Favorite Christian Music Artists?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

Mystical wrote:Switchfoot, Michael W. Smith. Love Joy William's Hide. I don't know, they are all good.

I have a question a bit off topic. Sometimes I get tired of listening to Christian music and I feel guilty...like I should like it all the time. Happen to anyone else? Should I like it all the time?
I don't feel guilty but I like listening to Country and some bands like Creed every so often. It just gives a different flavour and ther is nothing wrong with doing that :)
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

I have a dilema. I tried to listen to a Christian radio station some years back, and liked it for about half a year. But then I got fed up with listening to worship music when I wasn't worshiping. Why listen to people worship but use that for entertainment's sake? Why in the world sing worship when you're not worshiping? I detest it.

So I stopped listening to the station, and stuck to my secular CD's, (non-offensive.) Now I've been checking the radio for old songs I used to know, (some heavy metal stuff,) and am in a quandry. I want to listen to music with Christian viewpoints on things, but I don't want to listen to worship when I'm not worshiping. I haven't heard much Christian music, (and sadly, the Christian radio station was mostly pop and played the same stuff over and over again,) but am interested now in seeing if there's some out there I could listen to, and not have even religious issues with.

Oh, and there's also the problem that I have a lot of views that differ from mainstream Christianity. Hate that whole watered-down thing, and I must be able to agree wholeheartedly with whatever lyrics they have. I'd be very, very picky, in other words.

Is there any hope for me?
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

kateliz wrote:I have a dilema. I tried to listen to a Christian radio station some years back, and liked it for about half a year. But then I got fed up with listening to worship music when I wasn't worshiping. Why listen to people worship but use that for entertainment's sake? Why in the world sing worship when you're not worshiping? I detest it.

So I stopped listening to the station, and stuck to my secular CD's, (non-offensive.) Now I've been checking the radio for old songs I used to know, (some heavy metal stuff,) and am in a quandry. I want to listen to music with Christian viewpoints on things, but I don't want to listen to worship when I'm not worshiping. I haven't heard much Christian music, (and sadly, the Christian radio station was mostly pop and played the same stuff over and over again,) but am interested now in seeing if there's some out there I could listen to, and not have even religious issues with.

Oh, and there's also the problem that I have a lot of views that differ from mainstream Christianity. Hate that whole watered-down thing, and I must be able to agree wholeheartedly with whatever lyrics they have. I'd be very, very picky, in other words.

Is there any hope for me?
There is always Hope. Question what do you believe Worshipping is? I find when you sing Worship or any thing you do you should glorify God. Tell me why would you use it for entertainments sake and not Worship God? What is making you stop worshipping God when listening to those Songs? The question in the end Kate is it you or is it the Worship Songs?

I have often wondered where people get their songs from... For Example most come out of Scripture like the ones below. Some Songs like for Example Toby Mac (burn for you) are inspiration from the writer. Most people who write Christian are doing it out of Worship towards Jesus. That is what Life is about is it not?

Psa 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; Play skilfully with a loud noise.

Psa 40:3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: Many shall see it, and fear, And shall trust in Jehovah.
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

I believe there's more to the purpose of life than worship; but yes, we should worship in everything we do. That does not mean, however, that you have to have all of your music be direct worship. True worship is an attitude of your heart. It is supposed to be constantly there, whether or not you're listening to "worship music" or secular music. "Do all to the glory of God," but He doesn't demand we never do anything for entertainment's sake.

Entertainment has it's place. There's nothing wrong with a little amusement or appreciating arts like music just for the beauty of the art itself. God created them to be enjoyed for their own sake, as well as to be an instrument of appreciating Him. And we can appreciate Him by appreciating what He gave us to enjoy.

I don't know- maybe I just haven't listened to enough Christian music to see that there's stuff out there I could listen to as I wish. I'm just extrememly skeptical about there being Christian music that I can agree whole-heartedly with. Kind of like how I was with finding a church, (the one God gave me does need a little work- which even the pastor thinks God might use me to do just that for it! :D )

You know, maybe I should do what I should've done long ago and give this issue to God. I haven't as of yet asked Him to show me music He'd agree to me listening to that I'd like. He'll most certainly help me if I ask Him to! *Mental slap on the wrist* Should've done that long ago! :roll: :)
Lady Bee
Acquainted Member

Post by Lady Bee »

My favourite Christian bands and artists are Switchfoot, Superhero and Casting Crowns.

In general I prefer to listen to the more subtle messages rather than the full-on praise songs. It really depends on my mood though. =)

I like to listen to Christian music when I'm not directly 'worshipping'. I often find the lyrics very thought-provoking and inspiring, and it gets me focused on God in my daily life because it's on my mind, which I think is a very good thing!

For example there's one song by Casting Crowns - "If We Are The Body" - that always gets me thinking about my behaviour towards others and how I should try harder and be more loving and warm etc. Yeah.

I like songs that challenge me.