Thinking....

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

My thoughts take the form of images and dramas in my mind. for instance if I need to pick up toilet paper or something I usually play it out in my mind like a little movie...is that weird?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

I've wondered the same thing as the OP about thinking. I speak only English, and I think in words and they are English. For instance when I realize I'm hungry, it's almost like I can hear the 'inner voice' say "I'm hungry." I've often wondered what it would be like to speak 2 languages, and would the thoughts be of a different language? Since the prevalance of text-messaging and the like though, I think I see a glimpse of what it might be like. I've caught myself actually thinking "lol" as in "loll"... So that would almost be an instance of a new language taking hold (yes a geeky language I know :D)
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Byblos »

Felgar wrote:I've wondered the same thing as the OP about thinking. I speak only English, and I think in words and they are English. For instance when I realize I'm hungry, it's almost like I can hear the 'inner voice' say "I'm hungry." I've often wondered what it would be like to speak 2 languages, and would the thoughts be of a different language? Since the prevalance of text-messaging and the like though, I think I see a glimpse of what it might be like. I've caught myself actually thinking "lol" as in "loll"... So that would almost be an instance of a new language taking hold (yes a geeky language I know :D)

I speak 3 languages and I can tell you based on my experience, I have a 'dominant' language that I 'think' with and it's not even my native language. I think in English and sometimes fall back on either Arabic (Lebanese) or French. Lebanese is my native language and French is my second language. Interestingly enough, even when I go to Lebanon for a visit and everyone around is speaking Lebanese, I'm still thinking in English and translating internally. Weird!
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

And it's not even your native language Byblos... Fascinating!