World becoming increasingly atheist

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
dorkmaster
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

World becoming increasingly atheist

Post by dorkmaster »

I saw a news story today about how religion is dying out in countries like Sweden, Canada, New Zealand, among others. Why would this trend be happening given that christianity can stand strong against the "science" that attempts to disprove it?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: World becoming increasingly atheist

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Depends on how you define "religion". Institutional churches are indeed dying. In Canada, it's close to the point that the Anglican Church may cease to exist within a generation. Spirituality (again a broad term) outside of institutionalism is on the rise. However, atheism is increasing in most western countries as well. Just a fact. Not all atheists however are the militant "new" atheists.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Did you say the story said religion is dying out? Or, did it say that true Christianity is having less believers than before? Man-made religions are as good as garbage.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Telstra Robs
Established Member

The entire world?

Post by Telstra Robs »

In many nations, Christianity has experienced great growth and continues to do so. When Communism managed to gain full control of China around 1950, there were almost no Christians, and quite a few who were there were sent to prison, such as Watchman Nee. Now, there are an estimated 50 to 100million Christians in China (difficult to get numbers because most are house churches, there are 14 million registered in government controlled churches). That number is increasing. In Africa in 1900, there were an estimated 9 million Christians (not far from the Ethiopian population of 11 million at the time) while now they constitute roughly 40% of those in the African continent (around 400 million).
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

dorkmaster wrote:I saw a news story today about how religion is dying out in countries like Sweden, Canada, New Zealand, among others. Why would this trend be happening given that christianity can stand strong against the "science" that attempts to disprove it?
Yes it's this article..

Organized religion 'will be driven toward extinction' in 9 countries, experts predict.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/2 ... =allsearch

First of all what religion are they talking about since everyone is religious anyways.. Second, if they think it is Christianity they need to educate themselves on what the message of the gospel is.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

Personally, I don't think atheism is as strong as it seems, but on the Internet - it's the definitely the most popular religion.

Online message boards are flooded with atheists - this week they put up a picture of the atheist "A" as profile pictures on Facebook, I can't open a single discussion without coming across with hateful scoffers and pseudoskeptics bashing Christianity, using fallacious and recycled 'arguments', and of course, misinformation. Seriously, don't those people have a life?

One thing I don't understand though: If they believe this life is all there is, then why do they waste it in such a pathetic way? Whether a person is an "enlightened atheist" or a "Bible-thumper", ultimately it will make no difference in the atheist worldview. Why bother?
mandelduke
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by mandelduke »

It may be true that church attendance is down in western society, but I feel revival in my bones. More preachers are preaching the good news. As far as the rest of the world, people are being healed, raised from the dead, and the plan of salvation is being preached to the poor! PRASE GOD!
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Reactionary wrote:Personally, I don't think atheism is as strong as it seems, but on the Internet - it's the definitely the most popular religion.

Online message boards are flooded with atheists - this week they put up a picture of the atheist "A" as profile pictures on Facebook, I can't open a single discussion without coming across with hateful scoffers and pseudoskeptics bashing Christianity, using fallacious and recycled 'arguments', and of course, misinformation. Seriously, don't those people have a life?

One thing I don't understand though: If they believe this life is all there is, then why do they waste it in such a pathetic way? Whether a person is an "enlightened atheist" or a "Bible-thumper", ultimately it will make no difference in the atheist worldview. Why bother?
Exactly my experience, to the letter.

One guy I know (only on Facebook) has his entire quotes, books, inspirations, hobbies, and activities set to atheist-related things. "Don't they have a life?" indeed. The worst of it is that he is extremely aggressive. It isn't that he simply believes something. He makes sure you know you are inferior (I and others have been told this) just because of your beliefs. I've decided henceforth that by even acknowledging him enough to disagree, I've given him more attention than he deserves in the realm of intelligence. Doesn't mean I shouldn't pray for him... but I don't think saying anything is going to help someone who defines their life by their hatred for everything you stand for in blind rage.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
narnia4
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by narnia4 »

The western world seems to think that "the western world" is all there is. In African and Asian countries Christianity have been on a huge rise. European countries is another story, but some of those countries aren't doing so well population-wise either, growing Muslim populations as well.

Organized churches aren't doing well in Western countries, that's true... sometimes I don't feel as if that's a bad thing and maybe a purging process by God. I think that the "intellectual and philosophical revolution" among Christians that William Lane Craig and others often mention will take some time to effect the culture... but I feel it will effect the culture. I see "normal people" who aren't privy to the latest philosophical discussions and arguments fall for wordplay and false arguments that have by atheists that have, in fact, been answered long ago. It takes time for the great, relatively new arguments for Christianity to disseminate and actually effect the culture. There's already some good stuff out there, but I think there can be more to come.

