Is Belief in God Delusional or Non-Belief?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Is Belief in God Delusional or Non-Belief?

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:The previous quote does not support your claim. The fact that religion is a common fact for humans does not mean it is unnatural for those for whom it is not a common fact
Let me try get to the heart of your disagreement.

Nature: "existing in or derived from nature; not made or caused..."

Children show a natural inclination towards religious concepts such as mind–body dualism and belief in divine agents (i.e., spirits and God). It doesn't matter if their parents are Atheist or Christian.

If this is true, then does this mean there is a predisposition towards such beliefs in "human nature"? If not, why not?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Non-belief is just based on the person's opinion without any evidence to back it up.
Have you interviewed or even spoken to all non-believers? No. Thus you are not qualified to speak on behalf of others you know nothing about

Ken
I have talked to and have discussed this with many nonbelievers and they all make sure that I realize that they are exempt from needing evidence,because atheism is not making a positive assertion and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. So they admit they have absolutely no evidence behind their non-belief. But my point remains whether you are atheist or agnostic,there is absolutely no evidence behind either opinion. Also over time we have had many discussions on here and you go by your opinion and how you feel about things and you really don't care what other atheists might say. You go by your opinion without evidence. Not trying to be rude to you,but you do.I like to challenge atheists or agnostics to get serious about evidence behind your opinion because until you do you won't be able to tell when you are confronted with evidence because evidence is not important to them,just their opinion. I'm surprised that you are not explaining to us why you are exempt from needing any evidence for your non-belief.
I have always been clear that I have plenty of evidence to support what I believe/do not believe. My evidence may not be up to YOUR satisfaction, but it is definitely up to mine; which is all that is necessary.

Ken
Well whether or not you realize it or not. This is my own original argument against atheism/agnostic and I know it cannot be refuted,only ignored based on their non-belief opinion.
But you can't say there is no evidence; there is! Just evidence you refuse to accept

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:The previous quote does not support your claim. The fact that religion is a common fact for humans does not mean it is unnatural for those for whom it is not a common fact

Children show a natural inclination towards religious concepts such as mind–body dualism and belief in divine agents (i.e., spirits and God). It doesn't matter if their parents are Atheist or Christian.

If this is true, then does this mean there is a predisposition towards such beliefs in "human nature"? If not, why not?
I don't know how much truth there is to that claim; I'm just saying if a child does NOT have such a natural inclination, it doesn't mean there is something wrong with the child, or that the child is purposely ignoring it.

Ken
RickD wrote
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote: Have you interviewed or even spoken to all non-believers? No. Thus you are not qualified to speak on behalf of others you know nothing about

Ken
I have talked to and have discussed this with many nonbelievers and they all make sure that I realize that they are exempt from needing evidence,because atheism is not making a positive assertion and extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. So they admit they have absolutely no evidence behind their non-belief. But my point remains whether you are atheist or agnostic,there is absolutely no evidence behind either opinion. Also over time we have had many discussions on here and you go by your opinion and how you feel about things and you really don't care what other atheists might say. You go by your opinion without evidence. Not trying to be rude to you,but you do.I like to challenge atheists or agnostics to get serious about evidence behind your opinion because until you do you won't be able to tell when you are confronted with evidence because evidence is not important to them,just their opinion. I'm surprised that you are not explaining to us why you are exempt from needing any evidence for your non-belief.
I have always been clear that I have plenty of evidence to support what I believe/do not believe. My evidence may not be up to YOUR satisfaction, but it is definitely up to mine; which is all that is necessary.

Ken
Well whether or not you realize it or not. This is my own original argument against atheism/agnostic and I know it cannot be refuted,only ignored based on their non-belief opinion.
But you can't say there is no evidence; there is! Just evidence you refuse to accept

Ken
OK, Let's go back and forth giving evidence to back up what we accept as our belief/opinion. You go first,because I don't debate one-sided where I'm the only one giving evidence that you ignore. But we can see who has more evidence. So give evidence to back up your opinion that you are not sure if a God exists or not since you are agnostic,or whatever your non-belief opinion is.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:

I don't know how much truth there is to that claim; I'm just saying if a child does NOT have such a natural inclination, it doesn't mean there is something wrong with the child, or that the child is purposely ignoring it.
Well, that is what studies in the realm of cognitive sciences strongly support. It doesn't really seem to be much questioned, that children (and humans as such) naturally carry beliefs associated with God as early as we can tell from studying human cognition.

