Atheist forums

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
dorkmaster
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Atheist forums

Post by dorkmaster »

So I visited an atheist forum today, and an article about Jesus caught my eye. They supposedly had proven Jesus never really existed. What do you all think?
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Atheist forums

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Last I talked with Jesus about it, He seems to think that they haven't ......
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

dorkmaster wrote:So I visited an atheist forum today, and an article about Jesus caught my eye. They supposedly had proven Jesus never really existed. What do you all think?
I think you should tell them that you read an article that proved their article didn't exist.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
godfavour
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by godfavour »

It is difficult to argue this without knowing their argument and train of thought. I have no trouble believing the factual evidence in history for the existence of Christ; in the same way that an unbelieiving work colleague of mine, who is also a scientist, achnowledges the historical reality of the person of Jesus. Let's see what the argument is to 'prove' the non-existence of Jesus
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Well you have the 4 gospels for a start - you have all of Pauls Letters - basically the entire new testament - and just because they are part of the Cannon - does not mean that they can't be taken on their own merits. You have external sources such as Josephus, Pliny, Titus - all collaborating the existance of Jesus - and the growth of the church itself is a good testament that he existed.

Oh and I have read plenty of articles that prove that true Athiests don't exist either.

Silvertusk.
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

godfavour wrote:It is difficult to argue this without knowing their argument and train of thought.
They don't have any actually. It's all a big bluff - they just blurt out anything anti-Christian, hoping that it would shake our faith. One guy recently claimed that "Jesus never existed, and science proved that fact" (I love it how they stole science from us Christians). I wouldn't worry about atheist forums, though I sometimes browse them as I find their ignorance and hatred an interesting socio-psychological phenomenon (Although recently, I don't have to do it because they flooded most of ordinary forums :ewink: ). However, mind that reasoning with them is just as useful as reasoning with a wall.
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

By definition, science cannot prove a negative.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Atheisim and science don't always go together it seems.
I think that many atheists fall into the same trap that many believers do - they tend to only read books and views that they agree on.
They will read a book about how Jesus never existed, because they want to believe that, and they will agree with the "facts and figures' in that book, but they will NOT read any book countering it NOR will most of them ever read books showing the evidence, both biblical and non-bilical, for his existence.
There are a few out there, a good one is by Van Voorst called Jesus outside the New testament and it shows the extra canonical sources for testimonies about Jesus.
There is also NT wrights volumous books: Jesus and the Victory Of God and The Ressurection of the son of God.
And a few others to say the least.
coldblood
Recognized Member

Post by coldblood »

I find it difficult to prove that unicorns never existed, so I would be fascinated to see how they structured their argument.
dorkmaster
Recognized Member

Post by dorkmaster »

After visiting another forum, I've come to the conclusion that some people are just hate-mongers... Sad really.
FearlessLlearsy
Established Member

Post by FearlessLlearsy »

The Bible really does say that a Fool will not understand Scripture. I just laugh when i see those things pop up------ At the same time, it saddens my heart, because those people are really running towards the broad gates of hell...
Live a life with no FEAR, for the battle is already won. The Devil and his minions only cry in agonizing pain, realizing the victory is OURS.
dorkmaster
Recognized Member

Post by dorkmaster »

As I alluded to before, I'm not a mean or angry enough person to be atheist. Hate seems to be their only weapon