suiciders

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Kyle2012
Acquainted Member

suiciders

Post by Kyle2012 »

why does God condemn suiciders to Hell?

like... i dont see the point

like Judas, one of Jesus' apostles, he killed himself.... and he apparently went to hell.

like... cant you have a good christian do everything "by the book" for his whole life then just kill himself and not go to hell?
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: suiciders

Post by Byblos »

Kyle2012 wrote:why does God condemn suiciders to Hell?

like... i dont see the point

like Judas, one of Jesus' apostles, he killed himself.... and he apparently went to hell.

like... cant you have a good christian do everything "by the book" for his whole life then just kill himself and not go to hell?
Kyle,

Where does it say people who commit suicide go to hell? What I see is scripture speaking of people committing suicide or attempting to do so but nothing on their salvation status. Examples:
Judg 16:29-30 wrote:29 And Samson took hold of the two middle pillars upon which the house stood, and on which it was borne up, of the one with his right hand, and of the other with his left. 30 And Samson said, Let me die with the Philistines. And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lords, and upon all the people that were therein. So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life.
1 Sam 31:4-5 wrote:4 Then said Saul unto his armourbearer, Draw thy sword, and thrust me through therewith; lest these uncircumcised come and thrust me through, and abuse me. But his armourbearer would not; for he was sore afraid. Therefore Saul took a sword, and fell upon it. 5 And when his armourbearer saw that Saul was dead, he fell likewise upon his sword, and died with him.
If you're referring to the Commandment "Thou Shall Not Murder" then it depends on which doctrinal side you happen to fall but even at that, I don't believe there is much difference.

On the Protestant side, even though suicide is considered self-murder, it is treated like any other sin; though grave, it is covered by Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21).

On the Catholic side, suicide is considered a grave, mortal sin. Admittedly there is the possibility that a person who commits suicide might end up going to hell, but only if the act is borne out of a conscious effort to kill one's self, free of "Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture that can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide." (from the 1997 catechism). Let's face it, who has committed suicide and was free of any of those? In others words, unless the person is not 100% morally and consciously culpable, then suicide may not affect their salvation.

So far as I know, there is no scripture directly condemning 'suiciders' with eternal damnation.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Kyle2012
Acquainted Member

Post by Kyle2012 »

lots of info

i was always just brought up with that suiciders go to hell. probably because of the commandment.

from your last paragraph tho, you're trying to say that if they have just cause for suicide, like greif, ect. then that does not affect their salvation?

cuz like, many times in my life ive just wanted to quit, but then i was like darn.. i cant commit suicide cuz i'll go to hell :P
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Kyle2012 wrote:cuz like, many times in my life ive just wanted to quit, but then i was like darn.. i cant commit suicide cuz i'll go to hell :P
But then again, there's always that darn possibility, Kyle :wink:.

On a serious side, though, suicide is not a subject to be taken lightly (I'm not suggesting you're doing that, but in general). It should never be taken other than with the utmost of seriousness. IMO, it is an extreme act that far, far outweighs any suffering a person would endure. As long as a person is alive there's always hope that the suffering will end and one's life will change for the better. Suicide kills hope. It is also a selfish act as the people who end up suffering the most (at least in this realm) are the family and friends.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

I believe that Christians can become so desponent that they don't want to live anymore. There are several examples of this in the bible. The question is, is God's grace big enough to ensure that persons salvation? I think so. Just as he forgives any unconfessed sin unto death. What about the person who tells a lie and then gets hit by a truck before he confesses it. To me sin is sin.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
JCSx2
Valued Member

Post by JCSx2 »

Kyle2012 wrote:lots of info

i was always just brought up with that suiciders go to hell. probably because of the commandment.

from your last paragraph tho, you're trying to say that if they have just cause for suicide, like greif, ect. then that does not affect their salvation?

cuz like, many times in my life ive just wanted to quit, but then i was like darn.. i cant commit suicide cuz i'll go to hell :P

Life is never bad enough to say "I will pack it all in” I have been here on this earth for 40 years now, I have had many hardships, and nothing is worth killing yourself over. No mater how bad it seems at the time, things get better.

And YES I have had the same thoughts at times to just get rid of it all.

When I was younger I had depression from what ever and had suicidal thoughts. It is not worth it. The older I get the more I realize this. And now I am old enough and do not have a young indestructible attitude and I realized that my own mortality will come to an end in the next 40ish years or so, and knowing this the more I do not want it.

Sure I am comfortable with death and when it does happen I will be happy to pass on to a better existence. But I guess the point is; I feel really silly about those times when I had had the suicidal urges when I was younger. And I am especially grateful that I never was weak enough or desperate enough to give in.

If you did kill yourself, more than just you would suffer. The people who love you would suffer greatly. If you feel nobody loves you then you are wrong. I don't have a clue as to who you are but I know somebody loves you a great deal.

Peace

Jim
Definition of a Veteran. A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including his life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

I know you mean well, JCS, but the person here was talking about HIS life, and HIS feelings, not yours. It is true that there may be people out there who love him, or he may have no one close enough who he feels he can talk to. Just so you know, Kyle, GOD loves you and so does everybody on this board. I will be praying for you.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
FFC

Post by FFC »

jenwat3 wrote:I know you mean well, JCS, but the person here was talking about HIS life, and HIS feelings, not yours. It is true that there may be people out there who love him, or he may have no one close enough who he feels he can talk to. Just so you know, Kyle, GOD loves you and so does everybody on this board. I will be praying for you.
Jenna, I think that respnse was a little harsh. JCS was emphasing because he has been there. None of us can know exactly what is going on with another persons life, but we can share what we have been through and sometimes that is enough to help the other person feel like he is not alone in his thoughts.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

JCS, since you were the one who wrote the post in question, do YOU think I was too harsh? I certainly wasn't trying to be. And if I was, then I apologize to JCS.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Kyle2012
Acquainted Member

Post by Kyle2012 »

would it be wrong if i get a good emotional high from thinking of death?

emo music makes me happy

thinking of creative ways to commit suicide interest me

but dont you worry, no plans on dying any time soon. still got a reason or two to live.
FFC

Post by FFC »

Kyle2012 wrote:would it be wrong if i get a good emotional high from thinking of death?

emo music makes me happy

thinking of creative ways to commit suicide interest me

but dont you worry, no plans on dying any time soon. still got a reason or two to live.
Good to hear, Kyle. Do you have a relationship with God? I guess what I am trying to ask is if you have believed in Jesus Christ for eternal life like the bible promises if we put our trust in Him?

Kyle2012
Acquainted Member

Post by Kyle2012 »

well i like believe in him and what not and john 3:16 n all that good stuff.
FFC

Post by FFC »

Kyle2012 wrote:well i like believe in him and what not and john 3:16 n all that good stuff.
Do you know what Christ did on the cross for you?

Kyle2012
Acquainted Member

Post by Kyle2012 »

FFC wrote:
Kyle2012 wrote:well i like believe in him and what not and john 3:16 n all that good stuff.
Do you know what Christ did on the cross for you?
of course i do
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

I think the question here should be "do you ACCEPT what Christ did on the cross for you"?