Possible Major Christian discovery.

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Swimmy
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Possible Major Christian discovery.

Post by Swimmy »

British archaeologists are seeking to authenticate what could be a landmark discovery in the documentation of early Christianity: a trove of 70 lead codices that appear to date from the 1st century CE, which may include key clues to the last days of Jesus' life. As UK Daily Mail reporter Fiona Macrae writes, some researchers are suggesting this could be the most significant find in Christian archeology since the Dead Sea scrolls in 1947.

The codices turned up five years ago in a remote cave in eastern Jordan—a region where early Christian believers may have fled after the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem in 70 CE. The codices are made up of wirebound individual pages, each roughly the size of a credit card. They contain a number of images and textual allusions to the Messiah, as well as some possible references to the crucifixion and resurrection. Some of the codices were sealed, prompting yet more breathless speculation that they could include the sealed book, shown only to the Messiah, mentioned in the Book of Revelation. One of the few sentences translated thus far from the texts, according to the BBC, reads, "I shall walk uprightly"--a phrase that also appears in Revelation. "While it could be simply a sentiment common in Judaism," BBC writer Robert Pigott notes, "it could here be designed to refer to the resurrection."

But the field of biblical archaeology is also prey to plenty of hoaxes and enterprising fraudsters, so investigators are proceeding with due empirical caution. Initial metallurgical research indicates that the codices are about 2,000 years old--based on the manner of corrosion they have undergone, which, as Macrae writes, "experts believe would be impossible to achieve artificially."

Beyond the initial dating tests, however, little is confirmed about the codices or what they contain. And the saga of their discovery has already touched off a battle over ownership rights between Israel and Jordan. As the BBC's Pigott recounts, the cache surfaced when a Jordanian Bedouin saw a menorah—the Jewish religious candleabra—exposed in the wake of a flash flood. But the codices somehow passed into the ownership of an Israeli Bedouin named Hassam Saeda, who claims that they have been in his family's possession for the past 100 years. The Jordanian government has pledged to "exert all efforts at every level" to get the potentially priceless relics returned, Pigott reports.

Meanwhile, biblical scholars who have examined the codices point to significant textual evidence suggesting their early Christian origin. Philip Davies, emeritus professor of Old Testament Studies at Sheffield University, told Pigott he was "dumbstruck" at the sight of plates representing a picture map of ancient Jerusalem. "There is a cross in the foreground, and behind it is what has to be the tomb [of Jesus], a small building with an opening, and behind that the walls of the city," Davies explained. "There are walls depicted on other pages of these books, too, and they almost certainly refer to Jerusalem."

David Elkington, an ancient religion scholar who heads the British research team investigating the find, has likewise pronounced this nothing less than "the major discovery of Christian history." Elkington told the Daily Mail that "it is a breathtaking thought that we have held these objects that might have been held by the early saints of the Church."

Still, other students of early Christian history are urging caution, citing precedents such as the debunked discovery of an ossuary said to contain Jesus' bones. New Testament scholar Larry Hurtado observes that since these codices are miniature, they were likely intended for private, rather than liturgical, use. This would likely place their date of origin closer to the 3rd century CE. But only further research and full translation of the codices can fully confirm the nature of the find. The larger lesson here is likely that of Eccliastes 3:1—be patient, since "to everything there is a season."

(David Elkington/Rex Features/Rex USA)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookou ... an-history
cubeus19
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Possible Major Christian discovery.

Post by cubeus19 »

Nice! I was wondering if this is proven to be real and legitimate would this demolish skeptics arguments that the life of Christ and his resurrection were not part of legend?
Swimmy
Established Member

Post by Swimmy »

cubeus19 wrote:Nice! I was wondering if this is proven to be real and legitimate would this demolish skeptics arguments that the life of Christ and his resurrection were not part of legend?
No. They'll come up with another excuse. Like it could be another Jesus or one of the copycat saviors.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Here is the picture of them... Interesting find. Thanks for posting..

The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I guess that titles are everything, LOL !
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 22&t=35561

It's all good :)
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

I'm sure the Mormons will jump all over this one.. Tablets and such. :lol:
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Gman wrote:I'm sure the Mormons will jump all over this one.. Tablets and such. :lol:
Lol, yes. I'm sure they'll find some link to Joseph Smith's Jordanian origin.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Speaking of "cults", IF this relic is dated to the 1st century and with its pictures of crosses ( in the shape of a T), I wonder how the JW's that say that Christ was impaled (nailed) on a stake (vertical post) and not a cross and that the cross was a 4th century pagan image adopted by the apostate church, will react to this.
Sudsy
Established Member

Post by Sudsy »

PaulSacramento wrote:Speaking of "cults", IF this relic is dated to the 1st century and with its pictures of crosses ( in the shape of a T), I wonder how the JW's that say that Christ was impaled (nailed) on a stake (vertical post) and not a cross and that the cross was a 4th century pagan image adopted by the apostate church, will react to this.
What about most crosses used by those considered not 'cults' being small 't' crosses ? Perhaps most of Christianity is picturing their crosses incorrectly.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

grt find silvertusk..thnx for sharing
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

I am very annoyed though - I had high hopes for this one because it would have been good corraboration for the earliest traditions of Christianity and would have complimented the gospels really nicely. Some people will have to answer for this when it comes to Judgement.
cubeus19
Established Member

Post by cubeus19 »

Anymore you can't believe any kind of news story that's wrote up. It also reminds me of that archeology team from China who claim to have found Noah's ark and even took "video" inside it. But even though we may no longer want to believe these "new" things that come up which may strengthen our faith, this will certainly give us even more rational ground to equally reject anything new news article that's written from the atheist point of view in effort to destroy our faith. So needless to say it cuts both ways.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Look at it this way though: It goes that way for every worldview.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Do we need more evidence? Will it sway those guided by satan?
-
-
-
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia