Catholicism Questions

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Catholicism Questions

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:She had an influence on Him in His human form.
Besides semantics, that's what I'm saying. That's why the term, "Mother of God" just doesn't sit right with me.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

How about this for an idea?

Marys only sin was original sin. God chose her to bear His Son, God Himself, as a human. Maybe she was as close to living like Christ, Godly as any of us dream to
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:
Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:If "Mother of God" is the proper, scriptural term, why is it never in scripture? Instead, the term, "Mother of Christ" or "Mother of Jesus" is used.
For the same reason 'Christ is God' is not found in scripture but we know it's true.
Sorry for my slowness today, but I'm still not seeing it.
What's not to see Rick, neither 'Mother of God' nor 'Christ is God' is found in scripture. We know Christ is God (even though the term does not appear in scripture). Why is it so strange that 'Mother of God' can also be true even though the term does not appear in scripture or that 'Trinity' is true even though it does not appear in scripture?
Last edited by Byblos on Thu May 12, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Storyteller wrote:How about this for an idea?

Marys only sin was original sin. God chose her to bear His Son, God Himself, as a human. Maybe she was as close to living like Christ, Godly as any of us dream to
Now you're dangerously approaching Catholic territory. Proceed at your own peril. :mrgreen:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

There's not even a consensus that nestorius even believed the heresy he was accused of. If he didn't, then Christotokos may be correct.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:There's not even a consensus that nestorius even believed the heresy he was accused of. If he didn't, then Christotokos may be correct.
Any time anyone tried to separate Jesus the God from Jesus the man they have fallen in one heresy or another.

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Byblos wrote:

Now you're dangerously approaching Catholic territory. Proceed at your own peril. :mrgreen:
All by myself :)

Okay..

Communion, why do I have to be a practising Catholic?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:
Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:If "Mother of God" is the proper, scriptural term, why is it never in scripture? Instead, the term, "Mother of Christ" or "Mother of Jesus" is used.
For the same reason 'Christ is God' is not found in scripture but we know it's true.
Sorry for my slowness today, but I'm still not seeing it.
What's not to see Rick, neither 'Mother of God' nor 'Christ is God' is found in scripture. We know Christ is God (even though the term does not appear in scripture). Why is it so strange that 'Mother of God' can also be true even though the term does not appear in scripture or that 'Trinity' is true even though it does not appear in scripture?
To me it's different. "Mother of Jesus" is different than "Mother of God". And only the former is in scripture.

I realize that a word doesn't have to be in scripture to be biblical. Like Trinity. It seems to me that if a title of someone is true, like "Mother of God", it would have to be clear in scripture. At least as clear as "Mother of Jesus", which IS in scripture.

Perhaps with more studying I'll see what you and Jac are saying. I just don't see it now.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
RickD wrote:There's not even a consensus that nestorius even believed the heresy he was accused of. If he didn't, then Christotokos may be correct.
Any time anyone tried to separate Jesus the God from Jesus the man they have fallen in one heresy or another.
And you're sure Nestorius did that? There's no consensus that he did.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos is right. That sounds too Catholic.

I bet you can't make the argument from scripture that Mary was without sin. No cheating by using Catholic doctrine. Scripture only.

-Edward R Murrow

Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

But Christ is God.

Why is it different?

Acknowledging her as the Mother of God doesnt mean you acknowledge her importance in Catholicism.

Give me five mins then, will see.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

RickD wrote:To me it's different. "Mother of Jesus" "Jesus is the Christ" is different than "Mother of God" "Jesus is God." And only the former is in scripture.

I realize that a word doesn't have to be in scripture to be biblical. Like Trinity. It seems to me that if a title of someone is true, like "Mother of God" "Jesus is God", it would have to be clear in scripture. At least as clear as "Mother of Jesus" "Jesus is the Christ", which IS in scripture.

Perhaps with more studying I'll see what you and Jac are saying. I just don't see it now.
Maybe that will help.

In the meantime, I'll just suggest that truth doesn't ask you to be comfortable or easy with it. It just asks for acceptance. Comfort and ease often comes, if it comes at all, later. But you've got it backwards if you want to become comfortable with truth before you can accept it.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:
RickD wrote:To me it's different. "Mother of Jesus" "Jesus is the Christ" is different than "Mother of God" "Jesus is God." And only the former is in scripture.

I realize that a word doesn't have to be in scripture to be biblical. Like Trinity. It seems to me that if a title of someone is true, like "Mother of God" "Jesus is God", it would have to be clear in scripture. At least as clear as "Mother of Jesus" "Jesus is the Christ", which IS in scripture.

Maybe that will help.

In the meantime, I'll just suggest that truth doesn't ask you to be comfortable or easy with it. It just asks for acceptance. Comfort and ease often comes, if it comes at all, later. But you've got it backwards if you want to become comfortable with truth before you can accept it.
No Jac. Crossing out and changing what I said doesn't help.

I'm not usually uncomfortable with theological truth. I have no bias one way or another with this. Even though I know if believing that "Mother of God" is biblical doesn't mean I have to believe in the Catholic Mary, the term still didn't seem right. And usually when something doesn't seem right, it isn't. At least when it comes to something pretty basic in theology. I didn't understand divine simplicity, yet there was no feeling of uneasiness that came with it. I just didn't understand it. I'm getting the same feeling of uneasiness that I get when someone tries to tell me that the prosperity gospel is biblical, even though it's not explicit in scripture. It's a discernment kind of uneasiness.

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

RickD wrote:And usually when something doesn't seem right, it isn't. At least when it comes to something pretty basic in theology.
That just doesn't seem right. ;)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

If Mary wasn't the mother of God, who was she the mother of?