Why is it so difficult to believe in God?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Why is it so difficult to believe in God?

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Ken demanded proof from me while going on his opinion without proof and evidence.It is intellectual dishonesty which is why I demand the same proof and evidence that they do when it comes to God,they ignore our evidence while having none just going on their opinion or non-peer reviewed scientific ideas in some cases.
Perhaps you should go back and read what was said. I was very clear that it was NOT my opinion. I was just giving examples of what a person COULD believe. You made a claim, so I asked you to back it up. I have nothing to back up because I never made any claims.

Ken
I never accused you of taking a stand on anything. I know you refuse to say what you believe because you think it gives you a pass when it comes to proof and evidence,but it does'nt. If you reject the idea God caused the singularity or Dark Matter then you are required to have proof and evidence why you disagree. Nobody gets a pass when it comes to proof and evidence,even if you think somehow you are excused,you are not. So stop hiding and start looking for evidence and proof for what you believe and you'll see you don't have any,perhaps its why you won't and just choose to go on your opinions.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Ken demanded proof from me while going on his opinion without proof and evidence.It is intellectual dishonesty which is why I demand the same proof and evidence that they do when it comes to God,they ignore our evidence while having none just going on their opinion or non-peer reviewed scientific ideas in some cases.
Perhaps you should go back and read what was said. I was very clear that it was NOT my opinion. I was just giving examples of what a person COULD believe. You made a claim, so I asked you to back it up. I have nothing to back up because I never made any claims.

Ken
I never accused you of taking a stand on anything. I know you refuse to say what you believe because you think it gives you a pass when it comes to proof and evidence,but it does'nt. If you reject the idea God caused the singularity or Dark Matter then you are required to have proof and evidence why you disagree. Nobody gets a pass when it comes to proof and evidence,even if you think somehow you are excused,you are not. So stop hiding and start looking for evidence and proof for what you believe and you'll see you don't have any,perhaps its why you won't and just choose to go on your opinions.
The fact that I don't claim God, dark matter, (or even Santa Clause for that matter) as an explanation to the Universe, my reasons are sufficient for me to believe; you or others may reject my reasons but since I am not trying to convince you or anyone else that they aren't responsible I have nothing to prove to you guys; the only proof I need is to myself. You on the other hand Made a specific claim. Now if you expect me to take your claim seriously, you need to back it up. Nobody who makes a claim gets a pass when it comes to proof and evidence; even if you somehow think you are excused, you are not. So stop hiding and start providing some evidence and proof for what you've claimed or accept the fact that your claim will be rejected, and rightly so.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

So Ken, the sperm and the egg.

The sperm and egg originate from an intelligent source, so again, where is there an example of intelligence coming from non intelligence?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Storyteller wrote:So Ken, the sperm and the egg.

The sperm and egg originate from an intelligent source, so again, where is there an example of intelligence coming from non intelligence?
I cannot think of one. But does that mean it doesn't' exist, or that it's impossible?

Ken
RickD wrote
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Kenny wrote:

I cannot think of one. But does that mean it doesn't' exist, or that it's impossible?

Ken
Not at all, but it does mean you can`t prove it, doesn`t it?
So it`s something you choose to believe.

Would you then concede that it is, at least possible, that intelligence can only spring from intelligence?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Storyteller wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken

Would you then concede that it is, at least possible, that intelligence can only spring from intelligence?
When it comes to that which I don't know about, I concede the answer could be yes or no, I make no claim either way.

Ken
RickD wrote
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Kenny wrote:When it comes to that which I don't know about, I concede the answer could be yes or no, I make no claim either way.
Now that's an intelligent answer. I make no claim where it came from either. :mrgreen:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Kenny wrote:
Storyteller wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken

When it comes to that which I don't know about, I concede the answer could be yes or no, I make no claim either way.

Ken
So then, it is possible that God does indeed exist, and is the Creator of all this, yes?

(Admittedly, it`s also possible that God doesn`t exist and all this is just random)

I saw a documentary with prof Brian Cox last night, about evolution, natural selection and so on. Utterly fascinating.
The combinations of mutations possible number bigger than all the atoms in the universe appaerntly. So the chances of evolution being random are so infitisimal (how do you spell that?) to be impossible.
So...
if it isn`t random then surely it stands to reason it must be down to design, so who, or what, did the designing?
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
The fact that I don't claim God, dark matter, (or even Santa Clause for that matter) as an explanation to the Universe, my reasons are sufficient for me to believe; you or others may reject my reasons but since I am not trying to convince you or anyone else that they aren't responsible I have nothing to prove to you guys; the only proof I need is to myself. You on the other hand Made a specific claim. Now if you expect me to take your claim seriously, you need to back it up. Nobody who makes a claim gets a pass when it comes to proof and evidence; even if you somehow think you are excused, you are not. So stop hiding and start providing some evidence and proof for what you've claimed or accept the fact that your claim will be rejected, and rightly so.

Ken
Yeah but just like always I give you evidence that you ignore while you have no evidence and instead go on your opinion. Your opinion without evidence trumps the evidence and reasons how we know things have a cause in our world and universe. You are hiding behind your opinion while having no evidence instead of looking for evidence and letting the chips fall where they may based on evidence. Your opinion without evidence does not trump evidence and reason like you think but you willingly ignore reality and take the long way around and I hope oneday you will start to value evidence like you do when it comes to God yet not your opinions. You only want proof and evidence when it comes to God,but not when it comes to your opinions.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Yeah but just like always I give you evidence that you ignore while you have no evidence and instead go on your opinion.
I never ignored your evidence, I just didn't agree with it.

Ken
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Yeah but just like always I give you evidence that you ignore while you have no evidence and instead go on your opinion.

Ken
Shhhhh Kenny y:-$
We like ACB to think we don't ignore his "evidence". :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:

Ken
Our faith is not blind.

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:

Ken
I dont ignore it, as, you know, such. I see it for what it is, then ignore it.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:

Ken
So, you don't ignore it but you do ignore it. :swhat:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:

Ken
So, you don't ignore it but you do ignore it. :swhat:
I suspect you are rather like that.

Don't ignore mail until you see that it's junk. Then you ignore it.

Maybe even the phone, when its a robo call?

Possibly you eat, then you don't eat. Sleep, then don't sleep.

Read a ab-evidence, then ignore it.

No?