The biblical flood date

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: The biblical flood date

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:So Audie
What IS best.
You Still apparently feel that God should be blamed for destroying the lives of horribly evil people? Why blame God? Because He created people with the freedom of choice / with Choice comes consequences or rewards For those choices. When people Choose to do the evil and they've been warned about the consequences and Still continue, well, the end result Probably Won't be pretty.
The same thing holds true Today -- we Continually do the same thing They did -- we have Gods' warning about the results Of our sinfulness. Yet, we get mad at God for even suggesting an everlasting time in hell ---- well, we Are the sinners and He Has provided a way to stay out of hell. So why don't we simply accept His way of staying out?

It was a mild effort at humour, claiming I am not in the least bit racist.

And suggesting that I personally am best.

In fact, one of my flaws is that I do have some racist feelings. My brain can go one way gut goes another.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

Audie -- we seem to be side-stepping the question -- Biblical flood and all.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

Jac3510 wrote:
Audie wrote:Not me. I know what's best.
Of course. You're answer is always best. It's a gender thing. I can say that, because I'm a happily married man. Were I not happily married, I couldn't say it, because not saying it woulld be the direct cause of me not being happily married. And were I not married I couldn't say it, because unless and until you live with one who always knows what is best, you cannot appreciate the gravity of this truth. But since I am, in fact, happily married, I can say with authority on slightly less than Scripture on the one hand and you on the other, that you certainly know what is best.

That's why I was correcting Rick. Trying to help him out, you see--maybe he will be more happily married now. ;)

Jac3510 -- sounds like you've learned how to be 'happily married'. You give your wife the credit for always being right. And she, in turn, will appreciate your wisdom. ;)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

The year of the biblical flood was 2348 BC.

I got that from the answersingenesis site. And since they claim they're interpretation is equal to scripture and can't be wrong, that date must be correct.

In fact, as we speak, I'm betting my life savings* on two bets that someone was foolish enough to bet me on. The date of the global flood, and Ted Cruz being next POTUS.

Just as God told Cruz's father that Ted will be next president, God also told Ken Ham that his interpretation is the only correct one. Basically, if AIG says it, I believe it, that settles it.

* my life savings isn't what it used to be since I bet the farm on Harold Camping's prophecies.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:Audie -- we seem to be side-stepping the question -- Biblical flood and all.

We can be friends, but I doubt we can ever see this the same way.

My deal is simple. The flood is fiction, demonstrably so; as such, to say your God or any other
actually did such a horrendous thing is untrue. You can work out the implications ss you
like.

There is no sidestep in that.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Audie: The flood is fiction, demonstrably so;
Hello, Audie. I hope your schooling has ended well.

As for the flood itself, and for arguments sake, let's say the flood story is based upon a true event, perhaps not global and more of a regional nature. Do you rule it out totally based upon it happening at a time that young earth creationist suppose. I mean, what if the flood occurred MUCH earlier than YECs would say - are you open to that - at least as folklore based upon a real event? Because if the flood is merely regional AND is considerably older, that's not as easy to disprove. Or do you believe NO flood, even regional and far older, is impossible?
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Philip wrote:

As for the flood itself, and for arguments sake, let's say the flood story is based upon a true event, perhaps not global and more of a regional nature. Do you rule it out totally based upon it happening at a time that young earth creationist suppose. I mean, what if the flood occurred MUCH earlier than YECs would say - are you open to that - at least as folklore based upon a real event? Because if the flood is merely regional AND is considerably older, that's not as easy to disprove. Or do you believe NO flood, even regional and far older, is impossible?

Floods, horrendous ones are a historical fact.
So it is entirely reasonable that the story has some basis in fact.

The bible story seems to have gotten better as it was retold.

Why is it even in the Bible? Seriously. Why do you think? Is there an
accepted reason for it not being seen for what it is, apocryphal?
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Philip wrote:

Maybe I will look back with fond memories, but mostly it was an ordeal.

There were great moments, and standing on the stage, then being
in the group piped out, terrific! Thanks for asking.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Yes, Audie, I'm sure finishing school is much a relief! Now for the REST of your story, eh? Any job offers?

OK, and speaking of floods, here's a great ancient flood along the Yellow River in China currently being analyzed: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... s-ago.html And it was previously thought to have been considerably earlier.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Philip wrote:Yes, Audie, I'm sure finishing school is much a relief! Now for the REST of your story, eh? Any job offers?

OK, and speaking of floods, here's a great ancient flood along the Yellow River in China currently being analyzed: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... s-ago.html And it was previously thought to have been considerably earlier.
The job part was easy in the sense that good grades are easy. Get one, get the other, via what
Theodore Roosevelt woukd term "by dint of great exertion".

Saw that about the Yellow River. I am so glad I was not born even a day earier,
China has been a hard place, esp. for women.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
Philip wrote:Yes, Audie, I'm sure finishing school is much a relief! Now for the REST of your story, eh? Any job offers?

The job part was easy in the sense that good grades are easy. Get one, get the other, via what

China has been a hard place for women? How dare you say that?!?!?

China is the bastion of freedom for all humanity. They even allow a second child now!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/30/wo ... .html?_r=0
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

China has been a hard place for women? How dare you say that?!?!?

China is the bastion of freedom for all humanity. They even allow a second child now!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/30/wo ... .html?_r=0
There are a lot of things about China that do not please me, but foot binding
at least, is out. I missed that, or it missed me!

My life is infinitely better than ever it coukd have been in pre revolution days, at least outside
of HK. (Thanks, British Imperialists, you did good despite yourselves)
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

And for those who don't know it, the ancient great flood of China also served as the subject of one of the most talked about and most important novels of the 20th century!

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

I did not know that.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

And, never eat yellow snow.

I. P. Freeley haha. Almost as funny as Hugh Jass, or Hugh Farey.

-Edward R Murrow