I'll put to you again, which I hope you'll answer like I've attempted to answer you. Consider feelings of guilt and remorse over doing wrong. Such feelings do not require belief in God. Would you consider someone morally apathetic as having some impairment in their human nature?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

If you have accepted the opinion that you are not sure or do not know if a God exists or not it is imperative that you have evidence behind accepting it. Nobody gets a pass for accepting something no matter what it is.It is every bodies responsibility to make sure that they have accepted the truth and the only way to know truth is evidence.We determine truth based on evidence and not just how we feel about it. All it takes is to get serious about evidence behind what we have accepted and the courage to accept the evidence. And nobody gets a pass whether you outright deny god's exist or not. You do not get to exempt yourself from knowing you have accepted the truth,regardless of what it is.Also arguments against God is not evidence that backs up your non-belief opinion.I'm talking about YOU having evidence that your non-belief opinion is true backed up by evidence that confirms it is true.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Here is even more clarification on my anti-atheist/agnostic argument. Neither opinion has any evidence behind them. But if a person is agnostic? It is only a temporary position to hold to,it is a cop-out to live out your life claiming to be agnostic when so much info is available today. You cannot live out your life as an agnostic and be intellectually honest with yourself.

Take a look at yourself in the mirror and examine your motives because it is only a temporary position to accept. And there is absolutely no evidence behind your opinion. It is limbo-land for you. And if you are atheist? You have absolutely no evidence your opinion is true. Either position you choose shows that you do not take evidence seriously and you are just going on your opinion. There needs to be evidence behind what you accept to live your life by otherwise there is no reason to accept it.Do you just believe anything somebody tells you? No! You want to know if it is true or not,but not if you accept atheism or accept the agnostic opinion.

Stop short changing yourself and say I am going to look into this and see how much evidence is behind what I have accepted and reject opinions you've accepted without any evidence behind it. This means you cannot accept atheism or be an agnostic because they will tell you they have no evidence to back it up. Just do this. I want you to call up as many of your atheist or agnostic friends and ask them for evidence it is true and you'll see that they will explain why they are exempt from needing any evidence and they explain it in a very philosophical way why they are excluded and do not have to have any evidence behind their opinion and you'll know they have absolutely no evidence behind their non-belief opinion and it is just an opinion they have accepted based on arguments against God,which is very easy to do and is something that anybody could do.But is not evidence.

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:

Ken

Ken
OK, Let's go back and forth giving evidence to back up what we accept as our belief/opinion. You go first,because I don't debate one-sided where I'm the only one giving evidence that you ignore. But we can see who has more evidence. So give evidence to back up your opinion that you are not sure if a God exists or not since you are agnostic,or whatever your non-belief opinion is.
Below is some of the evidence I see that tells me Christianity isn’t what you believe it is.
Some of the stories in the Bible like Jonah and the Whale, or Noah’s Ark, or Joshua causing the Sun to sit still during war? Those stories don’t sound realistic to me. And before you go saying all those stories are allegory or just stories designed to make a point; remember Jesus compared his death to Jonah in the Whale (Matthew 12:40) and he also compared his return to Noah’s Ark (Matthew 24:37-39). So if Jesus believed it, so should all Christians.

God is said to be Omniscient, (all knowing) Yet he is known to have exhibited surprise, jealousy, even choosing to change his mind; something flawed humans do because we are NOT omniscient, we continue to learn.
God is said to be Omnipresent, (present everywhere) yet he was able to pass by Moses allowing him only to see his backside; suggesting he was able to go to a place where he was not.
God is said to be  Omnibenovelent, (all good) But when I read about the mistreatment of Job, Adam and Eve, the treatment of the people of Egypt and countless others; that doesn’t sound realistic either.
He is also said to be omnipotent (unlimited power) Yet he allows his enemy (Devil) to have more influence over his children than he does.

It doesn’t make sense to me that he is any of those things because if he were, I believe he would have done things differently. IOW when I read what the Bible says about God, the best of my understanding tells me the Bible is not true, and if the Bible is not true, why would I believe what the Bible describes as God IS God?

Okay; your turn.

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:

Well, that is what studies in the realm of cognitive sciences strongly support.
I've read what you presented and I do not agree it said that. I believe you are making a leap in assumption when you make that claim. I believe your claim is not backed up by the evidence you provided.

Ken
RickD wrote
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote: I have always been clear that I have plenty of evidence to support what I believe/do not believe. My evidence may not be up to YOUR satisfaction, but it is definitely up to mine; which is all that is necessary.

Ken

Ken
Below is some of the evidence I see that tells me Christianity isn’t what you believe it is.
Some of the stories in the Bible like Jonah and the Whale, or Noah’s Ark, or Joshua causing the Sun to sit still during war? Those stories don’t sound realistic to me. And before you go saying all those stories are allegory or just stories designed to make a point; remember Jesus compared his death to Jonah in the Whale (Matthew 12:40) and he also compared his return to Noah’s Ark (Matthew 24:37-39). So if Jesus believed it, so should all Christians.

God is said to be Omniscient, (all knowing) Yet he is known to have exhibited surprise, jealousy, even choosing to change his mind; something flawed humans do because we are NOT omniscient, we continue to learn.
God is said to be Omnipresent, (present everywhere) yet he was able to pass by Moses allowing him only to see his backside; suggesting he was able to go to a place where he was not.
God is said to be  Omnibenovelent, (all good) But when I read about the mistreatment of Job, Adam and Eve, the treatment of the people of Egypt and countless others; that doesn’t sound realistic either.
He is also said to be omnipotent (unlimited power) Yet he allows his enemy (Devil) to have more influence over his children than he does.

It doesn’t make sense to me that he is any of those things because if he were, I believe he would have done things differently. IOW when I read what the Bible says about God, the best of my understanding tells me the Bible is not true, and if the Bible is not true, why would I believe what the Bible describes as God IS God?

Okay; your turn.

Ken
First off.What are you backing up with evidence confirming it is true? Atheist or Agnostic? None of what you posted is evidence either is true and that you should accept it. You are not giving evidence but just explaining things the bible said that you don't understand,but it is not evidence your opinion is true. Also we already know our bible cannot be proven 100% and it requires faith to believe some of it but there is more evidence Christianity is true over any other religion,including atheism or agnosticism. Also the bible will not and does not fully make sense without the Holy Spirit. Do you have the Holy Spirit?

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:

Ken

Okay; your turn.

Ken
abelcainsbrother wrote:First off.What are you backing up with evidence confirming it is true? Atheist or Agnostic? None of what you posted is evidence either is true and that you should accept it. You are not giving evidence but just explaining things the bible said that you don't understand,but it is not evidence your opinion is true.
Atheism is not a position of truth, it is a position of what is NOT the truth. Do you know the difference?
abelcainsbrother wrote:Also we already know our bible cannot be proven 100% and it requires faith to believe some of it but there is more evidence Christianity is true over any other religion.
I don’t believe the other religions either. To compare Christianity to something that equals “nothing” doesn’t get you anywhere
abelcainsbrother wrote:Also the bible will not and does not fully make sense without the Holy Spirit. Do you have the Holy Spirit?
Perhaps that’s why I don’t accept it.

Ken
RickD wrote
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Kenny wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:

Ken

Okay; your turn.

Ken
abelcainsbrother wrote:First off.What are you backing up with evidence confirming it is true? Atheist or Agnostic? None of what you posted is evidence either is true and that you should accept it. You are not giving evidence but just explaining things the bible said that you don't understand,but it is not evidence your opinion is true.
Atheism is not a position of truth, it is a position of what is NOT the truth. Do you know the difference?
abelcainsbrother wrote:Also we already know our bible cannot be proven 100% and it requires faith to believe some of it but there is more evidence Christianity is true over any other religion.
I don’t believe the other religions either. To compare Christianity to something that equals “nothing” doesn’t get you anywhere
abelcainsbrother wrote:Also the bible will not and does not fully make sense without the Holy Spirit. Do you have the Holy Spirit?

Ken
So you just accept things based on how you feel about it regardless of evidence?Which is why you've chosen atheism. How can you know what the truth is when you lower your standards so far low when it comes to evidence to accept atheism? Which has no evidence behind it as you admitted. You are excluding yourself from needing any evidence atheism should be accepted but are only expecting evidence from people who have massive amount of evidence behind their faith than you do with your atheist opinion.

It is good to compare Christianity to others religions in order to realize it has so much more evidence behind it than they do.

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Kenny wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote: But you can't say there is no evidence; there is! Just evidence you refuse to accept

Ken

Okay; your turn.

Ken

Ken
abelcainsbrother wrote: So you just accept things based on how you feel about it regardless of evidence?
Evidence is why I have the opinions that I have
abelcainsbrother wrote: Which is why you've chosen atheism.
Atheism is the default position of theism. Because I don’t accept Theism, I am labeled Atheist.
abelcainsbrother wrote: How can you know what the truth is when you lower your standards so far low when it comes to evidence to accept atheism? Which has no evidence behind it as you admitted.
Again; atheism is the default position. Do you know what that means?

Ken
RickD wrote
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Kenny wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote: But you can't say there is no evidence; there is! Just evidence you refuse to accept

Ken

Okay; your turn.

Ken

Ken
abelcainsbrother wrote: So you just accept things based on how you feel about it regardless of evidence?
Atheism is the default position of theism. Because I don’t accept Theism, I am labeled Atheist.
abelcainsbrother wrote: How can you know what the truth is when you lower your standards so far low when it comes to evidence to accept atheism? Which has no evidence behind it as you admitted.

Ken
Default position = Absolutely no evidence.You are not ready for evidence Christianity is true as long as you accept your default position based on no evidence. You need to get serious about evidence and just repeating why you are excluded from needing to have any evidence just reiterates my point.

Devil Fell for you my friend,he is a liar and the father of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue-wEuRIUPk

Devil Fell

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:

Okay; your turn.

Ken

Ken

Ken
Default position = Absolutely no evidence.
Exactly. Now if you come up with some evidence, feel free to present it. I will either accept it or reject it. Till then, it's been nice discussing with you my friend!

Peace
Ken
RickD wrote