Praying

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Praying

Post by Nessa »

i wish my prayer life was more like that....i find i dont pray because i find it frustrating....i like to hear someone talk back....and to feel like im not the only one in the room...i know what you mean bout not wanting it to feel forced..... and praying feels forced for me....but i think the real problem is this... i dont believe it makes a difference.

i believe when others pray it can sometimes make a difference though. esp prayers in the bible
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

Why don`t you believe it makes a difference? What kind of difference? Do you mean like when you pray for someone to get better?

I think prayer is such a personal thing Nessa, it`s just a way of communicating with God.

I love empty churches for this, I`ll just sit for half an hour or so, thinking and just feeling, just being with God.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

doesnt make a difference in changing the circumstances and doesnt make a difference to God if i pray...

know what you mean bout empty churches....always seem to be lot of them on tv....the one person goes in...completely empty :lol:
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I rarely pray asking for things unless I'm at my wits end.

At this part of my life I have grown a tendency to just vent to and even at God.
I've always been told that's a "no no". But, in my own personal life, it has sometimes been the occasions that I've been angered at God, or just flat out demanded that He do something, that I actually see some movement. Maybe that's why many prayers go unanswered? Because they're often so sterile, emotionless and really just mere words rolling off the tongue.
I think that is actually what He likes. He likes us raw. He can work with us then. And He has broad shoulders.

There is no fixed rule though. None I've found. God moves when He believes its best.
That's why I rarely ask for things, but I'll definitely make it known to God how I feel about things.
All this is making me feel strange now. Like I'm revealing too much about myself.
It's something I don't normally talk about.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Sometimes just knowing someone is praying for you changes the circumstances, might not change the outcome but it can make the world of difference knowing someone cares.

Why do you think it doesn`t make a difference to God?

Empty churches have always appealed to me, it`s when they fill up with people I get edgy. I find them incredibly soothing.

Just read your post before submitting this K and I have to say I agree with everything you`ve said.

I don`t think God minds if we vent or get angry at Him, like you say He has broad shoulders annd I think He would rather see us angry, hurt, confused, whatever it is rather than just meekly reciting words.
I thought I was weird, thought maybe it was just me that talks to God like this so I`m glad you`ve shared.
Last edited by Storyteller on Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote: All this is making me feel strange now. Like I'm revealing too much about myself.
why dont you normally talk about it? are you uncomfortable letting people know whats beneath the surface?
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

story teller...maybe it stems from the belief that it doesnt make a difference to God cos he doesnt care bout me. i know he does on a intellectual level i think ...head knowledge not heart
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

I get ya!

So tell Him that.

I do understand where you`re coming from. I started a thread a while ago on why couldn`tI hear God. I knew He was there, I just never seemed to get anything back. I prayed, I read and I kept asking why.
I have been chatting to God a lot recently, I`m leaning on Him to overcome my demons (most of which are covered in my journey thread) and He is definitely there Nessa. I know He is. I`ve actually felt Him. A physical presence.

Just have faith.
Talk to Him, and watch and listen for Him.

You will get your answers.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Storyteller wrote:I get ya!

So tell Him that.

I do understand where you`re coming from. I started a thread a while ago on why couldn`tI hear God. I knew He was there, I just never seemed to get anything back. I prayed, I read and I kept asking why.
I have been chatting to God a lot recently, I`m leaning on Him to overcome my demons (most of which are covered in my journey thread) and He is definitely there Nessa. I know He is. I`ve actually felt Him. A physical presence.

Just have faith.

you are really great to talk with :D ....gonna go read ur journey page
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Nessa wrote:
Storyteller wrote:I get ya!

So tell Him that.

Just have faith.

you are really great to talk with :D ....gonna go read ur journey page
y>:D<

Hope you`ll still say that after reading it :mrgreen:
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

of course... i like knowing what makes people tick....especially if its a bomb :shock:
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote: All this is making me feel strange now. Like I'm revealing too much about myself.
why dont you normally talk about it? are you uncomfortable letting people know whats beneath the surface?
:poke:
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote:
Some people counsellor. ;)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Some people counsellor. ;)
i charge per post ..extra for pms y:-B
Nicki

Post by Nicki »

Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:so are you saying you just think thoughts and cos God knows them there is nothing else really to say?
And to answer the other way, I don't "just think thoughts" but yes I do have thought-prayers if you will.
It could be while reading this or that and then say to God, "Really, are we that stupid? Help me with the right words to at least move them a step along." Or, if I experience joy at hearing something good, maybe some answered prayer I express joy to God. Or if something bad happens I might be like "I don't understand, but ok God."

These are normally more in the moment, with thoughts, talking "to myself/to God" inwardly if you will.
I see them as prayers but not like we're normally taught in church.

I cherish such more than repetitive prayers often scheduled say before some shut eye.
Such I cannot do. It's not me, and they'll end up insincere if I try.
I'm kind of the same. I used to enjoy bedtime prayer after Bible reading but I don't get around to sitting down or kneeling and 'really' praying much these days. It's good to be in communication with God through the day though - at least sometimes I am. I can't really pray just with thoughts though - my thoughts won't work nicely for me like that (and it might feel that I wasn't really praying but just thinking) so I have to whisper or something!