Christians: Beware of Mitt Romney!

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Christians: Beware of Mitt Romney!

Post by RickD »

So, for (ONLY) those here that are professing Christians - GIVEN A CHOICE between two comparable candidates with good track records and acceptable (political) values, and only one of which is a TRUE Christian (in heart and deed) and the other is of a non-Christian faith or is an agnostic or atheist, would you not find the man (or woman) of Christian faith to much more desirable? Does not a candidate's faith matter to you, all other things being acceptable and relatively equal?
I would question the assertion that he/she is a true Christian if elected. I agree with jlay here:
The only people who will make it to legitimate candidacy are those who have manipulated, wrangled, and cut throats on their way up the ladder.
would a "true" Christian do that? Would he compromise his faith, so to speak, just for the presidency?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

would a "true" Christian do that? Would he compromise his faith, so to speak, just for the presidency?
Well, I would hope not. Certainly many would. But in your cynicism - and certainly I share it to a degree - wouldn't you agree that SOMEONE has to lead. Our democracy has strong Christian origins and influences. It's probably the best political system earth has to offer. And there's never going to be a perfect human being who hasn't compromised or made mistakes - be they a president or a brick layer. But I do believe one can do his best to be a Christian within our system, that is imperfect, and in which there are abundant negative forces, influences and temptations. Over the 200 years or so, we've has 4-5 very good presidents, yet none were without their flaws. But I agree, it is very difficult to remain independent of those power brokers that help get one to high office. This is where I think party politics needs tremendous reforming. A Joe Blow can't just run for president - not credibly, anyway.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

I do not think a demonic book could create such wonderful people......

It says some wack thing sure, so does the bible even in context. That one hosea verse says to rip out a pregnant womens child. Now while that is viewed from a 21st century standpoint and we not worry about other tribes exterminating us, it still could be seen as "demonic" from a buddhist point of view.

The book of mormon can seriously not be that bad, we have had so few instances when so called "extremist" mormons emerge.

Personally I like perry, not really a huge fan of romneys, but really romney still holds alot of our christian beliefs at heart.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Murray, lots of people share the same things Christians do but that doesn't make them Christians. Even the most vile tyrants and dictators as well as atheists and agnostics love their children and often show kindnesses to those they like - but these good deeds do not make them Christians. Make no mistake about it, Mormons like Romney ARE NOT CHRISTIANS.

Sampling of Mormon beliefs:

God the father used to be a man on another planet, and he became a God by following the laws and ordinances of that God on that planet and came to this world with his wife (she became a goddess), and that they produce a spirit offspring in heaven. These spirit offspring, which includes Jesus, the devil, and you and me, are all brothers and sisters born in the preexistence. The preexistence spirits come down and inhabit babies at the time of birth and their memories of the preexistence are lost at the time. Furthermore, faithful Mormons, who pay a full 10% tithe of their income to the Mormon church through Mormon temples, have the potential of becoming gods of their own planets and are then able to start the procedure over again.

So, God was once human and was married. The human god and his wife somehow became gods and then how a child,Jesus, who is not only isn't the ONLY eternal son of the ONE God (as the Bible teaches), but is our collective brother - along with the devil and all of our other human brothers. But the Bible says ONLY faith in Jesus as the Resurrected Son of God, Who is God Himself, is the path to heaven. Yet Mormonism teaches we must buy our way into heaven - and, if faithful to good deeds and tithing required by the Mormon Church, we then have the potential to become gods ourselves. Wow, sounds like the ultimate Ponzi scheme, to me.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Murray wrote:
The book of mormon can seriously not be that bad, we have had so few instances when so called "extremist" mormons emerge.

I'm in agreement with Philip on this.. Murry perhaps you might want to study Mormonism sometime. It is most certainly demonic in its doctrine... I find it incredible how anyone would gravitate to it. It's REALLY bad..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Philip wrote:Make no mistake about it, Mormons like Romney ARE NOT CHRISTIANS.
Absolutely 100 percent correct... y@};-

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

aside from it's extremely messed up views on god and Jesus, what is demonic about it?(that is an actual question as I have never even touched a book of Mormon.)

I get that it is literally a fairy tale but what makes it so bad?

