A few assorted and thought provoking ?s about heaven

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

A few assorted and thought provoking ?s about heaven

Post by cubeus19 »

Hello everyone,

I got a few assorted questions about heaven that have been on my mind and I'd like to discuss.

First off, how will Christians of different denominations get along with people in heaven? Also, how will two Christians who had major personal issues with each other get along in heaven? For example, my grandparents (on my dad's side) who are both believers, back in the late 80s when through a bitter divorce. How will they for instance, get along in heaven? Will God re-do our minds and our brains so we will be unable to have any kind of ill will toward anyone?

Also, (like how most heaven descriptions go) will heaven basically be a revision of 1st. century Israel or 1st. century Rome just with gold and fine jewels or will heaven transcend time periods? For instance, many descriptions of heaven include horses,chariots, and manual farming but no mention of computers, cars, or anything in between the 1st. century and today. After all, it isn't like things like computers and cars are evil in and of themselves. For instance a computer to me, is much like a knife it can be used for both good and evil, cutting someone free, in cooking, or for killing someone. It all depends upon who's hands it is in.

And finally will there be things in heaven that will make up for a person's "broken dreams". Take for instance, a young man, who dies in a terrible car accident much before his time. This man had a major dream at being a software engineer and really wanted a wife, children, and have a family. The man lived for these things. Assuming that this man is a Christian (according to most descriptions and biblical data we have on heaven) since there is no marriage, no parenting, and possibly no computers or software, will this man forever feel let down since he couldn't live out his dreams, or will he be happy regardless?

As far as I can tell, here are the possible scenarios (that I can think of )

1. He will forever feel disappointed for not being able to accomplish the things he wanted to but since he's in heaven he's just happy to be there.

2. God allows him to live out his dreams in a supernatural virtual reality sense by allowing him to telleport to a "virtual reality perfect mach version" of this world to where he could do such things.

3. God gives him or allows him to experience things in heaven that would give him the same wonderful feelings, experiences, sensations, and accomplishments (or feelings of accomplishment) that he would have gotten if he was able to accomplish his dreams while on earth.

And again, I know even this stuff is wild speculation but at the very least I want to be on the same page with every other thinking Christian on things like this. I'm very curious to see what you all's take on this is. Thank you have a great night.
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: A few assorted and thought provoking ?s about heaven

Post by Katabole »

Hi Cubeus.

You brought up a few scenarios based on opinion. To my knowledge, scripture has little to say about the way it will be in heaven but there is enough to make some generalizations.

Isa 65:17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.(KJV)

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2Pet 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

When Jesus spoke to the Sadducees who didn't believe in life after death, this is what he said to them:

Matt 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

Matt 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

Mark 12:24 And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?

Mark 12:25 For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.

Probably the most eloquent example that Christ uses as an illustration is the parable of the rich man and Lazarus in Luke 16. Two men died on the same day, one ended up on the good side of paradise and one ended up on the not so good side. I believe the rich man was burning, not in Hell, but in his own shame because he realized that not only was there life after death, but that by living his flamboyant, carefree lifestyle he didn't make it to the good side.

I believe that life in the futuristic heaven and earth age will be so fantastic and so far beyond our comprehension that our human imaginations as limited by the flesh simply cannot understand it.

Don't know if that helps you but anything else on my part would be conjecture.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

When we die our SPIRIT returns to God.
It awaits the end of times when our bodies will be reunited with our spirit and ressurected.
Since God is an all emcompassing force of love, I don't think that being in his presence will bring out anything but joy and love.
Will, accept for those that reject his grace and love of course.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by BavarianWheels »

If God created Adam and Eve and saw that they were good, why wouldn't the same be again good apart from sin?

I believe life in heaven/the new earth will eventually be much the same as we know it now. We will live, love, work, marry...and all the time fellowshipping with God and specifically, Christ.
cubeus19
Established Member

Post by cubeus19 »

Wow your description sounds almost like the mormon version of heaven. I thought you were a 7th day adventist. :econfused:
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

The idea of a renewed earth and our living physically upon it in our new bodies is actually a strong tradition in Christianity. The idea of a future heaven where we're disconnected from the earth entered Christian theology, many believe, through Pagan influences when the Church merged into Roman Society.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
cubeus19
Established Member

Post by cubeus19 »

Ok Bart, then where do believers who have died go when they die? Since the new earth isn't here yet, where do they go or at least, according to your views?
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

We will live, love, work, marry...and all the time fellowshipping with God and specifically, Christ.
"Jesus replied, "Are you not in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God? For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven."(Mark12:24-25)

Wheels, how do you reconcile your statement with the Words of Christ?

"in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed." (1 Cor 15:52)
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I got a few assorted questions about heaven that have been on my mind and I'd like to discuss.

First off, how will Christians of different denominations get along with people in heaven? Also, how will two Christians who had major personal issues with each other get along in heaven? For example, my grandparents (on my dad's side) who are both believers, back in the late 80s when through a bitter divorce. How will they for instance, get along in heaven? Will God re-do our minds and our brains so we will be unable to have any kind of ill will toward anyone?

Also, (like how most heaven descriptions go) will heaven basically be a revision of 1st. century Israel or 1st. century Rome just with gold and fine jewels or will heaven transcend time periods? For instance, many descriptions of heaven include horses,chariots, and manual farming but no mention of computers, cars, or anything in between the 1st. century and today. After all, it isn't like things like computers and cars are evil in and of themselves. For instance a computer to me, is much like a knife it can be used for both good and evil, cutting someone free, in cooking, or for killing someone. It all depends upon who's hands it is in.

And finally will there be things in heaven that will make up for a person's "broken dreams". Take for instance, a young man, who dies in a terrible car accident much before his time. This man had a major dream at being a software engineer and really wanted a wife, children, and have a family. The man lived for these things. Assuming that this man is a Christian (according to most descriptions and biblical data we have on heaven) since there is no marriage, no parenting, and possibly no computers or software, will this man forever feel let down since he couldn't live out his dreams, or will he be happy regardless?

As far as I can tell, here are the possible scenarios (that I can think of )

1. He will forever feel disappointed for not being able to accomplish the things he wanted to but since he's in heaven he's just happy to be there.

2. God allows him to live out his dreams in a supernatural virtual reality sense by allowing him to telleport to a "virtual reality perfect mach version" of this world to where he could do such things.

3. God gives him or allows him to experience things in heaven that would give him the same wonderful feelings, experiences, sensations, and accomplishments (or feelings of accomplishment) that he would have gotten if he was able to accomplish his dreams while on earth.

And again, I know even this stuff is wild speculation but at the very least I want to be on the same page with every other thinking Christian on things like this. I'm very curious to see what you all's take on this is. Thank you have a great night.
Your context needs to be a little adjusted, it may very well be as you say or hope but remember that all these things are there because the earthly body we have demands or like it, in heaven it will be different and even if these things would be there, in spirit and heavenly body we might not have any use of them at all. just like in space you can not any games that needs gravity because it wouldn't work. hope you get my drift.

On a side note, the God who created us and the extremely beautiful universe - he must have a lot of surprises for us. :ewink:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com