Chastisement

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Chastisement

Post by FFC »

How long does chastisement last? Can it go on for years even after you confess your sins and repent? Can a person's quality of living be a form of chastisement for awful sins that he did earlier in his christian walk when he was out of the will of God?

This is how I'm feeling right now in my own life.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Chastisement

Post by Canuckster1127 »

FFC wrote:How long does chastisement last? Can it go on for years even after you confess your sins and repent? Can a person's quality of living be a form of chastisement for awful sins that he did earlier in his christian walk when he was out of the will of God?

Chastisement for the Christian is not punishment, but discipline. The penalty of sin was born by Christ and we are free from that in terms of any affliction from God for the sake of punishment. As God's Children, He disciplines us and that will take place as long as God wills it, and deems it to be for our benefit and learning. Sometimes the consequences of our sins humanly speaking endure even though God has forgiven us.

It's key to realize that God does not simply punish us for punishment's sake. He has a purpose. Sometimes that purpose may fall outside just us as well.

I've often wrestled with self-pity over why God allowed me to have cancer and clinical depression. I think I have some answers now and they help. Ultimately, however, I may never know and understand completely. God may have willed or allowed this in my life to promote his good purpose for someone else. This may be a thorn in the flesh like Paul to keep me humble and dependent upon God. It may be so I can minister to others with similar afflictions. I just don't know. I do know however that God loves me and has a purpose in my life and whether my life is easy or hard, whether I die an old man in my bed or a martyr for the faith, God will recieve the honor and praise and I will never have to regret trusting him.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
bizzt
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
FFC wrote:How long does chastisement last? Can it go on for years even after you confess your sins and repent? Can a person's quality of living be a form of chastisement for awful sins that he did earlier in his christian walk when he was out of the will of God?

Chastisement for the Christian is not punishment, but discipline. The penalty of sin was born by Christ and we are free from that in terms of any affliction from God for the sake of punishment. As God's Children, He disciplines us and that will take place as long as God wills it, and deems it to be for our benefit and learning. Sometimes the consequences of our sins humanly speaking endure even though God has forgiven us.

It's key to realize that God does not simply punish us for punishment's sake. He has a purpose. Sometimes that purpose may fall outside just us as well.

I've often wrestled with self-pity over why God allowed me to have cancer and clinical depression. I think I have some answers now and they help. Ultimately, however, I may never know and understand completely. God may have willed or allowed this in my life to promote his good purpose for someone else. This may be a thorn in the flesh like Paul to keep me humble and dependent upon God. It may be so I can minister to others with similar afflictions. I just don't know. I do know however that God loves me and has a purpose in my life and whether my life is easy or hard, whether I die an old man in my bed or a martyr for the faith, God will recieve the honor and praise and I will never have to regret trusting him.
I find it strange how life works! God uses a Sin that is prevalent in you and uses it for Good. In a way God asks you to take up the Cross and then use that Sin that was a Thorn in your Side to help others with the same problem. It is a way of promoting Fellowship with People.

Why do Bad things happen to good People?

So the Person can rise up against the Bad thing and have a testimony for Jesus and help others who are experiencing the same problem :)
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

bizzt wrote: Why do Bad things happen to good People?
I find the question asked this way is tinged with the philosophy of our times. Culturally we lend support to the idea that most of us who might be described as decent and generally honest are therefore "good people", but in reality none of us are that. Our natural selves are sinners.

Romans 3:22 This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

It is closer to the truth to turn the question around and ask instead "Why do good things happen to bad people?" and then be grateful for the grace of God and all those things that we do already have from Him.
bizzt
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

Judah wrote:
I find the question asked this way is tinged with the philosophy of our times. Culturally we lend support to the idea that most of us who might be described as decent and generally honest are therefore "good people", but in reality none of us are that. Our natural selves are sinners.

Romans 3:22 This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

It is closer to the truth to turn the question around and ask instead "Why do good things happen to bad people?" and then be grateful for the grace of God and all those things that we do already have from Him.
here here Judah.

So True that Philosophical Question is the one of the times and right you are if you turn that question around it just allows you to realize how much you need God's Grace
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Judah wrote:

While I think this is true in terms of prevenient or common grace that falls upon all of mankind regardless of an individuals relationship with Christ, I do think there is an elevated relationship when God declares us His son or daughter and adopts us as joint heirs with Christ.

While we know that we still wrestle with sin and that there are temporal consequences for our sin, sometimes that go beyond just us and affect others, I believe God positionally sees us then as Good and declares us righteous and deals with us as a loving Father chastising or the better word, disciplining us, and guiding us by the Holy Spirit to conform to the image of Christ.

Now, where I think we really lose it sometimes, is imagining that we can judge what is good or evil in terms of what happens to us.

I'm dead set against the prosperity Gospel that promotes health and wealth in this life to the detrement of God's clear plan that many believers through the ages and certainly toward the end of this age will be subject to persecution.

Look at the extreme. Is Martyrdom evil? God seems to believe that His saints who have gone through martyrdom for HIs names sake are beautiful and good. Can I explain that completely? No, I can't.

What if that is God's will for me? What if, to make it contemporary, in the next 5 years, Militant Islam conquers the world and my words from this bulletin board are presented to an Islamic Tribunal and I'm asked if I wrote them and I believe them. God grant that were it so, I said yes and was taken back and beheaded within 5 minutes.

Evil right? Maybe to me, certainly at the time. What would the impact be for me in terms of eternity? Overall little, except perhaps an extra measure of joy that God counted me worthy to die for him in that manner.

God, it seems to me, would see that as good and part of his plan. Maybe someone would see that and question what i believed so strongly and come to this web site, and see the testimony of August, G-Man, Turgy, JBuza, Rich Deem, Judah, FFC, Puritan Lad, B.W, Jac, Byblos (etc, sorry I can't write out everyone else but you're included.)

All of us, at different points of growth, with different convictions in different areas but God knows our hearts and if He so judge, saved and part of His Church.

So, I believe we can expect as Children of God that God will do good to us. I prefer to trust Him and allow Him to determine what is good, rather than imagine that that which causes me pain or suffering cannot yet be God's will and good for me and for His kingdom.

Try preaching that in Suburban America and asking for an Amen!
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

Amen from me!