Death Penalty

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.

Do you support the death penalty?

Yes
33%
No
50%
Unsure
17%

Total votes: 24

bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by bizzt »

ochotseat wrote:
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:So, God's an evil jerk ochoseat? Gosh, you don't get it, do you. God made everything for a good purpose. Man, though, uses it for evil. Cain killed his brother with an improvised weapon, probably a club or something, I don't think it says what exactly.
Sounds like you don't get it. I'm sure God would approve us following his commandment by building objects to punish people who hurt us and send them where they belong.
That is Truly Sad Logic. God Created Trees. Man carves Tree into Bat and beats a person to Death. HOW IS GOD responsible for this? He is not it is MAN's SIN that is responsible for the act not the initial Creator of raw Material. :roll:
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:The death penalty is supposed to be used only for murderers with at least two eyewitnesses, which would clear many people. People don't kill in large crowds. Second, God never said anything about devising torture devices. It only says to put them to death..
Eat your heart out...
http://www.hillnews.com/york/052103.aspx
By Byron York
In a new Gallup poll, 74 percent of those surveyed say they favor the death penalty for people convicted of murder. Just two years ago, in May 2001, support stood at 65 percent, its lowest point in more than two decades>>
How do you define torturing devices? Lethan injection contraptions? So you're against torturing criminals to obtain information that can save millions of people? :shock:
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:I'd much rather listen to what God says about Himself, rather than hear what you think God thinks. And for clarification, I'm half pro, half anti death penalty. If you get two witnesses to a murder, death penalty. If not, no.

You can't be half pro and half anti-death penalty. Either you are or aren't. Two witnesses? That's unreasonable. No one saw Bin Laden directly murder thousands on 9/11. Should he not be executed? :roll:
bizzt wrote: That is Truly Sad Logic. God Created Trees. Man carves Tree into Bat and beats a person to Death. HOW IS GOD responsible for this? He is not it is MAN's SIN that is responsible for the act not the initial Creator of raw Material. .

You are sad. You're saying most Christian Americans, including most Protestant ministers by the way, are wrong in their support of the death penalty. Supporting criminals over law-abiding citizens is not something to brag about. :)
Last edited by ochotseat on Wed May 11, 2005 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

We're on death, not extracting information! If you want to, start a new thread. Yes, I can be half and half. I'm against the current standards, which do not include the two witness rule. I'm also for it since it says to put murderers with 2 witnesses to death. Also, bin Laden didn't kill those people, the Muslims on the planes did.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Also, with bin Laden, what would be the worst form of punishment? Letting him rot in jail, or killing him. Also, this probably shouldn't be here as it's a military conflict, not a civil problem.

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

ochotseat wrote: You are sad. You're saying most Christian Americans, including most Protestant ministers by the way, are wrong in their support of the death penalty. Supporting criminals over law-abiding citizens is not something to brag about. :)
Did you not read a word I said :? I did not even talk about the Death Penalty. In fact I am in support of the Death Penalty!!! Your Logic Behind God Indirectly Creating the Electric Chair is sad. It was not a Comment against you at all!! BTW Thanks for the nice "You are Sad" comment! :x
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Also, bin Laden didn't kill those people, the Muslims on the planes did.
So Bin Laden should not be held responsible at all for engineering the plan and for managing an international terrorist ring? What a perverse thing to say. According to you, that means Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Pol Pot, Amin, Castro, Hussein, etc. are not responsible for millions of deaths at all. :roll:
Your state carries out more executions than any other state every year. I suggest you not run for office in your state, because you'll get few votes if any. :D
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote: Also, with bin Laden, what would be the worst form of punishment? Letting him rot in jail, or killing him. Also, this probably shouldn't be here as it's a military conflict, not a civil problem.
Killing him is more rational (eye for an eye), since keeping him alive his whole life with taxpayer's hard earned money is immoral to start.
It's a civil problem, because it affects homeland security and 9/11 was directed toward civilians. Get it through your thick head.
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

