Christian and Buddhism

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
zstep14
Familiar Member

Post by zstep14 »

The big problem here is the denial of a diety. Buddism definatley makes this claim unfortunatley, a HUGE mistake. So handle with care...
True, but some Buddhists just leave the idea of deity alone. They don't necessarily all deny it.

I would like to point out also, that although a Buddhist might deny a deity, he accepts all faiths and gives respect to them.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

zstep14 wrote:
The big problem here is the denial of a diety. Buddism definatley makes this claim unfortunatley, a HUGE mistake. So handle with care...
True, but some Buddhists just leave the idea of deity alone. They don't necessarily all deny it.

I would like to point out also, that although a Buddhist might deny a deity, he accepts all faiths and gives respect to them.
Did Jesus teach all faiths should be accepted and respected?

John 14:6
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
zstep14
Familiar Member

Post by zstep14 »

I said that, because I don't think its going to hurt my faith. Buddhists are very accepting, in the sense that they don't mind what your faith is. I'm not going to stray away from my faith in Jesus Christ at all. Do I think Jesus taught that all faiths should be respected? Yes. Do I think that he taught that all faiths should be accepted? I don't know. Probably not.

Buddhists believe in Jesus, if that says anything. But then again, so do most major religions. I just take that farther, and believe that he is the Son of God.

I don't see how combining prayer and meditation can be bad. You shouldn't think of Buddhism as just a religion, like I've said before.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

zstep14 wrote:

I said that, because I don't think its going to hurt my faith. Buddhists are very accepting, in the sense that they don't mind what your faith is. I'm not going to stray away from my faith in Jesus Christ at all. Do I think Jesus taught that all faiths should be respected? Yes. Do I think that he taught that all faiths should be accepted? I don't know. Probably not.

Buddhists believe in Jesus, if that says anything. But then again, so do most major religions. I just take that farther, and believe that he is the Son of God.

I don't see how combining prayer and meditation can be bad. You shouldn't think of Buddhism as just a religion, like I've said before.
I've not stated you're wrong to utlilize buddhist meditation techniques.

I do think you need to be a little more discerning on this idea of universalism.

I believe Jesus taught and modelled respect of others in many ways, but it was not universal. Interestingly his most vehement words and expressions of anger seemed focused more often on Religious Hypocrisy within Judaism, and by extension I believe we could say the same to Religious Hypocrisy within Christianity.

Jesus clearly claimed exclusivity in terms of salvation and approaching God. Look at the verse I linked in the prior post. How do you reconcile Christ's words, ie "I am the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father except by me" John 14:6 with the idea that Christ would accept other faiths?

Christ loves people of other faiths. Christ provided no other means to approach God than through Himself personally. Highly "intolerant" of him, don't you think?

A method of meditation is not necessarily wrong. I'm simply appealing to you to consider as a Christian, which you claim to be, that there may be baggage attached to some of this that you need to be very alert to identifying and not accepting it without examining the truth of it against what Christ said.

Don't mistake love for the sinner with tolerance for the sin.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
zstep14
Familiar Member

Post by zstep14 »

I've not stated you're wrong to utlilize buddhist meditation techniques.

I do think you need to be a little more discerning on this idea of universalism.

I believe Jesus taught and modelled respect of others in many ways, but it was not universal. Interestingly his most vehement words and expressions of anger seemed focused more often on Religious Hypocrisy within Judaism, and by extension I believe we could say the same to Religious Hypocrisy within Christianity.

Jesus clearly claimed exclusivity in terms of salvation and approaching God. Look at the verse I linked in the prior post. How do you reconcile Christ's words, ie "I am the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father except by me" John 14:6 with the idea that Christ would accept other faiths?

Christ loves people of other faiths. Christ provided no other means to approach God than through Himself personally. Highly "intolerant" of him, don't you think?

A method of meditation is not necessarily wrong. I'm simply appealing to you to consider as a Christian, which you claim to be, that there may be baggage attached to some of this that you need to be very alert to identifying and not accepting it without examining the truth of it against what Christ said.

Don't mistake love for the sinner with tolerance for the sin.
Thank you for your responses. I'm still trying to figure out the things I should not do. The things I want to do, I want to benefit my faith.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

I need to caution you against practices like Yoga and Transindental Meditation, where a person yeilds their body and minds to strange Spirits, chanting mantras, etc. Meditation in the Bible is not TM, but meditating on the Word and in Prayer.

God takes His worship very seriously. Consider that God killed Aaron's two sons for offering up a "strange fire".
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
zstep14
Familiar Member

Post by zstep14 »

I need to caution you against practices like Yoga and Transindental Meditation, where a person yeilds their body and minds to strange Spirits, chanting mantras, etc. Meditation in the Bible is not TM, but meditating on the Word and in Prayer.