And remember, people play our religion as demonic in some ways, may I say again. Perhaps we lack understanding? Again I have 0 idea, love to see some Mormon scripture, you have peaked my interest.

And a question for you all, do you believe Mormons (other than their founders) will go to heaven? They seem to follow the bible, and I think they may kind of have a system of repentance, or something, I don't know.... I cannot imagine they go to hell however, very spiritual people.

A neat fact, Mormons have the lowest percentage of teen pregnancies of any religion. But then again, I guess most "Christian" girls who get pregnant are not really extraordinarily
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Murray wrote:aside from it's extremely messed up views on god and Jesus, what is demonic about it?(that is an actual question as I have never even touched a book of Mormon.)

I get that it is literally a fairy tale but what makes it so bad?
Did you see what Philip wrote? One of the big one's is that you evolve into a god, that their god cursed the blacks with black skin, polygamy with multiple wives, magical seer stones to decode the book of Mormon, gold tablets that disapeared, no archeology to support claims, salvation by works, etc.. Want more?
Murray wrote:And remember, people play our religion as demonic in some ways, may I say again. Perhaps we lack understanding? Again I have 0 idea, love to see some Mormon scripture, you have peaked my interest.

And a question for you all, do you believe Mormons (other than their founders) will go to heaven? They seem to follow the bible, and I think they may kind of have a system of repentance, or something, I don't know.... I cannot imagine they go to hell however, very spiritual people.
They to not follow the Bible. We have to be very careful before accusations are made. As for hell their doctrine is hell-bound, as for who goes to hell only God can make that decision.
Murray wrote:A neat fact, Mormons have the lowest percentage of teen pregnancies of any religion. But then again, I guess most "Christian" girls who get pregnant are not really extraordinarily
And the Mormons have one of the highest suicide rates too. Don't forget that they do their "so called" good works to obtain godhood..

Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

You seem to think I am defending mormanism...... I'm pretty sound on my history, and I am pretty aware that almost nothing of the giberish in TBOM is historically acurate.

And you gave me 2 examples, thats great. Really I just would like to see "demonic" phrases in their doctrine. If I see like "hail satan for he is all powerful" then I would call it demonic.

I hardly consider mormanism demonic, that is like saying scientology is demonic. A man wrote it to make money, yes it's bad , yes it is flawed, yes it is racist, but how does that make them satan loving.

Do you forget that they follow the bible as well and believe it to be the word of god? When their missionarys come to your door they do not offer only TBOM but also the KJB.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Murray wrote:You seem to think I am defending mormanism...... I'm pretty sound on my history, and I am pretty aware that almost nothing of the giberish in TBOM is historically acurate.

And you gave me 2 examples, thats great. Really I just would like to see "demonic" phrases in their doctrine. If I see like "hail satan for he is all powerful" then I would call it demonic.
2 examples? Look what we wrote again...
Murray wrote:I hardly consider mormanism demonic, that is like saying scientology is demonic. A man wrote it to make money, yes it's bad , yes it is flawed, yes it is racist, but how does that make them satan loving.

Do you forget that they follow the bible as well and believe it to be the word of god?
Sure anyone can claim they follow the Bible.. Anyone.. But do they?
Murray wrote:When their missionarys come to your door they do not offer only TBOM but also the KJB.
So? The Muslims also say that they believe in the Bible.. Are they right too?

Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

where did I say the mormons are right?

and the mormons are farrr different that muslims. Muslims do not cite bible verses to defend their religon, muslims do not believe jesus is the savior, messia, and the son of god (i think mormons do? correct me please).

Muslims have a low veiw of jesus really, they do not follow his teachings to any extent as the mormons do
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Murray wrote:where did I say the mormons are right?
Where have you said that they aren't wrong? You stated that "The book of mormon can seriously not be that bad." So where is your proof?
Murray wrote:and the mormons are farrr different that muslims. Muslims do not cite bible verses to defend their religon, muslims do not believe jesus is the savior, messia, and the son of god (i think mormons do? correct me please).
Just for the record.. Muslims see Jesus merely as a prophet, but they do believe in him. Mormons see Jesus merely as a god of many gods..
Murray wrote:Muslims have a low veiw of jesus really, they do not follow his teachings to any extent as the mormons do
They both destroy the meaning of Christ. While Mormons don't have the killing record as the Muslims, they can also kill by spirit.

Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

They kill spiritually............. wow

Maybe you are taking this a bit far. May I say for a 3rd time we have some things in our book that non-Christians may not understand, does that make them bad and "demonic" no...

Think, do you think Joseph smith would have made a demonic book? He had to convert hundreds of Christians to his cult....

If I were to write a fairy tale, would I make it full of hatred? Yea maybe his book a 2 instances of racism, but do you realize this was the mood of people at the day and probably served a purpose in attracting people? It's not a book of Satan; it is a book of MAN.

Smith was not an agent a Satan, just a con man trying to make money.

And you did you take in the fact that they read and follow and believe the bible to be the word of god just as much as we do? Sure they have some messed up belief on that other book, but they still have the good book, it's like 60% Christian 40% cult. They live as Christians, the follow Jesus’ teaching, Muslims do not ,they follow Muhammad’s man made code of slaughter and bigotry to other.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

It's not a book of Satan; it is a book of MAN.
Murray, Anyone who knows Scripture also knows that the Bible warns against false prophets and those who would deceive with "strange doctrines." Scripture is filled with many warnings about false prophets (Matthew 24:11, 24; 2 Corinthians 11:4, 13; 1 John 4:1) and people teaching strange doctrines (2 Peter 2:12; Galatians 1:6-8; Hebrews 13:9). So Smith's book is "not a book of Satan? In Acts 13:10, the Apostle Paul, ("filled with the Holy Spirit) even confronted one such similar deceiver of the true Gospel by saying, “You are a child of the devil and an enemy of everything that is right! You are full of all kinds of deceit and trickery. Will you never stop perverting the right ways of the Lord?" (In other words, ANY twisting or changing what Scripture teaches). Just as Joseph Smith's supposed revelations from God were designed to deceive, God calls just such a person the "child of the devil." So, not only does Joseph Smith's Book of Mormon contradict and distort many key teachings of the Bible concerning important issues involving Jesus and salvation, but he also ignored Jesus' direct command to not add to what had already been given, and thus completed 18 centuries before.

Also note that the information in the Bible is more than sufficient for our salvation (2 Timothy 3:15, etc.) and instruction, until Christ returns (2 Peter 1:19). And in a direct warning to those like Joseph Smith, who would dare to ADD to the CLOSED cannon of Scripture, Revelation 22:18 reads: "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, if any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book." (Revelation 22:18). And it shouldn't be of any surprise that this severe warning comes at the very end of the Bible, as at the time he wrote Revelation, John was the very last of the apostles and prophets (all the others had been martyred). Note also that, as for these stern words of warning, John testifies that Jesus Himself told him (in a "loud voice" to “Write what you see in a book and send it to the seven churches."
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Murray wrote:They kill spiritually............. wow
Yes they do....
Murray wrote:Maybe you are taking this a bit far. May I say for a 3rd time we have some things in our book that non-Christians may not understand, does that make them bad and "demonic" no...

Think, do you think Joseph smith would have made a demonic book? He had to convert hundreds of Christians to his cult....
Joseph Smith was a deceiver, no doubt about that.. Whether he knew that or not I couldn't tell you, that could be anyone's guess. My guess is that he was possessed.
Murray wrote:If I were to write a fairy tale, would I make it full of hatred? Yea maybe his book a 2 instances of racism, but do you realize this was the mood of people at the day and probably served a purpose in attracting people? It's not a book of Satan; it is a book of MAN.
It is a satanical book.. Anything that thwarts the message of the Gospels is satanic.
Murray wrote:Smith was not an agent a Satan, just a con man trying to make money.
Smith claims that he was visited by angles. Where they good or bad angels? Have you ever read the BoM before?
Murray wrote:And you did you take in the fact that they read and follow and believe the bible to be the word of god just as much as we do? Sure they have some messed up belief on that other book, but they still have the good book, it's like 60% Christian 40% cult. They live as Christians, the follow Jesus’ teaching, Muslims do not ,they follow Muhammad’s man made code of slaughter and bigotry to other.
The Mormons have a good book?? They do not follow Christ's teachings and reading the Bible get's you nowhere.... Absolutely NOTHING. Putting it in your heart and living by it is what counts.