Sinning in Dreams

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Sinning in Dreams

Post by Silvertusk »

Hi.

If you sin in your dreams - is that sinning in reality?

Silvertusk.
Noah1201
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Re: Sinning in Dreams

Post by Noah1201 »

Unless it's something like lust...no.
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

Actually i don't think so, i think if you do "sin" in your dreams its more of what's in your mind or what as come across it for example is stuff that you enjoy or hate or even stuff that you took particular notice when you're awake , so that if you ever do "sin" in your dreams i think its a testimony to your/our sinful hearts. But Noah if what you say is true then why is it only lust that is sinful in dreams? What about when im having a dream where i'm fighting with some one and i kill him or i'm lying not to get in trouble?
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

I would say no, simply because that in our dreams we are not consciously deciding....however, that being said, we dream oftentimes of what we think about, do, say, more often that other things. So sometimes we dream about people, dream about doing something, because we focused much of our brain on that and thus it carried to our dreams.

I think this is an excellent example of Philippians "whatever is true, noble, righteous...think on these things" because the more we entertain these thoughts, the more they are with us....so if our thoughts are on more sinful theings, then that would certianly carry through to our sleep. Of course dreaming of sinning is simply inevitable to some degree because we are sinful.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Hyperdrive
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Hyperdrive »

The only time I have such dreams is if I sin beforehand while awake--and they are about the same thing.
Last edited by Hyperdrive on Tue May 10, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delight yourself in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37:4
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I think, if our dreams represent what we generally hold in our minds and hearts then we need to check if it is alright with the Word of God, for lust you an say because Jesus expressibly commanded not to have vile thoughts. But then again I would say that we remember that out bodies are for God and whatever in it should be as glorifying to God as can be done. Let us look at the scripture,

Psalm 26:2
Test me, O LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind;

Psalm 17:3
Though you probe my heart and examine me at night, though you test me, you will find nothing; I have resolved that my mouth will not sin.

Psalm 139:1-2
O Lord, you have searched me and known me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off

Psalm 19:12-14
Who can discern his errors? Forgive my hidden faults. Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me. Then will I be blameless, innocent of great transgression. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 139:23-24
Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Isaiah 55:6-7
Seek the Lord while He may be found, call upon Him while He is near. Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, and He will have mercy on him; and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon.

Proverbs 17:3
The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but the LORD tests the heart.

We can say that if our thoughts and general behavior are ruling our dreams then we need to make sure that we consciously do not allow sin to enter in our life or our thoughts, because then sin resides in us, one way or the other. The lord is holy and remember he lives in a holy place. you can't have godliness and impurity ruling side by side, one would always prevail the other. You can't have two masters. King David clearly talks about sins that we may not even know rests in our thoughts we should always ask the lord to show us our weaknesses.

God bless
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
kevdog19
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by kevdog19 »

I don't think it's a sin. Your probably just role playing a fantasy, and I could be wrong but giving your mind free reign to live out that fantasy gives you an outlet and makes it less likely that you'll actually commit the sin. Don't let it shake you.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Completely disagree. Fantasy does not prevent the actual sin, it usually make you more likely to in.

Philippians 4: 8
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

You should not encourage sinful thoughts.....
kevdog19
Recognized Member

Post by kevdog19 »

this is the unconcious mind we're talking about. One of the main things it does is produce fantasy's. Well let's ask the poster do you feel like you had an outlet and are less likely to commit the act? or are you entrigiud and inspired to commit the act? This is interesting, I've never done a bad thing in a dream other then like be aggresive sexually.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Dreams are the result of what we think. If we are thinking it during the day we are more likely to dream it. So there is a very clear link between the conscious and subconscious.
kevdog19
Recognized Member

Post by kevdog19 »

right, and maybe it provided an outlet for those unconcious thoughts, like a garbage disposal.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

kevdog19 wrote:right, and maybe it provided an outlet for those unconcious thoughts, like a garbage disposal.

Kevin, you a used a bad drug that alter your mind severely - you need help... That drug has severe side effects that last a long time --

What other ones are you taking?
kevdog19 wrote:I used to use ketamine like it's nobody's business. I mean I'd shoot it. It was something else but something was missing, any divine relevance so I quite 5 years ago. This may sound funny but after I left it I was wide open and Satan filled the void. Got me higher then ketamine which was just crazy. Cause when I was shooting Ketamine things that appeared smaller then my body were like atomically small and the things that were bigger then me appeared cosmically big, and Satan seemed to do the same things without the drugs, create the same illusions. But I believe all reliaty is an illusion so I respect it I was just happy just not to stick a needle in my arm twice a day. I was blowing out my veins, I had to change up every two months. It was crazy, ketamine is the drug to acess your unconcious mind, then Satan was the god to acess the unconcios mind. Maybe I'm lost, maybe I'm found, I'm confused, you all know I want to believe I just can't have faith.
Looks like satan has been robbing you of your mind and sleep -- How's it workin' for you???

Kevin, You need treatment for your addiction... go to a treatment center and get help - call a sucide and drug prevention hotline ASAP...
...At sufficiently high doses of the drug ketamine (often .25 grams (0.0088 oz) - .5 grams (0.018 oz) or more), it is common to experience a "K-hole". This is a slang term for a subjective state of dissociation from the body which may mimic the phenomenology of schizophrenia...

From this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-hole
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
kevdog19
Recognized Member

Post by kevdog19 »

repeating messages doesn't do any help, the time flys by so fast. God recoginizes us so well. Nothing evaporates us into something. Helping someone goes into the golden goose. We''ll all be found. Drugs aren't a bottimless pit.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

You generally dream about things you do not have thus dreaming about sin means that you are without that certain sin
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte