Manna

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Manna

Post by 1over137 »

Ok, then it does not help to know what exactly was the manna. Is that correct?
Similarly, it may be hard to believe Jesus raised from the dead; every miracle in the Bible, basically.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
stuartcr
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Post by stuartcr »

No, it does help me to know what manna was. Yes, I have a very hard time believing in miracles. It is equally, if not harder, for me to believe in the resurrection of the dead.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think that to focus on what manna may have been and not on the point of the story ( it was an act/test of faith for the Israelites) is a mistake.
It was a once in a lifetime event that God gave, we are not suppose at look at it as a "what is this exactly" thing but as a "this is a statement from God" thing.
Like the resurrection, we are NOT suppose to "get it", it isn't a natural event with either a precedent or something that will become a regular occurrence,'It was a once and once only event UNTIL the final resurrection of all.
To look at these events in any other way not only belittles them but is also bad theology.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

I do not think it is a mistake, as I would like to know what it was/is. I am not worried about bad theology.

If we are not supposed to 'get' events that are not natural, what keeps us from believing in all sorts of unnatural events?
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

stuartcr wrote:No, it does help me to know what manna was. Yes, I have a very hard time believing in miracles. It is equally, if not harder, for me to believe in the resurrection of the dead.
Was thinking further on this.
Well, you would like to know more about the manna and I would like to know more about the universe and its laws.
And I now find it very hard to believe they are not created by God. Studying them one just wonders how they are "written". And even wonder about greater law/laws behind them that leads to our current laws with our current understanding.
It is amazing.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

I think there's a bit of a difference between understanding the universe and it's laws, and trying to figure out what it was that fell from the sky for people to eat...but that's just me.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

What difference does it make, what manna was? If God needed us to know what manna was, He would have told us. It was what God provided to the Israelites, for food.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

stuartcr wrote:Mere bread coming from the sky would be equally hard to believe.
Is there anything that would make you think it wasn't so hard to believe? Because I have a feeling knowing manna's molecular structure ain't gonna do it either.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

stuartcr wrote:I think there's a bit of a difference between understanding the universe and it's laws, and trying to figure out what it was that fell from the sky for people to eat...but that's just me.
Yes, there is a difference and what manna may or may not have been is irrelevant.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

stuartcr wrote:I do not think it is a mistake, as I would like to know what it was/is. I am not worried about bad theology.

If we are not supposed to 'get' events that are not natural, what keeps us from believing in all sorts of unnatural events?
When discussing theological things, ie: what the bible says, you should be worried about bad theology, juts like when discussing science one should be worried about bad science.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Byblos wrote:
Is there anything that would make you think it wasn't so hard to believe? Because I have a feeling knowing manna's molecular structure ain't gonna do it either.
Identifying what it was/is, would make it easier to believe for me.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

PaulSacramento wrote:
stuartcr wrote:I think there's a bit of a difference between understanding the universe and it's laws, and trying to figure out what it was that fell from the sky for people to eat...but that's just me.
Yes, there is a difference and what manna may or may not have been is irrelevant.
It is not irrelevant to me, that is why I asked.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

stuartcr wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Before you said:
So, if it was bread coming from the UFO, would that be easier to believe?

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

stuartcr wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Fair enough. Here's a recipe then (from here )
Buckwheat Manna
You can dehydrate this if you have food dehydrator with square trays, such as an Excalibur Dehydrator. This is what I use. Otherwise, you can do this in the oven at a very low temperature. Dehydrating will retain the maximum amount of nutrients and the living enzymes. In other words, it will be raw. Using the oven will also produce a crispy and healthy cereal.

2 cups buckwheat groats, soaked in water for 4 hours
3/4 cup honey (or more, if desired)
2 teaspoons sea salt

Drain and rinse the soaked buckwheat groats well. Add all three ingredients to a food processor and process for about 10 seconds. You do not want a paste, but it should be well combined and soupy in texture. If you do not have a food processor you can pulse this in a blender or just skip this step and your manna will be a littler chunkier.

To dehydrate:
Spread mixture onto two Teflex-lined dehyrator sheets (I use parchment paper). Dehydrate overnight at 110 degrees. Flip and continue dehydrating for a few more hours.

To bake:
Line a 12×18 baking sheet with parchment paper leaving a couple inches hanging over on the short sides (this will give you something to pull on to get your dried manna out in one sheet). Pour the mixture onto the pan and spread it out, covering the entire pan. Bake at the lowest temperature setting your oven will go (mine is 170) for 2-3 hours. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn. You want it to be completely dry like granola.

When the mixture is dry and crunchy, break it up into smaller pieces and store in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Eat as a snack by itself or pour milk over it for a healthy bowl of cereal.
Last edited by Byblos on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Why do miracles need a naturalistic explanation?

Do you need a naturalistic explanation for the virgin birth of Christ?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony