Atheism is just as bad as Theism

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

lol...if it makes man looks better than dirt, it somehow makes us feel superior...
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Blobby, what if you were to think that everyone is an idiot-I mean, you took the belief to heart and everything-now, what if I were to tell you the truth-that most people are intelligent, that yes, some are complete idiots, but, on the whole, most people are somewhat intelligent, with a small number of geniuses. Now, you'd say I'm making man look superior and better than he is-but if you were wrong-me saying man is intelligent wouldn't make man look-superior-it would paint an honest picture of him-while your views would degrade man.

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
Blob
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by Blob »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:lol...if it makes man looks better than dirt, it somehow makes us feel superior...
Genesis 2:7
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
While in external speech thought is embodied in words, in inner speech words die as they bring forth thought.
- Vygotsky
Blob
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by Blob »

Now, you'd say I'm making man look superior and better than he is-but if you were wrong-me saying man is intelligent wouldn't make man look-superior-it would paint an honest picture of him-while your views would degrade man.
Labeling people does indeed change perspective. Consider your keenness to label me as an "agnostic". Considering your low opinion of atheism cf. agnosticism I decided to take this as a complement.
While in external speech thought is embodied in words, in inner speech words die as they bring forth thought.
- Vygotsky
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Blob wrote:
Now, you'd say I'm making man look superior and better than he is-but if you were wrong-me saying man is intelligent wouldn't make man look-superior-it would paint an honest picture of him-while your views would degrade man.
Labeling people does indeed change perspective. Consider your keenness to label me as an "agnostic". Considering your low opinion of atheism cf. agnosticism I decided to take this as a complement.
I don't have a low opinion of atheism...I have a low opinion of a particular breed of atheists-along the lines of sockerfreak and dawkins.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Blob wrote:
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:lol...if it makes man looks better than dirt, it somehow makes us feel superior...
Genesis 2:7
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Yes, we are made (physically) out of the same common materials found in dirt...come now, you know what I meant.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
x'tian
Newbie Member

Post by x'tian »

According to the World Population Clock, as of October 14, 2005, the world's population is at 6,472,530,989. Out of this number, 33% are Christians (Catholics, Protestants, Eastern Orthodox, Pentecostal, Latter-day Saints, Jehovah's Witness, nominal, etc.), 18% are Muslims, 16% are Hindus, 16% are non-religious, including atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, etc., 6% are Buddhists, 4% are Chinese Traditional, 4% are Indigenous, 3% are other religions.

So I was wondering where K-Mart based his arguement that atheists makes the claim that 95%+ of the world's population past and present is wrong? This was a misrepresentation on his part. Besides the 16% non-religious, the 6% Buddhists in the world are non-theistic, they also don't believe in a god. 95%+ of the world's population? really?

Atheist don't make the claim that those who don't adhere to their beliefs are going to hell and suffer eternal damnation. Using Christian precept as the standard, 67% of the world's population are condemned to hell. What's 67% of 6,472,530,989? If your going to break up the Christian groups to be more specific who goes to hell, let's say Catholic precept as the standard, then that means more people get to go to hell. Why?

God revealed himself to who? Really?

Atheism is a religion? Really? Religion is defined as a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny.

So how exactly does atheism become a religion?
Humanist Manifesto I (who ever he was) was wrong. The group of communist leaders were also wrong. They did not apprehend the meaning of atheism.

There are 2 types of understanding, Comprehension and Apprehension. Theist and Atheist philosophers know this. You should too if you are going to make such claims against Atheism.

And regarding your argument:
Muse-to think
BUT, stick an A in front
Amuse-not to think
Theism-Belief that there is a God
Atheism-Belief that there is no God.
Not that hard.

This is one of the worst straw-man argument I have ever seen. What were you implying with that argument?

Lastly, Atheism is the non-belief in a god. What's wrong with that?

Abraham Lincoln, also known as Honest Abe, the Rail Splitter, and the Great Emancipator, ranked as one of the greatest presidents of the United States, played a major role in ending slavery in America. A freethinker, an atheist.

Mohandas Karamchand "Bapu" Gandhi, the figurehead of the Indian Independence Movement. Throughout his life he opposed any form of terrorism or violence, instead using only the highest moral standards. His philosophy of nonviolence, for which he coined the term satyagraha, has influenced national and international nonviolent resistance movements to this day, including the American Civil Rights Movement led by Martin Luther King. He once claimed to be a super-atheist.

If average Joe Atheist lives his life based on good, righteous, moral, ethical, charitable, altruistic and benevolent principles. He just doesn't believe in your god. What's wrong with that?

Are these people really damned as per the Christian precept?

P.S. You should change the name of the topic to: Atheism, just as good as Theism :D
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

- Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: The Gospel of Matthew

I think it would be best if we all just hug, and if life were a bed of roses.

Wouldn't life be easier if there were no difficult choices.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Why do you add in Buddhists, that's rather misleading as well. They believe that there is something supernatural. Can't remember if it's pantheistic or not though...
Atheism is a religion? Really? Religion is defined as a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny.
Rather bad definition. Because by that definition, Christianity isn't a religion either.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

If average Joe Atheist lives his life based on good, righteous, moral, ethical, charitable, altruistic and benevolent principles. He just doesn't believe in your god. What's wrong with that?
So you're trying to say that people can work their way to salvation. And that they have not in fact gone against God's will at least a handful of times by sinning....hhhmmm....find me such a man.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
x'tian
Newbie Member

Post by x'tian »

Buddhism is a non-theistic religion. Yes they do believe in the supernatural, but not in a patriarchal god like the god of classic monotheism (Judaism, Christianity, Islam). It's more of living by a set of moral principles than in believing in god, I came from a Buddhist and Catholic background.

The definition I gave about religion is from a dictionary, look it up yourself before you claim that I made a bad definition. There are two ways of understanding, comprehension (relative) and apprehension (definite). It seems you comprehend what religion is, but you don't apprehend what religion is.

Put into the right context how I used Buddhism.

Use a dictionary or an encyclopedia, or philosophy book and look up the following:
1. theism
2. religion
3. Buddhism
4. comprehension
5. apprehension
6. god

The concept of a god is a supernatural being, this is not the definition by atheist, but this is general knowledge. That is why it fits perfectly to the definition of religion.

Don't just comprehend, but apprehend.
x'tian
Newbie Member

Post by x'tian »

Spiritual salvation is your belief, not ours. You need it, we don't. You believe in spirits, we don't. So what exactly was your argument? Do I still need to answer?

Atheist do not believe in the supernatural. Sin is of a supernatural nature, we do not believe in god, hence we don't believe in sins. (Look up the definition of what sin is in a dictionary)

However, this does not mean we do not know what is right and what is wrong. Christianity does not have sole authority on morality. And morality is not found in Christianity alone.

You asked me to show you a man, there are 6.4 billion people in the world, 33% are adherents of Christianity. You pick one from the other 67% percent. If you don't believe there is one moral man out of the 67% non-Christians in the world, then you are a bigot. You are the religious equivalent of a racist.

Take note, I have not made a claim that Christians are immoral. You however were not so kind.

My stand is on the defense of atheism and not an attack on Christianity.

All who doubted or denied would be lost. To live a moral and honest life -- to keep your contracts, to take care of wife and child -- to make a happy home -- to be a good citizen, a patriot, a just and thoughtful man, was simply a respectable way of going to hell.
- Colonel Robert Green Ingersoll, Why I Am An Agnostic (1896)
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Spiritual salvation is your belief, not ours. You need it, we don't. You believe in spirits, we don't. So what exactly was your argument? Do I still need to answer?
Please stop speaking the nonsense of relativism. "Your truth is good for you, and mine is good for me"

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

[Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged . . .]

Theism

The belief in one God as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation

Belief in the existence of god or gods
__
Religion

A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

A specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects.

The body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices

The life or state of a monk, nun, etc.

The practice of religious beliefs; ritual observances of faith

Something one believes in and follows devotedly
__
Buddhism

A religion, originated in India by Buddha and later spreading to China, Burma, Japan, Tibet, and parts of southeast Asia, holding that life is full of suffering caused by desire and that the way to end suffering is through enlightenment that enables one to halt the endless sequences of births and deaths to which one is otherwise subject.

[Seems like they have all failed and died.]
__
Comprehension

The act or process of comprehending

The state of being comprehended

Perception or understanding

Capacity of the mind to perceive and understand; power to grasp ideas; ability to know.

In logic the connotation of a term.

Inclusion

Comprehensiveness
__
Apprehension

Anticipation of trouble or misfortune; suspicion or fear of future trouble or evil.

The faculty or act of apprehending, esp. intuitive understanding; perception on a direct and immediate level.

Acceptance of or receptivity to information wihtout passing judgement on its valdidity, often without complete comprehension

A view, opinion, or idea on any subject

The act of arresting.
__
God or god

The one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.

The Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute.

One of several deities, esp. a male deity, presiding over some portion of world affairs

A supreme being according to some particular conception

In Christian Science the supreme being, understood as Life, Truth, Love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle

An image of a deity; an idol

Any deified person or object