But people have been predicting the death of religion for literally hundreds of years, and it hasn't happened and won't happen. I've read a few articles (wish I could find them) that suggest that spirituality is "on the table" in countries like France more so today than in the recent past. Even in the most secular countries, there is almost always a good percentage of theists... although one thing I have to remind myself is that it isn't "theist vs. atheist... a Muslim is equally lost, right? Even when you're talking atheists, there are a good number that are "quiet atheists" who may be more open to spirituality and discussion, it's the very vocal minority (the "new atheists") that are obsessed with Christianity. In secularized countries, I'm afraid that many people aren't necessarily vocal atheists, but haven't even considered serious questions about religion, spirituality, and Christianity.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Those are good points. The west isn't all there is and Christianity is growing most in the so-called 3rd world. Further the growth is moving outside the institution to more organic and simple church and I think that's positive.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Reactionary wrote:Personally, I don't think atheism is as strong as it seems, but on the Internet - it's the definitely the most popular religion.
I think the atheistic religion "claims" to have a scientific reason for it's belief system. The fact is when you study it, it fails miserably in almost all scientific categories.. It "might" be popular in other countries, but America won't fall to such nonsense..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

MarcusOfLycia wrote:One guy I know (only on Facebook) has his entire quotes, books, inspirations, hobbies, and activities set to atheist-related things. "Don't they have a life?" indeed. The worst of it is that he is extremely aggressive. It isn't that he simply believes something. He makes sure you know you are inferior (I and others have been told this) just because of your beliefs. I've decided henceforth that by even acknowledging him enough to disagree, I've given him more attention than he deserves in the realm of intelligence. Doesn't mean I shouldn't pray for him... but I don't think saying anything is going to help someone who defines their life by their hatred for everything you stand for in blind rage.

I know exactly what you're talking about - on Facebook you can recognize an atheist from a mile off: His "Philosophy/Religion" section is visible to everyone, so we can all admire the fact that he is an enlightened atheist who reads the God Delusion and offers a collection of inspirational quotes that contradict themselves in their ignorance. They usually dwell on discussion boards where they insult Christians, and when someone replies to their insults, they play victims and accuse us for "intolerance against minorities" and similar bigotry.

Why are they so angry, that's an interesting psychological and sociological question. A rational person has no reason to hate something that supposedly doesn't exist. I don't believe in astrology, for instance, so I have no reason to hate horoscope and people who read it. I just ignore it. If you ask them why they hate Christianity, they usually resort to the inquisition, crusades and corruption within the Catholic church. :roll:

Gman wrote:I think the atheistic religion "claims" to have a scientific reason for it's belief system. The fact is when you study it, it fails miserably in almost all scientific categories.. It "might" be popular in other countries, but America won't fall to such nonsense..
I agree, it's a total failure. I hope America will keep fighting it - I hear that you Americans are doing a good job - because here in Europe Christianity is in decline, at least it seems so to me. My country used to be 90-95% Christian, nowadays you can't publicly say you're a Christian without getting strange looks. It's like, "Seriously... you don't really believe in all that God stuff, do you?" Not to mention the fact that the country is practically ruled by gay associations, which press charges against anyone who even remotely mentions something negative against homosexuality. To be honest, I feel that freedom of speech and religion is being jeopardized over here, minorities have started to terrorize the majority, and tragically, many of my fellow Christians haven't yet recognized that. :esad:
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
Dan Rey
Newbie Member

Post by Dan Rey »

Same could be found on YouTube when it comes to religion. From what I've seen.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Its tough to say. It does seem that religion is least becoming far more subtle. And where it is not being subtle it is being pressured into doing so, at least in the west.
dorkmaster wrote:I saw a news story today about how religion is dying out in countries like Sweden, Canada, New Zealand, among others. Why would this trend be happening given that christianity can stand strong against the "science" that attempts to disprove it?

I don't think it's so much the case religion is dying in these countries as science is attempting to disprove it, more a move towards being very skeptical of anything science can't prove. A culture of doubt appearing in a culture of faith.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Taking the OP title in point - Has anyone also noticed that it is currently the New Athiest books that are currrently topping the best sellers lists - titles such as "God Delusion", "Grand Design", "God is not Great" etc.. I have to ask the question - why are people so hungry for books that bash Christianity and not for the Gospel? As that is the way it seems at the moment.

Silvertusk.