God takes His worship very seriously. Consider that God killed Aaron's two sons for offering up a "strange fire".
"Strange spirits"? The purpose of meditation can be for concentration, inner peace, compassion, etc. Putting Buddhism aside, I don't see how yoga yields my body to "strange spirits". I think meditation can worship God.
Consider that God killed Aaron's two sons for offering up a "strange fire".
I don't even know how to respond to that.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

zstep14 wrote:

"Strange spirits"? The purpose of meditation can be for concentration, inner peace, compassion, etc. Putting Buddhism aside, I don't see how yoga yields my body to "strange spirits". I think meditation can worship God.
Consider that God killed Aaron's two sons for offering up a "strange fire".
I don't even know how to respond to that.
What do you meditate on? Yoga, Buddhism all use different Spirits for Calmness and to tell you the truth are more Self Centred/Oriented Meditation then on God. So what does God want you to do? Read the Bible and meditate on his Word. The Psalmist did not need Buddhism or Yoga for him to Meditate. The War is not for your Body but for your Soul.

Psa 1:2 But his delight is in the law of Jehovah; And on his law doth he meditate day and night.
Psa 119:27 Make me to understand the way of thy precepts: So shall I meditate on thy wondrous works.
Psa 119:48 I will lift up my hands also unto thy commandments, which I have loved; And I will meditate on thy statutes.
Psa 145:5 Of the glorious majesty of thine honor, And of thy wondrous works, will I meditate.

One last scripture for you to meditate on

Luk 21:34 But take heed to yourselves, lest haply your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that day come on you suddenly as a snare:
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

The Dalai Lama has said point blank that he does not believe in any creator or deity. The Budda nature is in all of us. I suppose that others may interpret that differently or have a different opinion of the buddist teachings that I'm unaware of... As for accepting all faiths, I would have to debate that when a religon states that. Many times a religion might say "All faiths are acceptable", but I think they say that to cover their bases.

Paul also encountered this in Athens when he saw an alter with the inscription "To an unknown God". There were many Gods there with alters to all of them, and then to cover all their bases they put up an alter to an unknown God, (the one Paul proclaimed to them).

Just a thought. I know you are not a buddist, you just have a question about meditation. Again, I don't really think that all meditation can be bad. I'm sure there are bad forms of meditation and good forms of it also. Doesn't the bible say "Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourelves." 2 Cor. 13:5. Also doesn't it say "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things." Phil 4:8. To me this is a good meditation.

G -
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

And when all else fails... Google it...

http://www.praisemoves.com/ChristianAlternative.htm
bluesman
Established Member
Christian: No

Yoga

Post by bluesman »

And if you listen to Rock and Roll and Dance you will go to.......

As far as Yoga approached like good exercise and stretches It quite harmless to your spirit. The science show the benefit of Yoga for the body.
Good for the body is good for the mind.

As far as Meditation when I tried it I was never able to totally empty the mind. I was able to empty it of everyday problems and just concentrate on self. It a few moments of peace with just you.

Chanting Mantra? well why would you chant something if you don't know what it means? I would stay clear of that.

What I would do is before your Yoga meditation and after too, is say a prayer to God. Something like asking his help to put your mind at peace with God's Love. etc etc.

Michael
Thomas
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

And if you listen to Rock and Roll and Dance you will go to.......
Hi Bluesman. I'm not sure what you mean here about rock and roll and dance, (about it being bad or you will go to H.. E... double chop sticks if you listen to it). Can you explain?
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Not that I'm a defender of R-n-R I'm actually a jazz fan or blues like you... But to say that all forms of R-N-R or dance is bad it quite a stretch for me. I'm sure there are bad forms of rock and dance and good forms of it also, but to say it is all bad is quite out of the ordinary. I think it gives Chrisitanity a black eye. I quess I always think of that Flootloose movie when this subject comes up.

Anyways just a thought,

G -
zstep14
Familiar Member

Post by zstep14 »

I think it was sarcasm. Maybe?
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

zstep14, God wants to be your all in all. I think your interest in meditation is harmless but consider this. It is Jesus that offers you His peace God offers you peace that passes all understanding. Biblical Compassion is already yours as you walk in the fruit of the Spirit.

As PL stated biblical meditation is worshipping God through His word. I hate to even write this because I don't want it to come across as harsh or judgenmental, but to try to attain the things that eastern mediation promises instead of freely receiving them from God alone smacks of idolatry. Anything we put before God is idolatry and we all are in danger of this unless we present ourselves to the one and only true God and drink from His well of Grace, power and provision.

We have such a wonderful God who loves us and offers all that we need and more. Why insult Him by going to another source?