Gopher wood mystery

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
dad

Gopher wood mystery

Post by dad »

No one knows what gopher wood was. Some have hazarded guesses, but it remains a mystery.
Here is a possibility that might explain it.
If you have ever seen some gophers tunnels, you would have seen some little piles of dirt, and rocks, etc., which they push out from where the tunnel was dug.
Here is a story to be taken with a grain of salt, meant to illustrate that Gopher 'wood' may be stronger than we thought.--A long time ago, there used to be men who were skilled in many areas, such as farming, vineyards, and music. Gen 4:20 "And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and of such as have cattle. 21 And his brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ. 22 And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: "
One day, one of the metalworkers made a strong substance from an idea he got looking at a gopher's pile of dirt. One simply took some natural resin and sand, coated a log, or almost anything one wanted, poured in the iron, or metal, and presto, when dry the formed metal log was now ready. My, I think I'll call this gopher wood, he thought, and the name stuck, in that pre flood ancient world. Imagine a boat built of this stuff? Or, perhaps the frame, hull etc where support was crucial, and maybe the outside finished with oak, or some wood, then everything sealed with pitch?!
Now, if it was anything at all like this, why, no wonder the poor guys translating the bible could not figure out what kind of 'wood' gopher wood was!
Have times changed? Oh, yes, but when we look, we see some things may be similar in some ways.

"What is the Sand Cast Process?

It is the process where moist bonded or resin coated sand is firmly packed around a wood or metal pattern of the item(s) to be made. The wood and/or metal pattern is then removed and the resulting cavity is filled with the molten metal. Once the cavity is filled the mold undergoes air drying. The mold(s) are then removed to be cut from the gate and runner as individual pieces. "
"
Most versatile & low-cost method of casting.
Strength and lightness in certain light metal alloys.
Good bearing qualities are obtained in sand casted metals.
Extremely large, heavy metal objects may be cast when they would be difficult or economically impossible to produce otherwise.
Suitable for Ferrous & Non-Ferrous materials void of limitations such as size, shape or weight.
Suitable for low or unlimited quantities making this method ideally economical.
The most intricate of shapes, both external and internal, may be cast. "
http://www.atlasbronze.com/sand_casting.html
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

What the hell is this about, anyway?
"And I shall slay them who partake of futurism, for in the preterist light there will be everlasting salvation, truth, and peace." ~ Faust
dad

Re: RE:

Post by dad »

Ark~Magic wrote:What the hell is this about, anyway?
It is about what gopher wood may have been. Some say the ark needed more strength, this gives it all the strength anyone would want. Metal supports. Formed from a process of making simple molds from sand and wood-'gopher wood' as it may have been called. Why are you cussing? Do you want a weak ark?
mick
Familiar Member

Post by mick »

dad wrote:
It is about what gopher wood may have been. Some say the ark needed more strength, this gives it all the strength anyone would want. Metal supports. Formed from a process of making simple molds from sand and wood-'gopher wood' as it may have been called. Why are you cussing? Do you want a weak ark?
Oy vey.
dad

Post by dad »

mick wrote:
dad wrote: It is about what gopher wood may have been. Some say the ark needed more strength, this gives it all the strength anyone would want. Metal supports. Formed from a process of making simple molds from sand and wood-'gopher wood' as it may have been called. Why are you cussing? Do you want a weak ark?
Oy vey.
One aspect of gopher wood being metal, is that it would likely make it easier to find the ark! Satellite imagery, and other things that have been used I don't think were looking for a large amount of metal!!!
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

mick wrote:
dad wrote:
Oy vey.
I'm with you. Sometimes I think we try too hard.
dad

Post by dad »

One thing they have tried hard to do is figure out what 'wood' gopher wood was, and have failed. It is commonly debated that wood could not have the strength to endure a flood, although I am not sure about that claim. Nevertheless, we know they were makers of metal at the time, from the bible. I have never thought of any relation trees had to gophers, have you?
Places like what is now India, have zinc, copper and iron ore, which likely may have been needed in the process. They have tried to imagine what area of the world had the trees for Noah to build the ark. Maybe looking for the metal source area may now be a better clue as to where Noah built the ark!
And, as I say, perhaps the ancient metal is still detectable, and if this idea were right, could result in actually finding the real ark.
Times are getting late, why not?
Fisherman
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by Fisherman »

They had it built down at Bethlehem Steel Shipyards. Back then it was called Bethlehem Gopher Wood Shipyards. ;)
Ain't what I otta be, Ain’t what I wanta be, Ain't what I could be, Image

But, thank God, I Ain't what I used to be, And, Praise God, I, Ain't what I'm gonna be! :D
dad

Post by dad »

Fisherman wrote:They had it built down at Bethlehem Steel Shipyards. Back then it was called Bethlehem Gopher Wood Shipyards. ;)
Does this mean you think the whole story of the flood is hooey, or just that you think the ark was not metal reinforced?
It seems that some evos scoff at an intelligent God.
Fisherman
Recognized Member

Post by Fisherman »

dad wrote:
Fisherman wrote:They had it built down at Bethlehem Steel Shipyards. Back then it was called Bethlehem Gopher Wood Shipyards. ;)
Does this mean you think the whole story of the flood is hooey, or just that you think the ark was not metal reinforced?
It seems that some evos scoff at an intelligent God.
It was a joke. Ahem... :roll:

But, thank God, I Ain't what I used to be, And, Praise God, I, Ain't what I'm gonna be! :D
Fisherman
Recognized Member

Post by Fisherman »

btw - What's an evo?

Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Believer »

Fisherman wrote:btw - What's an evo?
evo=evolutionist
Fisherman
Recognized Member

Post by Fisherman »

Brother Dad,

I'm not an "Evo". I'm one of God's kids. Actually I do believe that God is indeed all knowing and all powerfull and all everything else.

God bless.

dad

Post by dad »

Fisherman wrote:Brother Dad,

I'm not an "Evo". I'm one of God's kids. Actually I do believe that God is indeed all knowing and all powerfull and all everything else.

God bless.
OK. Sometimes it's hard to tell humor from evo opinion! Some evos don't like the term, as they get indignant, and feel the puritan word 'evolution' really is a small part of the old age theories. But I usually say it to refer to all the old age beliefs.
Having a metal ark to look for really gives men a fighting chance to find it. Not that I care, but it might impress some people who thought it was all a story.
mick
Familiar Member

Post by mick »

Fortigurn wrote:
mick wrote:
dad wrote:
Oy vey.