bizzt wrote:Did you not read a word I said :? I did not even talk about the Death Penalty. In fact I am in support of the Death Penalty!!! Your Logic Behind God Indirectly Creating the Electric Chair is sad. It was not a Comment against you at all!! BTW Thanks for the nice "You are Sad" comment! :x
Another pitiable comment of yours. God created us, our inventiveness, and anything that exists, directly or indirectly.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

ochotseat wrote:
bizzt wrote:Did you not read a word I said :? I did not even talk about the Death Penalty. In fact I am in support of the Death Penalty!!! Your Logic Behind God Indirectly Creating the Electric Chair is sad. It was not a Comment against you at all!! BTW Thanks for the nice "You are Sad" comment! :x
Another pitiable comment of yours. God created us, our inventiveness, and anything that exists, directly or indirectly.
However even if he created our inventiveness it does not mean that he created or Wanted US to create for that matter Nuclear Bombs, Guns, etc... It is through our Sin or defiance of God that we created those things to Kill other Humans.

Thanks
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

bizzt wrote:
However even if he created our inventiveness it does not mean that he created or Wanted US to create for that matter Nuclear Bombs, Guns, etc... It is through our Sin or defiance of God that we created those things to Kill other Humans.

Thanks
So now you admit that God created everything in some form or another? Good. :wink:
In terms of human sin leading to negative inventions/things, God allows the Devil to tempt us to test us.
Some ignorant people have stated that Jesus would oppose the death penalty in all circumstances. Can they say that for sure? No. Does the Bible state that the death penalty is permissible in certain situations? Yes.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

ochotseat wrote:
bizzt wrote:

Thanks
So now you admit that God created everything in some form or another? Good. :wink:
In terms of human sin leading to negative inventions/things, God allows the Devil to tempt us to test us.
Some ignorant people have stated that Jesus would oppose the death penalty in all circumstances. Can they say that for sure? No. Does the Bible state that the death penalty is permissible in certain situations? Yes.
Not exactly but we will agree to Disagree as long as the End Result gives the same Fruit :wink:
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

bizzt wrote: Not exactly but we will agree to Disagree as long as the End Result gives the same Fruit :wink:
Maybe it's not really an issue for you since your country has long abolished it.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

ochotseat wrote:
bizzt wrote: Not exactly but we will agree to Disagree as long as the End Result gives the same Fruit :wink:
Maybe it's not really an issue for you since your country has long abolished it.
True Enough but I think Canada should bring it back but that is just my thought! :wink:
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

bizzt wrote: True Enough but I think Canada should bring it back but that is just my thought! :wink:
Though other provinces may not approve, yours (Alberta) probably would, since it's the most conservative province in your country. That's probably due to it being a large petroleum-producing and agricultural province.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

ochotseat wrote:
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Also, bin Laden didn't kill those people, the Muslims on the planes did.
So Bin Laden should not be held responsible at all for engineering the plan and for managing an international terrorist ring? What a perverse thing to say. According to you, that means Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Pol Pot, Amin, Castro, Hussein, etc. are not responsible for millions of deaths at all. :roll:
Your state carries out more executions than any other state every year. I suggest you not run for office in your state, because you'll get few votes if any. :D
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote: Also, with bin Laden, what would be the worst form of punishment? Letting him rot in jail, or killing him. Also, this probably shouldn't be here as it's a military conflict, not a civil problem.
Killing him is more rational (eye for an eye), since keeping him alive his whole life with taxpayer's hard earned money is immoral to start.
It's a civil problem, because it affects homeland security and 9/11 was directed toward civilians. Get it through your thick head.
You're putting words into my mouth. I said that's more of a military conflict, not a civil one (with laden). Grow up or something.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:
ochotseat wrote:
You're putting words into my mouth. I said that's more of a military conflict, not a civil one (with laden). Grow up or something.
If Bin Laden is masterminding and funding an international network geared toward attacking our country and civilians, I definitely agree with President Bush that its a civil matter as well. Dude, you were trying to deflect blame from Bin Laden, remember? We won't agree on this issue, so we might as well let the Bible and Constitution decide, which is kind of what we have now. :)