine of transubstantiation, right?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Byblos wrote:
To convert to the catholic doctrine, yes?
Indeed, but we are discussing doctrine of an organized religion, not the bible's message.

Not all Christians subscribe to the doctrine of transubstantiation, right?
What does any of this have to do with abortion and whether or not the Catholic message with respect to abortion is universal?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Joe is quite correct that he doesn't have the right to impose his religious beliefs on others.
Catholicisim is "liberal" in the sense that it advocates taking care of those that CAN'T take care of themselves, not WON'T or REFUSE but CAN'T.
The writer is also correct that Joe is picking and choosing which doctrines he believes in to impose ( or try to impose) on others.
A conservative ought to be trained to point out the problems with what Biden claims, which is a popular leftist argument.
Opposing abortion doesn't have to have anything to do with imposing one's religious beliefs on another. It has to do with personhood. If pro-life proponets didn't view the unborn as a human life, then there would be no argument, religious or otherwise. If someone were proposing euthenizing newborn babies with birth defects, would opposing this be imposing one's relgion on others? Hell no.

The fact is that Ryan looked like a goof and couldn't defend even some of the most basic conservative positions. The other fact is that Biden has submitted to a faulty argument to assuage what he knows to be morally reprehensible. People of faith do this all the time. It is a very easy cop out to say, "I don't think I should force my religion on anyone." Biden has personal values, and I assure you his personal values have manifested themself in the legislation he has supported over these many years.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

jlay wrote:
A conservative ought to be trained to point out the problems with what Biden claims, which is a popular leftist argument.
Opposing abortion doesn't have to have anything to do with imposing one's religious beliefs on another. It has to do with personhood. If pro-life proponets didn't view the unborn as a human life, then there would be no argument, religious or otherwise. If someone were proposing euthenizing newborn babies with birth defects, would opposing this be imposing one's relgion on others? Hell no.

The fact is that Ryan looked like a goof and couldn't defend even some of the most basic conservative positions. The other fact is that Biden has submitted to a faulty argument to assuage what he knows to be morally reprehensible. People of faith do this all the time. It is a very easy cop out to say, "I don't think I should force my religion on anyone." Biden has personal values, and I assure you his personal values have manifested themself in the legislation he has supported over these many years.

I agree, Biden was playing both sides.
Which Ryan should have pointed out.

My point is that :technically: Biden was correct - RC doctrine applies to RC only and no one should force their religious views on another ( all things being equal, which they never are), He is just not consistent because CERTAIN views he has no problem forcing on others.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulS wrote:
My point is that :technically: Biden was correct - RC doctrine applies to RC only and no one should force their religious views on another ( all things being equal, which they never are), He is just not consistent because CERTAIN views he has no problem forcing on others
Phooey! Balderdash, and Hogwash!!! The specific question was about abortion. Either an unborn human is a person with a right to life, or he/she isn't. It really has nothing to do with Catholicism being forced upon others. He can't stand for anything. Say it ain't so, Joe. Take a stand for something, don't play both sides.

-Edward R Murrow

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
My point is that :technically: Biden was correct - RC doctrine applies to RC only and no one should force their religious views on another ( all things being equal, which they never are), He is just not consistent because CERTAIN views he has no problem forcing on others
Phooey! Balderdash, and Hogwash!!! The specific question was about abortion. Either an unborn human is a person with a right to life, or he/she isn't. It really has nothing to do with Catholicism being forced upon others. He can't stand for anything. Say it ain't so, Joe. Take a stand for something, don't play both sides.
Yep, that's it.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
I think you are asking too much of Joe "stand up for Chuck" Biden.
Or any politician for that matter.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote:For those of you who watched the vice-presidential debate, you might remember the "abortion" question. Of all the topics in the debate, this one stood out the most to me. Dennis Prager wrote an article about it here:

What do you think?
I've always liked Prager. Every time I read his articles I think I like him even more. The guy is just smart.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bippy123 »

If Joe Biden is a Catholic then im a unitarian lol. He is all lip service. Abortion isnt only killing but its Murder. That guy is a pure leftist. Its funny how these pro choice people out there say that no can tell a woman what to do with her body, but that innocent life inside her is being slaughtered. He is a career politician and nothing more.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Gman wrote:
RickD wrote:For those of you who watched the vice-presidential debate, you might remember the "abortion" question. Of all the topics in the debate, this one stood out the most to me. Dennis Prager wrote an article about it here:

What do you think?
I've always liked Prager. Every time I read his articles I think I like him even more. The guy is just smart.
You only like Prager because he's Jewish. :pound:

-Edward R Murrow