Deuteronomy 17:17 and 1 Kings 3:13 question?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
JBirdAngel
Recognized Member

Deuteronomy 17:17 and 1 Kings 3:13 question?

Post by JBirdAngel »

hello,

i am trying to understand what riches it is that God approved of and blessed Solomon with in connection to what He said in 1 Kings 3:13 and also in 2 Chronicals , though i dont know the verse vercertain right now in there.

in Deuteronomy 17:17 God says for a king not to have alot of wealth in silver and gold.

from what i read Solomon had alot of gold, things i have read say that Solomon having riches and many wives and stuff was bad, which the many wives was, but i get confused about the riches since God said He would give him riches, im guessing that these are not gold and silver riches? or atleast the silver i think is fine because Solomon didnt amount that for himself it soudns like it was common for everyones use, but it does sound like he had alot of gold, Joseph had a silver cup, which i don tknow if that counts, but was also before God had said this.

so what riches does God want or allow us to have and what did He give Solomon?

thank you - jason

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me."
- Jesus - John 14:1
IRQ Conflict
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Deu 17:17 Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.

Seems to be saying not to take wives gold silver (mammon) ect, in order to not interfere with his relationship with God. It is eiseir for a camel to enter the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

1Ki 3:13 And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honor: so that there shall not be any among the kings like unto thee all thy days.

Here we have God recognizing the humility of Solomon, and giving him things he never asked for. It was the will of God to bless him.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
JBirdAngel
Recognized Member

Post by JBirdAngel »

thank you for trying to help with your reply

what were the riches God gave Solomon? most of the stuff i read that Solomon had was gold stuff, so was Solomon storing up gold as God said not to? was Solomon then improperly using the riches God gave him?

or were it different riches that God gave him?

or non material riches?

or as someone pointed out in another post, in Deuteronomy 17:17 it says greatly multiply to himself, and it was God giving riches to Solomon so that didn't apply to it?

it was when Solomon then went to gather more to himself that he sinned?

thank you for trying to help - jason

bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

JBirdAngel wrote:thank you for trying to help with your reply

what were the riches God gave Solomon? most of the stuff i read that Solomon had was gold stuff, so was Solomon storing up gold as God said not to? was Solomon then improperly using the riches God gave him?

or were it different riches that God gave him?

or non material riches?

or as someone pointed out in another post, in Deuteronomy 17:17 it says greatly multiply to himself, and it was God giving riches to Solomon so that didn't apply to it?

it was when Solomon then went to gather more to himself that he sinned?

thank you for trying to help - jason

I think your last Sentence Explains everything!! The riches God wanted Solomon to have was the Riches that God Blessed him With! Solomon seeing this Riches got Greedy and in that is where he sinned.

IMHO of course
IRQ Conflict
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Hehe, I just came across this. Were the ancients Uni-Brow? :lol:

Deu 14:1 Ye are the children of the LORD your God: ye shall not cut yourselves, nor make any baldness between your eyes for the dead.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain