Homosexuality

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
numeral2_5
Established Member
Christian: No

Homosexuality

Post by numeral2_5 »

Did god give his thoughts on what was wrong with homosexuality?
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

He doesn't like it. It isn't what he intended.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

Did he say why he intended for it not to happen that way?
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

Because of free-will, I'm sure he saw it coming.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Sin entered the world as the result of free-will, evil became the disease as the result of sin, and from that can come homosexuality, which is one of many evil things.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

Why is it evil?
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

numeral2_5 wrote:Why is it evil?
Homosexuality is evil because it is something that God did not intend. It is a perversion of what He did intend. Man and man, or woman and woman are not compatible; they do not produce offspring. We are created by God as sexual beings who are to live under His law, and that law says to not commit such acts. It is unholy, and therefore evil. I can't think of any religion (excluding pagan religions - which God forbids) that instructs its believers to have sex with the same gender.

However, there are unbelievers that do not follow any religious laws, and so therefore they do not believe homosexuality is "evil", because for them, evil does not exist. But that is another topic I will not go into.
Last edited by Believer on Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

What makes it evil, unholy, untended if it's possible, and not condoned by god?
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

I don't know, numeral. I will try to find out a good answer for you. The bible, though, is extremely clear on stating that it is wrong. Maybe we won't ever know exactly why until we meet God. Two ways I see why it is wrong is that

1) It is harmful/damaging to the body in its truest form (e.g. if two people truly love each other and want to fully express this love, they have intercourse; thus, if two homosexuals truly love each other they will eventually be led to intercourse and find that they can't fully do this without harming each other.

2) Most homosexuals I know are unhappy. They don't like who/what they are. Even when they begin to experience homosexual feelings as children (some, not all begin as children), they are uncomfortable with their emotions. Of course we don't know if this is due to social influence (probably so); but, it must be understood that people are social animals and can't really be defined any other way (also, we can see that most cultures condoning homosexuality "breed" other immoral activities and unhappiness among their citizens. Leads us to believe, it is wrong.
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

Of course we don't know if this is due to social influence (probably so); but, it must be understood that people are social animals and can't really be defined any other way
Yes, we do, there are many struggling homosexuals on this board and I can say first hand that certain social and emotional developments early in life resulting from many social factors among other things DO contribute, and whether you are able to alter your feelings means nothing about where they came from, it is like your personality.

I think there are more positive ways to find the love and affection you need outside of sexual intercourse, since that will not fulfill what most homosexuals are seeking.
"And I shall slay them who partake of futurism, for in the preterist light there will be everlasting salvation, truth, and peace." ~ Faust
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

I would've replied to this earlier with an answer, but I was sadly too lazy! I just got ready for work, found out just before I was going to leave that I don't have to work today, and so I'm using my excess energy from being up, on this thread. Hopefully I'll be able to fall asleep afterwards! :)

Homosexuality is wrong for many reasons. God says it's so for, as I see it, mainly spiritual reasons. You see, God created sexual intercourse and the union between man and wife to be symbolic of our relationship with Him as Christians. Don't get creeped out, let me further explain!

Ephesians 5:22-32

"For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and shall be joined to his wife and the two shall become one flesh. This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church." (Eph 5:31,32)

Marriage between man and woman is symbolic of the union between Christ and the Church. The man represents Christ, and the woman represents the Church. Sexual intercourse is the celebration and expression of such a union, kind of like how worship can be the celebration and expression of such a union between the Christian and Christ. To misuse sexual intercourse, or sexuality at all, is a sin against this mystery. It's very serious! And God made sex to be as powerful as it is to represent the importance we should give to our relationship with Christ: consuming, a ferocious flame, something we tend to not stop thinking about in one way or the other, something we strongly desire.

Homosexuality is not only a perversion of nature- the way God made us to function, but more importantly a perversion of the spiritual symbolism God gave it. It's not so much as being able to procreate or be "clean" about sexual expression, but the spiritual symbolism involved, which God takes very seriously.

:lol: That was a lot shorter and simpler than I imagined it'd be... I hope I said all that I had originally wanted to! But I'll reply to further explain if anyone posts after this.
LadyHel
Acquainted Member

Post by LadyHel »

I keep hearing people say things like "most homosexuals are unhappy" and I'm sorry but it's just not true.
I'm friends with many people who are gay, none of them are "unhappy with being homosexual" and none of them are "uncomfortable with the feelings they are experiencing."
AIDS is not restricted to homosexuals, anyone who sleeps with lots of people has a chance of catching HIV. Perhaps if the Christian church encouraged gay marriages AIDS wouldn't be so wide spread in any case.
I'm bi and I personally feel a little repulsed that anyone would call me a sinner, just because I fancy girls as well as boys, and I find it quite sickening that anyone thinks they have the right to look on me as abnormal and abhorrent. If there is a God, then I am as much His/Her/Its child as anyone else. The Bible was written by men thousands of years ago, and culture was different then. It doesn't even profess to be the word of God, apart from things like the commandments, which don't mention gays anyway.
This is supposed to be a loving Father God- I know my father wouldn't be upset if I brought home a girlfriend to dinner.
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

But God is not the Father of all people. The Bible says that, (look up verses later,) your father is the one you obey. It specifically says that if you lie, your father is Satan, the father of all lies. However, as saved Christians, our Father is always God, even if we lie, and even while we're lying. That's because we've been cleansed of all sin and God now sees us as wholly righteous, having been given Christ's own righteousness. Christ was His Son, we are made like Christ, Christ is now our Brother and the Father our own Father.

Being happy or unhappy has nothing whatsoever to do with what's right and wrong. God's own righteousness is the sole dictator of that, and it never changes. He created things to be a certain way, and to do things different is a perversion, whether it's sexuality or anything else. Hate is a perversion of love, for example. (I think! lol I'll have to think more on that....)

As for AIDS, no one can reasonably disagree with you. It's a disease that affects babies as well as homosexuals; it is not a "gay" disease, no matter what it's history has been in one particular country.
LadyHel wrote:Perhaps if the Christian church encouraged gay marriages AIDS wouldn't be so wide spread in any case.
This is a ludicrous speculation for many reasons. lol That's all I'll say about that!
LadyHel wrote:I'm bi and I personally feel a little repulsed that anyone would call me a sinner, just because I fancy girls as well as boys, and I find it quite sickening that anyone thinks they have the right to look on me as abnormal and abhorrent.
Well, would you be oppossed to a Christian calling a pedophile a sinner? Would you stop them short and say, "Hey, that's rude"? A perversion of God's intended way is still a perversion, and all of it is sickening to God. Now, don't get all caught up in my example, take it like I meant it. We're all sinners because we all sin, and God sees all sins as just as equally repulsive- He can't help that, and we should have the same attitude. You're no worse of a sinner than me, and I'm no worse than you. Once stained with the "slightest" sin we are stained entirely.
LadyHel wrote:It doesn't even profess to be the word of God, apart from things like the commandments, which don't mention gays anyway.
Yes, it does. In the New Testament it says that all Scripture is inspired. Now, of course, it meant the Old Testament in that instance, but the New Testament is a continuation of the Old, and both Old and New Testaments speak against homosexuality as sin.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

As Kateliz says, we are not all children of God.

We were all made in the image of God and intended to become children of God - sons and daughters of God, brothers and sisters of each other in Christ. This happens when one accepts God as loving Father and enters into such a relationship with Him through Jesus Christ.

If someone rejects God and His offer of salvation through Jesus Christ, he is rejecting the Father-child relationship that he might have with God.

The words in the following verse refers to Jesus - those who receive Jesus have the right to become children of God.
John 1:11-13:
11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.

1 John 3:10:
This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother.
What is more, God is not just a God of love. He is also holy and righteous, and all sin (as He defines it - not us) is abhorrent to Him.

LadyHel, it is not us who makes the rules about what sin is and isn't. God defines sin Himself and you will discover what that is by reading His word, which is the Bible. If you do not like this particularly, just remember that we are all sinners and God's definition of sin applies to all of us equally.
2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
You have a choice to make. If you want God as your Father, then it is pretty clear in the Bible what is entailed. If you don't want to address the nature of sin as God defines it, then that is your choice.
But if we are to speak objectively about what the God of the Bible calls sin, then we will need to be reading what is in the Bible rather than just making up what we feel like and attributing it to God.
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

Judah, I like your response very much. Thank you for contributing, and quoting the verses I merely refered to vaguely! Hope you've been doing well since I last "spoke" with you!